Search

Restaurants in Taos

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:53 PM
adeewebstr

Restaurants in Taos

Can anyone recommend restaurants in Taos? Our 11-, 14-, and 16-year old boys will be with us, so we will probably have two "family" nights and one "grown-up" night, plus lunches and breakfast. We're planning on staying in town. thanks...

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orlando's is a small tex-mex restaurant north of Taos and serves delicious food. The last time we were in Taos, a local recommended it. Looks like a dive; but well worth the stop. The Appletree is also very good.
Old Apr 14th, 2004, 10:35 AM

I second the AppleTree, good steaks and good value for your money. Great bookstore across the street (with an official bookstore cat) and a nice little shopping area.

There is another restaurant that we enjoy that is on the main drag through town, called Michael's Kitchen (maybe Cafe). Great place for breakfast, casual, good food, inexpensive. Also, Eske's Brew Pub has good sandwiches and usually a pretty great line up of performers (you can do a search on the web for Taos Newspapers and there is generally a listing of who is coming to perform.)

One last thing, is if you are from a much lower altitude, alcohol may hit you a lot harder than normally at the higher altitude of Taos. I had half a glass of merlot with my dinner one time at the Apple Tree and was blotto!!!

Have fun!

Julie
Old Apr 15th, 2004, 10:15 AM
adeewebstr

Thanks for the recommendations - and the tip about wine and altitude! We're from Florida - can't get much lower in altitude than that!

Old Apr 15th, 2004, 12:55 PM

Help, help, help. I'm trying desperately to remember a wonderful place where we ate last summer -- just outside of Taos -- which I'd love to recommend to adeewebstr. It was recommended to us in town by the owner of a rambling antique store with architectural pieces scattered through its yard. The restaurant was part of an absolutely nondescript building with just two or three storefronts. One was a leather store. The restaurant had a patio in the back which was ringed by a fence made of old shutters and other fanciful things. The view was of the reservation and the mountains beyond. The food was wonderful. The atmosphere friendly. Even the 11-year-old loved it. BUT I CAN'T REMEMBER THE NAME!
Old May 28th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Hi adeewebstr,

The other suggestions are good. Apple Tree will be a good place for the family at lunchtime or for an adult dinner in the evening. Across from the Apple Tree is the Bent Street deli and it would also make for a nice family meal. There is a great sandwhich place around the Taos plaza, can't recall the name, but it is on the east side and would make for a quick family meal.

Other places for an adult dinner are either Joseph's table or the Trading Post.

Joseph's Table is quiet, great food, good service. 108A South Plaza, Taos, NM 87571 Tel: 505-751-4512 I'd suggest making reservations.

At the Trading Post you can either sit at the bar or have a table. The bar experience is terrific and you can watch the dishes being prepared. Great food, great service, not as quiet, but absolutely wonderful! 4179 South Pueblo Raod, Hwy 68, Ranchos de Taos, NM 87557 Tel: 505-758-9670 Again, I'd recommend reservations.

Both Joseph's Table and the Trading Post are frequented by "famous" people from time to time. (Julia Roberts, Gene Hackman and others.) These folks are usually moved to a private dining room, so you may see them coming and going. And, if you think someone looks famous, it might just be them. This could make for a fun story to tell later.

La Luna serves terrific brick oven pizza's and pasta. It is a very relaxed place, warm atmosphere, cozy. It would be great for the family. 223 Pueblo Sur, Taos, NM 87571
Tel: 505-758-0023

The bookstore mentioned above is "Moby Dickens". They do have a wonderful selection of books.

And, it's Michael's Kitchen (jarmnm wasn't sure of the name.) This is located on the main road through Taos, on the west side of the road with street parking in front. This place is very popular for breakfast.

This Taos dining directory will give you some more info on the places already mentioned. http://www.collectorsguide.com/ts/tsdid.html

- Sharon
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:04 AM
adeewebstr

Sharon - Thanks for your help on this and the pueblos. We leave in 2 1/2 weeks - I can hardly wait!

Old May 28th, 2004, 10:10 AM
annieladd

Another vote for Joseph's Table for the "grown-up" night. BTW, we really enjoyed the Millicent Rogers Museum.

Old May 28th, 2004, 11:44 AM

The restaurant at the historic Taos Inn was good, can't remember the name.
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:38 PM

If you are driving between Santa Fe and Taos your boys might like to visit the Bradbury Science Museum in Los Alamos: http://www.lanl.gov/museum/index.shtml

The museum is very hands-on and very high tech. I think the whole family would love it.

Then, there is a great place to eat on the way: Embudo Station. http://www.embudostation.com/embudo.htm
(Call first, it looks like it's for sale.) This is a lovely place to stop and have a peaceful lunch nestled among the cottonwoods and the Rio Grande. It's just about at the half-way point between Santa Fe and Taos, Roughly 45 minutes from either direction.

- Sharon
Old May 29th, 2004, 06:54 AM

The restaurant debenya is talking about is Antonio's and their food is spectacular, both their regular food and their specials. Nice outdoor seating with a great view of Taos Mountain.

For a true Taos experience try Outback Pizza (not related to Outback Steak). Great pizza and pasta and great people watching. Extremely casual. On Paseo Pueblo Norte and it is really hidden "outback."

Second the suggestion for good New Mexican food, Orlando's. A really nice family runs it and it is heavily frequented by locals. (Not what we'd consider Tex Mex but actually New Mexican.)

Michael's Kitchen is great for breakfast (for something local, try their blue corn pinon pancakes).

Restaurant at the Taos Inn is called Doc Martin's.
Old May 29th, 2004, 07:33 AM

Blue corn piñon pancakes. Yum! Also, for another authentic New Mexican flavor try some dish with Hatch chile.

All this talk of New Mexico cuisine really got me in the mood and I took a packet of some smoked Hatch green chiles from my freezer this morning and made eggs with green chile and cheese along with tortillas, hot sauce and some cantaloup.

Now I read Sherry1's suggestion for Michael's pancakes. Maybe that will be another special Memorial Day weekend breakfast.

I'll have to try Antonio's and Orlando's when I'm out there in August.

Antonio's - http://www.999dine.com/nm/antonios/home.html 1017 Paseo del Pueblo Norte
El Prado, NM phone 505-758-9889. This is actually north of Taos and if you had planned to see the Royal Gorge Bridge, the two places would pair up nicely. The birds pictured on this web site are the New Mexico state bird, the magpie. You'll see plenty of them around the Taos area.

Orlando's - 1.8 miles North of Taos Plaza Taos, NM 87571 Phone: 505-751-1450

Michael's Kitchen - http://michaelskitchen.com/ Located three blocks north of the Historic Taos Plaza. 304 C N Pueblo Rd.
Taos, New Mexico 87571

- Sharon
Old May 29th, 2004, 12:10 PM

Oops. Just realized it's not the Royal Gorge Bridge... it's the Rio Grande Gorge Bridge.

- Sharon
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 10:00 AM

I think a weekender to Taos is due for us...After reading this post, it made me hungry not only for the city it is, but for the treat adeewebstr has in front of her for all the variety of foods there. Our two boys (6 and 8) eat green chili like its going out of style and New Mexican is different than Tex Mex or california mex...if things seem too hot, eat some sopas with honey on them or get a side of sour cream or milk all of which will cut the heat/spicyness of the green/red chili. Have a great time in the Land of Enchantment!

Julie
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:07 PM

topping for Gayle