Reload this Page >

Return UK visitors to USA South West

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 04:57 AM
Joan

Our first visit to the US, South Western States last November was so outstandingly memorable, we're coming back and will be renting a car again.

Question 1 refers to driving regulations in America: You have what I believe are called '4-ways' where 2 major roads meet and cross. We never could figure out the rules for these, i.e. Who has Right of Way? We don't have them in the UK and I think perhaps we annoyed one or two US drivers whilst we tried to make sense of the system. Apart from that problem (which no tour book that I can find explains or even mentions)we managed the driving OK and thought your roads excellent and US drivers generally more tolerant and courteous than in Europe. Hope you all don't think 'dumb limeys - can't figure out a simple thing like that' but it seems we aren't the only ones from the UK puzzled by '4-ways'

Question 2: Someone I know reckons that the 'Hotel California' featured in the Eagles song, really exists. If it does, does anyone know where it is as I would like to try and stay there a night or two?

I dare say I'll be posting more Qs at a later date in preparation, but many thanks in advance to those who take the trouble to reply.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:14 AM
Sandra

Assuming you are talking about a four way stop intersection the rule is that whoever reaches the stop first gets to go first. If two cars reach a stop around the same time the car to your right always as the right of way and they get to go first.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:39 AM
Paul Rabe

So, Joan, your November trip didn't scare you away, even though you couldn't get liquor in Utah? :^) Yes, I still troll this area, even if my e-mail has changed!! Glad you're coming back.

1. There are three basic rules on who has the right of way (ROW) at major intersections.
a) if one direction has a "Stop" or "Yield" facing towards it, and the other one doesn't, the OTHER direction has the ROW. This is identical to European rules. "Yield" does not mean "Stop" unless another vehicle is approaching from a direction without a "Yield."
b) if both directions have "Stop", then the car that arrives at the intersection first has the ROW. This is not always easy to determine; and sometimes I'll just come to a slow stop in order to arrive at an intersection well after another driver, and resolve the confusion.
c) if two vehicles arrive about the same time, both being equal with signs, the car on the right has the ROW. This is NOT an absolute rule, but a general courtesy.

If an intersection with equal approaches (i.e, "Stop" both ways) has several cars backed up, the cars alternate from different directions.

There's no question that many drivers simply go through intersections regardless of who has the ROW. The best rule is to drive defensively and never insist on the ROW. Just lose a few seconds of driving time and then be on your way.

As for "Hotel California," there IS a hotel with that name, but it did not inspire Don Henley's lyrics. He was simply describing the emptiness of southern California life. However, if you think it would be fun to actually stay at the Hotel California, just do a search in InfoSeek and you'll find it listed.

Once again, welcome back!!

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:41 AM
Bob Brown

In Athens, Ga., where I live, we have intersections with 4-way stop signs. The Ga. drivers test asks the same right of way question that you pose. The supposed answer is that the vehicle to the right has the option to go first in cases of concurrent arrival. But in reality, the larger vehicle with the most aggressive driver goes first. Huge American pickup trucks have the de facto right of way over a Toyota Corolla! As for irritating American drivers, they are a surly lot anyhow. Many of them are irritations looking for a place to happen.
Be careful, some of those bozos tote guns. If there is any doubt, motion to the other driver to go ahead. I don't argue right of way. My motto is arrive alive.
I used to like to drive, but I don't any more because crowded conditions and ugly drivers take the fun out of it.
Freeways around Atlanta are a fight for survival. People regularly drive 90 mph in 55 mph zones, weaving in and out of traffic while doing it.
You probably also noticed that in many areas speed limit signs are ways for sign companies to make money; or, at the other extreme, the speed laws are sporadically enforced so that ticketing speeders becomes a source of income for rural counties.
Case in point: we were returning along I 16 to Athens from Savannah a few weeks ago. My wife was driving along at a relatively conservative 75 mph in a 70 mph zone. We were not holding up traffic, but quite a few cars were passing us. Suddenly I saw blue lights in the on-coming lane and told my wife to slow down. A county sheriff's car soon whizzed by and stopped the guy ahead of us. Then we passed the main party. It looked like the entire sheriff's department was out on the Interstate giving tickets to anything that moved. In case you are wondering, normally we think of the state highway patrol as having jurisdiction over main highways, but the sheriff under Georgia law has broad powers. It all varies from state to state, so that speed laws are enforced inconsistently and arbitrarily and unfairly.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 05:55 AM
Howard

Adding to the above posters, if cars are lined up at stop signs, you're supposed to alternate proceding on. However, don't always count on it. The best advice is: "Be cautious and drive defensively." When it doubt, assume the other guy will go first!

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 06:11 AM
Dick

The driving defensively advice is best.

Many years ago, while taking a Drivers Ed in Boston, the instructor told us that, "the right of way belongs to the person that takes it".

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 06:14 AM
pr

the person going straight always has the right of way...if you're turning, you have to wait.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 06:14 AM
pr

the person going straight always has the right of way...if you're turning, you have to wait.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 06:15 AM
pr

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 07:14 AM
Joan

Yes, I get the picture in relation to the driving question. Your responses have helped to clear that up and I thank you all. I think given our relative naivety as US drivers, we will bear in mind Paul's plan B when approaching an intersection - slow up before reaching the intersection and let the other person go ahead.

We certainly did notice that US drivers rarely adhered to the speed limits, especially on the Interstates, which, to us, were really scary roads to drive on because we quickly got the feeling that unless you go with the flow and speed of the rest of the traffic, i.e. you obey the law, this in itself could be quite dangerous. Flagrant disregard for speed limits astonished us as we read so much about how strictly this is enforced in America.

The other thing which puzzles us is the number of different law enforcement vehicles on the highways. What do you have? The County Police, Sheriffs Dept., Highway Patrol, State Police ....
We wondered who has jurisdiction and do they encroach on one another's patch?

Paul, I see what you mean about 'Hotel California' having visited InfoSeek just now (I didn't know about this site!) Having read the words to the song properly, gives a whole new meaning to what I thought was a fairly wacky 70's number (one of my favourites). Anyway, maybe what my colleague meant was that he believed that there exists a hotel somewhere in California which intentionally has the ambience of a 'Hotel California'. A theme hotel?

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 11:56 AM
lynn

Joan, we've never stayed at the Hotel California, but my husband stood on a corner in Winslow, Arizona, just to see if any girls in flatbed Fords would slow down to take a look at him. Much to his chagrin, there were no other cars in sight.

Old Jul 30th, 1999, 02:18 PM
John

Joan,
While the Hotel California is probably a metaphorical (metaphysical?) place rather than one hotel, I somehow recall (misty water colored memories from the 70s - yikes) that some guy told me that a guy told him that it was inspired by the Biltmore Hotel on the beach in Santa Barbara, which is now quite luxe but which (am I right, locals?) went through a rough patch in the early 70s, before the song was written.
This is probably a rumor established by some SB booster who planned on all the grey pony tails trooping there 20 years later, but that's my recollection.
Take it easy.