Search

Review my NYC itinerary for October trip

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Review my NYC itinerary for October trip

Hi all,

I have been to NYC several times over the years, with my folks, my husband and my friends.

This year, I am happily taking my 10 year old daughter for her birthday. I was supposed to wait until she was 16 but who can really wait? Certainly not me!

We will be going with a friend and her daughter as well.

I am looking for comments about my itinerary, both generally and specifically, when to fit in going to the "Top of the Rock", as it is something we have been planning to do and suggestions for a Monday eve Chinese dinner.

At the current time, we have reservations in Midtown, but may change if the prices go down - "good luck with that" I mumble to myself because the prices are skyrocketing for October.

Saturday
Arrive hotel early am and drop off stuff
Walk to Bloomies, Dylan’s Candy Bar
Lunch at Serendipity 3
Les Mis
Back to hotel
Dinner on UES

Sunday
Breakfast at Norma’s
Museum of Natural History
See Columbus Avenue
Visit NBA and Am Girl, Top of the Rock?
Back to hotel - relax
Times Square - Toys R Us
Early pre-theatre dinner
Legally Blonde

Monday
Explore Soho
Tour at Tenement Museum
Lunch at Balthazar
Canal Street
Later dinner, hopefully at a good Chinese restaurant - bot not Chinatown Brasserie or Ruby Foo's - looking for something "mainstream" AND good quality/value - anyone know Chow Bar in the West Village???

Tuesday
Circle Line Cruise
Buy stuff at Whole Foods or Carnegie Deli and picnic in Central Park/ carriage ride
Leave for airport late afternoon

Thanks everyone. I have found this forum a great source of information in the past.

Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:09 PM

I think it looks fine. Two things: I might add one more event the girls would like. Maybe a ride through Central Park on a horse drawn carriage or a harbor cruise? I would not go to Canal Street, unless you have a specific reason to be there.

My daughter (age 17) loved Legally Blonde.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Austin.

On the Tuesday, I actually have a cruise of the harbour and a carriage ride in the park planned.

Glad to hear that Legally Blonde was a hit with your daughter. I think that mine will like it as well. I hope so with the high cost of tickets - sheesh!

We maty skip Canal Street in favour of seeing Greenwich Village that afternoon.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 04:15 PM

oops. Missed that.

Might stop or check out Washington Square Park. There are different things going on there - street performers - that the girls might like.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:13 PM

Having lunch on Saturday at Serendipity before a matinee may well be an issue. There are often very long lines - even if you have reservations - and you're completely crosstown from the theater. Also, the food really isn;t that great. I would tend to eat somewhere else that isn't so mobbed and is on the west side.

You might consider Ellen's Stardust Diner - basic diner fare that's OK - but much closer to the theater and has the kid's fus aspect of performing wait staff. Likely to be much less stressful getting to a matinee on time.

Sunday should be fine for Top of the Rock - get tickets in advance. You might want to try for not long before sunset - so you can see the city both in the day and lit up at night.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Original Poster

We have a 11:30 reservation for Serendipity 3 and then the 2 pm matinee. I would love to skip it altogether, but my friend wants to take her daughter there, and I will oblige. I am hoping that we will be out of there by 1 pm and then cab it over the theatre (or run! depending on traffic).
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:14 PM

The itinerary looks good. I just have a couple of suggestions... on Monday I would start off at the Tenement museum and then go to Balthazar and Soho. Otherwise, you are starting west, going east and then going back west. Then after lunch you can walk around the Lower East Side, which has some great little boutiques. Keep in mind that the wait at Norma's can be very long.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

I thought the same thing - problem is that the earliest tour at the museum on that day is at 1 pm, and we are meeting friends for lunch at Balthazar later. Maybe we will do the LES in the morn, and then Soho after lunch and skip Canal Street altogether.
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:20 PM

Serendipity is one of the highlights of our trips to NYC for my daughter. We only go for the desserts. Frozen hot chocolate and their apple pie and carrot cake are both excellent. Save room for dessert!
Old Sep 16th, 2007, 07:50 PM

Jamierin, I hope you got discount tickets for Legally Blonde, their best seats available can be gotten through the regular source (Ticketmaster) at 45% off, that's $67.50 each through October 28th.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Patrick - Unfortunately, I did not get the discount owing to the fact that we got the tickets in March, before the show even started. The good news is that although I paid $80 too much total, I got 4th row orchestra centre.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 05:48 AM

I took my two girls 12 and 16 at the time to NYC last April. I'm returning with one next month to look at NYU. They absolutely loved the Party Shuttle tour of NYC. They saw so much, it was easy and they could ask lots of questions as we had a small group. We saw "Rent" which was a little old , but they already knew all about it. Personally, I wouldn'tpick Les Mis for a 10 yr old. I thought it was dark and tiring somewhat. I remember leaving the theatre feeling depressed... Anyway, I think a bit of Canal St is fun. My girls thought it was a hoot. Have a great trip! I hope we get to do the park at least once, we had pouring down rain on our scheduled day. Leave some flexibility if possible.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of the input. I already have the tickets for Les Mis. I was second guessing that one too but oh well- they'll see something fun and upbeat the next day.

A question about Ruby Foo's - which one has better food? TS or UWS? Thinking of going to the UWS location because then we can walk around afterwards. We will have already done a bit of Times Square by then, and prob. had enough of it. What do you think? Anyone been to both? Either?
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 08:57 AM

I have been to both several times and live right near the UWS location. The food quality is the same at both but I much prefer the one on the UWS. The space is better, nowhere near as cramped and neighborhood is so much nicer. Make sure to have the chocolate cake for dessert. After spending a bit of time in Times Square, you will probably want to get away from it for a bit.

Don't worry about your choice of Les Miserable. I saw it as a little kid and have seen it a few times since -- there are always kids in the audience. It's a great show.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:01 AM
dmlove

I agree about Les Mis -- it isn't Mamma Mia, but it's a great show, with wonderful music. You might want to summarize the plot for her before you go.

Old Sep 17th, 2007, 09:40 AM

You might also want to get a CD of the music. That familiarity factor works well. btw.....I got Phantom tickets, 5th row for Oct 16....60 bucks each.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 11:21 AM

I would definitely do the Village instead of Canal Street. Washington Square park is a great suggestion.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 01:09 PM

Are they Girl Scouts? A visit to National Headquarters at 37th and 5th is worthwhile.
Old Sep 17th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Yeah, after looking at that Greenwich Village post it kinda got me thinking that it would be a great place to stroll through. And , of course, they should have a Magnolia cupcake (and I love their yummy banana, artery-clogging, pudding).

Old Sep 18th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I have been a Magnolia fan for years, have waited in line countless times and have baked their cupcakes at home. Lately though, I prefer Crumbs. If you go up to the UWS for Ruby Foos, there is a Crumbs very nearby on Amsterdam at 75th Street.