Restaurants, Site Seeing and Activity recommendations for the Berkshires

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we found a bed and breakfast in Adams for 2 nights in late August. Its the Mt Greylock Inn if anyone has heard of it or been there. Now, I'm looking for recommendations on moderate priced resturants ($50-60 for two excluding wine and dessert); we like italian, steaks, american foods. Also want to do some biking and sightseeing...art museum, norman rockwell, maybe tanglewood and lastly, some shopping. Neither of us are into antiques per se or lots of knick knacks. Ideas?? thanks!
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 05:38 PM
yk

Hi cmeyer54, glad you found a place to stay! See this 2 recent threads for ideas:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...berkshires.cfm

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...activities.cfm
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM

On Route 7, I would recommend the Old Forge Restaurant. Great beer selection, excellent chicken wings, good dinners. Another good restaurant is Matt Reilly's Pub on Pontoosuc Lake as it has a deck out back. Its typical bar food but good sized portions and good prices. For Italian, Mazzeo's in Pittsfield is probably the best Italian restaurant there. There are a bunch of restaurants in Williamstown / Adams area too. I am more familiar with Pittsfield / Lanesboro, having lived there most of my life (I moved to CT 8 years ago but still go up quite a bit). North St in Pittsfield finally has a great selection of restaurants. Forget their names but some are getting great write ups. Use www.berkshires.org for a reference.

Late August is James Taylor at Tanglewood. check for tickets now as many are sold out. He is doing 5 nights this year, each night with a different guest (Sheryl Crow, John Williams, few others)

Definitely go to the summitt of Mt Greylock. It just reopened and is a great viewpoint. I was at the top on Memorial Day Weekend when 2 F18s flew below the summitt. Talk about breathtaking. There are other State Parks as well. Pittsfield State Forest offers a lot of biking and a scenic drive. There are also a lot of lakes around where you could rent a boat.

Mass MoCA is nearby as is the Clark Art Institue so that would be worthwhile. Definitely go to Stockbridge and walk around Main St. Go to the Rockwell Museum and Chesterwood.

Check to see what Jiminy Peak offers for summer activities./ Believe you can bike down their mountains. There is mini golf, skeet shooting, Alpine Slide.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

We are trying to extend the trip by one night an return on monday, 8/31...pending United being reasonable (ha...). we are both very frequent fliers with them but that doesn't seem to matter much to the phone agents!
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 03:25 AM

Which airport are you flying in / out of? Albany? Good luck.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 03:30 AM

Lenox and Great Barrington are the two towns most interesting for walking around and poking into shops. But I'm not sure what type of shopping you want to do? (Knick knacks is vague enough, I'm not sure if that excludes things like boutiques and craft stores). If outlet shopping is more what you had in mind, there are the Outlets stores in Lee, quite close to the Pike.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:17 AM
Original Poster

we're in and out of Boston/Logan. The first part of the trip is dropping our son off at college so we are fixed with the flights. We can do outlet shopping around chicago, so no, that is not our idea of shopping. I just don't want to spend a lot of time seeing identical merchandise in store after store (flashback to ABC stores in Hawaii!)