Reload this Page >

Restaurants in TORONTO

Search

Restaurants in TORONTO

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 11:33 AM
nuala

Restaurants in TORONTO

Please help: what are the top restaurants in Toronto. It doesn't have to be formal, just great food, room, people, or some combination thereof. We haven't been in years and will be there for a long weekend. Last time we went to Scaramouche, which was wonderful. Thanks so much.

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 01:24 PM
shayne

In Toronto, as in most cities, the good restaurants also tend to be the pricier restaurants. Try Boba on Avenue Road, or Centro or North 44 on Yonge Street. Also, Rosetta on Kingston Road is very good if you are out in the beach area, as is Spiaggia on Queen Street East (the latter is somewhat less formal and less expensive than the others). Scaramouche is still very good, and they also have a pasta bar if you want a slightly less expensive meal. The restaurant at the CN Tower (Hemispheres?) is also supposed to be good (I haven't been) and of course, there's that great view. Enjoy.

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 04:23 PM
Joan Graybill

My son just wined and dined at North 44 had a great time...I want to say i like Centro but not sure that was the name...either way get your pocket book out...even with the exchange rate I would say these places are rather pricy...what do I know I am Ms. Cheapo If you want wings go to Le Bistro...(I think) on Avenue Road at Laurence...yummy boy do I miss them and so do my hips!!

Old Jul 21st, 1998, 05:23 PM
Dennis

We have been to Toronto on about 8 trips. It is easily our favorite city. One restaurant we always go back to is Alice Fazzoli's. In our home it is legendary. The standard by which others are judged. We especially enjoy garlic and it is used in many of their recipes. The garlic buttered bread served is a meal all its own. With the exchange rate it is very reasonable. It is in a fun part of town. The atmosphere is also fun and exciting. The wait staff are always friendly and helpful in recommending dishes when you are unsure. I told the desk clerk at the Sheraton where we stayed that their restaurant was too snooty for us small town folks and he recommended this find. Reservations are recommended because they are very popular with the locals. Yum, it makes my mouth water just thinking of it. Time for a trip to Toronto.

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 06:27 AM
T. McQueen

I'd add Jamie Kennedy at the ROM (Royal Ontario Museum) at Bloor and Avenue Road. He's considered one of the best chefs in Canada; but his food is accessible---for example, his great Belgian french fries! If you're at the Dome or the Mirvish Theatre, just walk around the King Queen John street areas and check out the menus in dozens of good places. If you're downtown, Far Niente is good. By the way, Centro and North 44 have great food BUT they are a long way from the centre of town. Centro is very lively to the point of being too noisy for me. North 44--Ive had wonderful service and I've had world class snooty service(

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 06:46 AM
lynn

We really like Le Marche/Movenpick in BCE Place (King and Yonge). There's nothing else like it!

Old Jul 22nd, 1998, 11:07 AM
shayne

If you are looking for restaurants right downtown, you might also try Jump or Canoe or Sarkis. All are well rated.

Old Jul 28th, 1998, 06:14 PM
Helen

I have been to Toronto several times and highly re-
commend Alice Fazoolis on Richmond Street.

Old Jul 30th, 1998, 11:40 AM
M C MORLEY

I HAVEN'T BEEN TO TORONTO IN YEARS AND HOPE THESE PLACES ARE STILL AROUND- GREAT ITALIAN FOOD IN BEAUTIFUL RESTAURANT NAMED NOODLES OR TRY FAB CHINESE FOOD AT PINK PEARL (DON'T BE ALARMED THAT RESTAURANT IS ONLY ON 2ND FLOOR). HAVE FUN! TORONTO IS MY FAVORITE CITY, A NORTH AMERICAN PARIS.

Old Jul 31st, 1998, 01:16 PM
George Davis

Marche, mentioned earlier, was just a really fun place to eat. You get a card which you take to different stations. There they mark what you select -- stir fry, broiled chicken, pizza, sub sandwich, beer, wine, whatever. It's almost like a cafeteria, but with great food! At the end of the meal you "check out" by presenting your card to the check out station. (It's easy to lose track of how much you've spent because everything is so inviting.)

Also, if you like anything Oriental, give Chinatown a try. There are hundreds of places to eat -- give it a try even if you aren't going to eat. What a great place.

Old Aug 10th, 1998, 11:57 AM
Greg

Il Fornelo on King Street. Great Italian pasta & pizza.

Movenpick on York Street. My personal fav.

Ruth's Chrises Steak House on Queen Street. Great beef. Tad pricey.

Centro and North 44 of tres pricey! I've been to Centro and couldn't wait to get out.

Old Aug 14th, 1998, 01:36 PM
nuala

Many, many thanks to everyone who responded. Since you all took the time, I thought I should report back: North 44 and Jamie Kennedy were tops for food. North 44 also had a great, interesting room, warm service, and a FABULOUS (tho' pricey) wine list. We sat upstairs, which has live music, and is allegedly the more casual room--not true--equally dressy, cosmpolitan, and loud. Interesting, but heavy entrees--dark meats and sauces, which you don't see a lot of down here in DC during the (warmer than Toronto) summertime.

Jamie Kennedy's cuisine was indeed accessible and a lot of fun, especially the rare Canadian Ice Wine. We also had a great brunch over in the western part of Queen street, darn, I cannot remember the name of the restaurant--I'll have to write back.

We also dined at ORO, but with a large crowd. The beef I had was less than stellar, but the tuna and other entrees were lovely (tho' tuna in my experience lately is being served nearly raw, and this was quite thoroughly cooked, which, although great and well seasoned, was just a surprise.)

We had pizza at the unique panzarotti(Sp?) a childhood favorite of my husband's. Greasy but good!