Restaurants in SF and LA

Search

Restaurants in SF and LA

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2003, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants in SF and LA

I have read the Fodors reviews. Any others for good value but not too expensive(our kids don't like seafood)?
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
LA is so huge, it would be a good idea if we knew what part of the city you'll be in. I live at the beach, but my favorite rib joint is 40 miles inland... Just as an example...
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 12:12 PM

Much, much too general - which is probably why you have not received too many replies.

These are huge areas - can you narrow things down a bit? In LA, e.g., are you talking about Santa Monica or San Gabriel or Laguna Niguel or San Fernando? Or are you talking about downtown LA?

What kind of food do you like? Are you steak and potatoes people? Or do you want a juicy Astro burger? Mexican? Incan? Fancy continental? Are you into marble slab ice cream?

Are you going to Disneyland? Universal studios? Venice beach?

Give us some parameters, some guidelines, and you'll probably get a lot more answers.

Happy eating!
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

IN LA, we probably will be in Hollywood area one day(for a teens), and the beach another day(maybe Santa Monica).

SF we are taking the trip to Alcatraz so the Wharf area.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 08:59 PM

in sfo, get the classic sourdough bread bowl soup.

LA has a lot of fresh-but-fast mexican food...baja fresh or chipotle.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 08:54 AM

Hollywood area: You can head on Melrose into West Hollywood/LA border area and eat at the original Johnny Rocket's. Behind it is a pretty good Italian restaurant called Louise's Trattoria (there are a few in the area). I don't get to Hollywood much, but the Hollywood/Highland entertainment complex has quite a few eateries in it, so you should have a lot of choices there.

In Santa Monica, the field is wide open. Do they like Mexican? Head to El Cholo on Wilshire-- some of the best Mexican grub you'll find in the city. Crocodile Café is at the corner of Ocean and Santa Monica, and it's a good choice-- reliable Cal/Southwest joint. There are restaurants and fast-food joints up and down the Third Street Promenade, some better than others. Broadway Deli, across from Santa Monica Place, is a good place that should satisfy even the pickiest eaters. I urge you to avoid Buca di Beppo on Second Street-- huge servings of absolutely appallingly bad southern Italian food. The worst restaurant in California IMO (they say other branches of this chain are OK).
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:06 AM

In Hollywood - Musso and Frank's is an institution.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:15 AM
mdv

In Hollywood and the general area: there's Off Vine , lovely restaurant, American/Californian cuisine, all the restaurants at the H/H complex (Shabu Shabu, Vert, are just two), the Hollywood Diner--looks very nice-near the Pantages, Pig 'n Whistle , so-so if you ask me, but many like it. On Third and Fairfax there's the Farmers' Market with everything from pizza to Mexican ( try Loteria-excellent) to Indonesian ( Banana Leaf-very, very good)...something for everyone.The Grove adjacent to the Market also has many restaurants: Maggiano's, The Farm, etc. You won't be at a loss for choice.
Old Aug 11th, 2003, 09:39 AM

Well we had dinner at Postrio in SF, but dinner here for a family would probably cost more than your entire trip budget. But it was great. In and Out burger is great for lunch. My husband loves this place and we don't have any of these on the East Coast. Baja Fresh in SF is also great for "better" fast food.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 12:51 PM

Hi, thndrstm!

thanks for narrowing things down for us!

If you want to be near Fisherman's Wharf, try Pier 39 and there are tons of restaurants there.

Also within walking distance of the Wharf is Ghirardelli Square and the Cannery. If your kids like ice cream, try the Chocolate Factory at Ghirardelli Square and shoot the moon with the "Earthquake" - 8 scoops of ice cream in your choice of flavors, plus whipped cream, cherries, etc. Get four spoons and dig in!

Another fun place for kids is the Rainforest Cafe - boys especially like the fake boa constrictors dangling from the fake trees. You can have a dessert here called the "volcano".

Earthquake or volcano - you can easily avoid seafood at the Wharf! Have a great time!
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:37 PM

If you want Mexican in LA, DO NOT go to Baja Fresh or Chipotle!

As mdv suggested, go to Loteria in the Farmer's Market at 3rd and Fairfax.

For other suggestions, you should really check out chowhound.com. The LA and SF boards there are *very* active and they are very kind to visitors.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:49 PM

Now DebbieJ, Baja Fresh is just fine if you're looking for a fast-food experience. I prefer Rubio's (or Super Mex in Belmont Shore), but in a pinch, if I want a quick Mexican meal, gimme that Baja Fresh!

And I'll see your Lotería and raise you two El Cholos (one on Western in LA, the other on Wilshire in Santa Monica)! Seriously, Lotería is a great place. Do you like Las Brisas down in Laguna? I LOVE that place myself.
Old Aug 12th, 2003, 03:52 PM

I second the El Cholo suggestion. The Santa Monica location is a branch of the original which has been around I believe since the 1930's. Very popular, good food and service, reasonable prices.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 09:20 AM

There are so many great restaurants in L.A. I'm going to try to recommend a few that will be OK for kids and not too pricy.

C&O Trattoria in Marina del Rey- Decent Italian, right next to the beach. Adorable patio. At night, the waiters sing "That's Amore" several times a night & the diners join in. Cute.

El Cholo- If you're going to have Mexican in L.A., this is probably the place to go. Suprisingly, L.A. lacks *really good* Mexican restaurants.

Breakfast spots-- there are several I'd recommend. King's Road Cafe on 3rd Street. Flora Kitchen (at Rita Flora on La Brea), Newsroom (on Fairfax). If you're in Santa Monica, Broadway Deli on Third has a lot of options that aren't too pricy.

A L.A. *classic* that you must try-- Pink's hot dog stand on La Brea. It's been around more than 60 years now and has long lines at all times of day and night. It's worth it! The kids will love the wide selection of hot dogs.

Another Southern California classic, In & Out Burger. Locals swear it's the best burger ever. There are several locations.

In the Hollywood area, I second the recommendation of Off Vine for a more upscale dining experience. Also in the area, Musso & Frank, one of the oldest restaurants in town. Famous for it's red meat and martinis.
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:17 AM

We have In and Out Burgers here too in Northern California

Another good chain is Island Burgers, which we don't have as yet

What about the old Astro burgers - big, juicy, fresh tomatoes and lettuce - haven't had one of those in years! Are they still in existence?
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 11:22 AM

SAN FRANCICO
The Slanted Door!!!
The first place that we head from the airport.....after 5 hours in a plane the food is even BETTER!!

100 Brannan St. 415-861-8032
Old Aug 19th, 2003, 01:56 PM

Whoops-- didn't mean to leave out Northern California when recommending In & Out. They're all over the state and they're great!
Old Aug 20th, 2003, 12:01 PM

I live in West Hollywood, and there are tons of good places. Following is a list:

El Coyote (on Beverly at La Brea) - Classic, greasy Mexican--great margaritas

El Compadre (on Sunset at Gardner) - better mexican with a live mariachi band

Mel's Diner (on Highland at Hollywood) - classic L.A. institution (the original is further west on Sunset) - good burgers and great for late-night dining

Canter's Deli (on Fairfax a little north of Beverly) - classic L.A. deli - open 24 hours -- right across from CBS studios