Search

Retirement Gift

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:04 PM
Jeanne

Retirement Gift

My husband is retiring from Alcoa (Reynolds Metals) after 42 years of service. I have purchased a 3 day hotel-golf holiday for him and our 40 year old son at Pebble Beach. They will be arriving in San Jose, CA. on Saturday night, but their holiday at the PB resorts does not begin until Sunday. Can someone suggest a more economical place for them to sleep than PB (a Sat. night there would be over 400.00). They will be renting a car and driving to PB Sunday morning. Thanks a bunch.

Old Jan 6th, 2002, 04:21 PM
x

There are several hotels in an around the town of Monterray. I believe there is a Doubletree in the middle of town.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 12:34 PM
Ron

Just as "x" said, there are a number of places in Monterey and just a little bit farther on, Pacific Grove, where economy is a little better. It's practically right next to the Seventeen Mile Drive and both Monterey and PG are nice quiet places with lots of restaurants available also.

If there's time and you can pick up a 3A Travel Book for CA there are many to pick from.

Old Jan 7th, 2002, 02:40 PM
Just-Wondering

Jeanne, I guess I'm the only one confused about where you need a hotel for their Saturday night arrival at San Jose, CA.
You wrote: "They will be renting a car and driving to PB Sunday morning."

So, I'm thinking they won't be getting their car until Sunday morning AND you are looking for a hotel near the San Jose Airport.
If that's the case, here a website featuring all the hotels nearby:

http://sanjose.airporthotelguide.com/airporthotels.html

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:48 AM
Bob

I live in both areas. There is a Doubletree hotel near the SJ airport. It is a short van drive from the airport.

If they want to go ahead to Monterey peninsula check out the Pacific Grove website. PacificGrove.org, I believe. The town has a lot of great small places that are only about a 20 minute drive to PB on 17 mile drive the next morning.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Grasshopper

What a great gift! I recommend the Courtyard by Marriott by the airport. I've put guests up there before and it's nice.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:11 PM
Carolyn

None of the places in the above postings are known for economical hotel rooms. Generally, San Jose is expensive because of Silicon Valley and Monterey/Pacific Grove is expensive because of their gorgeous location. The most econonical it gets around this area is to start the trip out of San Jose upon arrival, take 880 south to 1 south. Look for something in Santa Cruz or Watsonville, this is about half way to Pebble and takes less than an hour to get there on weekends. Good luck, economical is hard to come by around here.

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 12:14 PM
Grasshopper

BUT, on Saturday nights hotels in Silicon Valley have discounted rates. Occupancy rates are really high during the week and nearly empty on weekends. Ask for a good rate.

Incidently, I have NO affiliation or vested interest in ANY hotels in Silicon Valley!

Old Jan 8th, 2002, 01:31 PM
Susan

I also am reading this to mean you want a hotel near SJ airport. If so, I'd suggest you do hotwire.com or priceline.com and choose the airport area or downtown. This will give you your best deal and since it is only one night you will avoid the two-night minimum some hotels will impose. If you choose a hotel in the downtown area there will be more interesting dining choices for them in comparison to downtown.