Reload this Page >

Reviews of Sweet Smell of Success

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 03:34 PM
Melinda

How is the advance word on Sweet Smell of Success? I'm considering going next week ... Thanks!

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 05:52 PM
x

Try the New York Times online.

Old Mar 12th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Howard

It doesn't open until Thursday evening.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:46 AM
Howard

It opened last night, and the reviews were not veru good.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 05:48 AM
lisa

The review was terrible and confirmed what a co-worker told me -- boring and bad music. What a shame.

Old Mar 15th, 2002, 06:28 AM
Ellen

Seeing it tonight. Will report back over the weekend. I too heard it was not very good, but prefer to form my own opinions. Three 'theater' friends thought Edward Albee's The Goat was awful. My husband and I enjoyed. It's what makes the world go 'round I guess.

Old Mar 16th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Bought Tickets Too Soon

I know that the Times review was bad, but Clive Barnes' Post review was very positive. We bought tickets a few weeks ago for the end of May. ???? If the show was to close early due to poor reviews and audience reception, how long before that usually happens? If it's that boring, I would love to get my $$ back and spend it and my time, on another show.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 04:01 AM
kay

ttt

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 03:16 PM

What does ttt mean? I have seen it posted quite a few times.

Old Mar 17th, 2002, 03:20 PM
To

To The Top
Topping
bringing the thread To The Top

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:26 AM
Ellen

Saw Sweet Smell on Saturday Night. Here is the lowdown:
Cons: No,the songs were not memorable. I didn't walk away humming a tune. But, that can be said of many musicals. I understand the need for consistancy, but they could cut out about 5 songs. Dancing was somewhat repetative & dull. Could be tightened up a bit.
Pros: The acting & singing was first rate. John Lithgow is perfect for the role. The sets were clever & the story is solid.
Final word: I could recommend it as an enjoyable evening of entertainment. It is not up there with the classics, but it was interesting, funny, and well performed. Not a waste of money by any means.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:36 AM
patg

The Chicago Tribune had a summary of the half a dozen NY reviews in Sunday's paper. (The play had its tryout in Chicago.) It should be available on their website

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 07:52 AM
Ken

ttt

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:05 AM
marguerite

Since this just opened, I would assume that it will be awhile before it shows up at TKTS; are there any seats under $55 for evening performaces (not a student rate)? Telecharge etc. seem to only have certain prices on-line although when I read reviews etc. there is a wider range.

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 08:23 AM
ttt

ttt

Old Mar 18th, 2002, 09:03 AM
Nina

Thanks Ellen, now I don't feel as bad about forking out $$$$ to Telecharge.;-)

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 10:40 AM
ttt

Old Mar 19th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Howard

Muarguerite, it is quite possible that there will be tickets on sale at TKTS soon, if not already, since most of the reviews were quite negative.