Restaurants this season in Nantucket

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wondering if any of you insiders know what the great restaurants are this season in nantucket. I was saddened to hear of the closing of one of our favorites- the Federal. Is something new in its location? Any others that can be recommended. I am assuming Pearl is still great. That and the Federal were our favs.. TIA!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Of course I mean 21 federal. Just saw ventunorestaurant. Is now there.
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:19 PM

No more 21 Federal. How about that. I only ate there once, but it was kind of an institution on the island, wasn't it?
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

It certainly was-can't believe it isn;t there any longer!
Old Jun 3rd, 2011, 04:07 PM

So, the old cliche' is true: All good things must come to an end. You can read about it here:

http://www.21federal.com/
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 04:41 AM

The new restaurant at 21 Federal Street, Ventuno, is obviously Italian and is owned and operated by the team that owns and operates Straight Wharf Restaurant. I looked at the menu yesterday to see what I can eat (I am diabetic and don't eat pasta or potatoes or bread -- much). It looked good but not compelling, with lots of rabbit, which we do like.

Next week is restaurant week, and we will eat out as much as we can manage and let you know what we find. I know we are going to Ship's Inn one night.

This week we went with friends to Pazzo, the new restaurant by Marco Coehelo, the co-owner of LoLa 41. It is certainly the scene of the hour, and its popularity is well-deserved. The menu is "mediterranean" the way LoLa is Asian fusion. There are small plates, pastas, and mains, with a special section for tagines.

Each couple shared the grilled octopus and potato salad: verdict? A bit vinegary but intensely delicious. Our friend J had lamb, and her husband L had an enormous pork chop with white beans, kale and pancetta. They found both delicious. My wife and I shared the seafood terrine for two -- clams, tender shrimp, plump mussels, fish,and baby octopus in a moroccan scented broth, served with harissa and aioli. My aioli is better (well, much more garlicky) and I am more generous in serving it, but the dish was delicious. Each couple shared a mascarpone cheese cake for dessert. Service was excellent: professional and friendly at the same time. Excellent people watching, too. Prices were moderate for Nantucket, about $75 per person with a good tip and a nice bottle of wine. You could eat well for less, rare here.

We could only get a 6:15 reservation on a Tuesday night, so book early if you want a table. The table area is about a third of the entire space, which has been transformed since it was the disappointing Sfuzzi. The bar is vast, convivial, and very noisy. It will be fabulous in the winter when nothing is much is open, and you can eat there if you can't get a reservation, but you will probably have to wait even for that. Altogether a terrific evening, one that I can't wait to repeat.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Ackislander, I was hoping we would hear from you! Thank you for your review-- you and I were always in agreement that Sfoglia didn't deserve the hype it had received. I'm excited to try Pazzo (and being Italian and a little "Pazzo" myself (crazy), I think i have to!).

We went to Ship's Inn several years ago and while that evening it was near empty (a sunday) it was delicious. I'm looking forward to your report. Thank you!
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:06 AM

We did agree, emcash, even though you spelled it right and I spelled it wrong! Or remembered it wrong -- Sfuzzi, Sfoglia,

I also wrote "seafood terrine" when I meant "seafood tagine."

Maybe I should wait until later in the day to post!

Ship's Inn was top rated by Zagat in at least one category this month.

I'll be back on Fodors as I eat my way through the offerings.
Old Jun 4th, 2011, 08:23 AM
cw

There was a brief write up yesterday in the Boston Globe about Ventuno's:

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/restau...antucket_food/
Old Jun 5th, 2011, 08:00 AM

Hey Ackislander! Thanks for the great review of our new restaurant. Just for your information, we started restaurant week early at Pazzo, so since Friday 6/3 and through the end of restaurant week we are offering ANY appetizer, entree and dessert from the menu all for $45. A great way to try, taste and share with friends. 508-325-4500

-Thanks

Vinny
Old Jul 30th, 2011, 11:11 AM

Pazzo is one of the best new eateries on Nantucket this season! Try the shrimp appetizer, and the lamb entree or one of their tagines. Restaurants not new but very good include Dune, Fifty-Six Union, Centre Street Bistro, and Arno's on Main Street. Avoid Boarding House and The Pearl, both are overrated and very expensive.