Restaurants in Orlando??

Old May 26th, 2001, 05:47 AM
Sheri

Restaurants in Orlando??

My husband and I are going to be in Orlando for a week in June and would like to have some 1st hand information on good places to eat. We live on the Panhandle of Florida and have plenty of excellent seafood restaurants here, so we are not interested in those. We like pretty much everything and have no problem going to "tourist traps" if the food is good.

Thank you in advance!!

Old May 26th, 2001, 09:36 AM
Larry

My wife and I were in Orlando last week. We stayed just outside the Disney resort area, but did not do a lot of the Disney stuff. Best restaurant we ate at was at Comtemporary Hotel in the California Grill. Good Service, Great View (especially if you're there about 9pm for fireworks, and good food and wine. We also ate at a french restaurant in france pavillon. Overpriced and limited menu. Ate at non tourist area restaurant called Roy's. I was familiar with Roy Yamaguchi(?) and his restuarant, but was underwhelmed by this strip center restaurant. O.k., but a little disappointing.

Old May 26th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Beth

I'll second the California Grill at the Comtemporary, and agree to staying away from the French restaurant at Epcot. At Epcot we like the Sea restaurant and Morocco. Also, outside the park but on Disney property is Spoodles tapas on the Boardwalk. The Grand Cypress Hyatt has several nice restaurants, but you might be interested in their Steak House Saloon. A fun night of dinner theatre can be found at the Grosvenor Hotel. Sat nights is MurderWatch Mystery Theatre, a musical comedy mystery show. And Wed nights is Treasure Chest Quest game show, where you can play for real cash prizes. Hope you enjoy your vacation!

Old May 26th, 2001, 10:19 PM
Sal

We don't go over their often without the kids, so we usually eat theme park food or fast food. Otherwise, we really like the Key West style restaurant at the Hyatt Grand Cypress. sorry--can't remember it's name. Cafe Tutu Tango on International is fun--everything is served in appetizer-sized portions. It's designed to look like a French artist loft. Church Street Station has several good restaurants and it's a fun place to spend an evening.

Old May 27th, 2001, 12:14 AM
Joy in Virginia

www.orlandosentinel.com is the online edition of the local paper and has good restaurant reviews.

Old May 27th, 2001, 05:12 AM
OliveOyl

Sal, The restaurant you were trying to think of at Hyatt Grand Cypress is Hemingways. We've enjoyed eating there too, but their best restaurant, and this was a fantastic "dining experience" >), was La Coquina. We were so impressed, with both food and presentation. It is every bit as good as Armanis! Give it a try on another visit and see if you agree.

I love that resort. Have shot an entire roll of film of their landscaping, hoping to take the pics back here and light a fire under our landscaping company. Would love to be able to use theirs but dh has looked into the cost and its double ours--and ours is considerable!

Old May 27th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Judy

Hi Sheri, we loved Wolfgang Pucks restaurant and Portobello Yacht Club restaurant...in the downtown Disney area. Excellent food and service IMO.
Judy

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:15 PM
Beth

Wow - I can't believe other people love the Grand Cypress as much as I do. Went there with my husband 15 years ago, and returned last year with my kids, and it still met every expectation. LOVE Hemmingways! I have never stayed at the Grand Floridian - Can anyone compare the two?

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:25 PM
PAt

http://www.europaisch-sport.com

Old May 27th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Pat

lets try this again. We have been going to Disney since it first opened in 1971. California Grill is our #1 choice, followed by Emerils at City Walk, any good Disney hotel like Grand Floridian, or Boardwalk restaurant, Wolfgang Puck, and there are several very good French restaurants in Orlando. Chathams Place has the best rack of lamb. Don't ignore Winter Park that has excellent atmosphere and restaurants. Ran Getsu on Int' Drive has good sushi. Have fun.

Old May 29th, 2001, 02:29 AM
Fwhiteside

Try 'Key W Kool's' ( Silly name I know )
on US192 Kissimmee. Great steaks !

Old May 29th, 2001, 07:44 AM
kim

Sheri,

Where are you planning on staying for your visit to Orlando? Most of the restaraunts that have been suggested are in the Disney area. Some others to think about are Bahama Breeze (great atmoshpere and island food) with 3 locations, Cafe Tu Tu Tango (as previously mentioned) on I-Drive. Harvey's Bistro (Downtown Orlando) for upscale contemporary food, Manuel's on the 27th (same building and owners as Harvey's) for very pricey w/view, PRs for hole-in-the-wall Mexican (2 locations, Winter Park and near Universal Studios).

What else? Thai? French? Tell us what area you are looking for and what types of food and I am sure we can come up with more!

Old May 29th, 2001, 09:12 AM
Dick

We found a great place for Italian cusine on 192 west of maingate about 3 miles or so. On south side right across the street from Pizza Hut. At the time of our last vist this place was kinda on the edge of the strip development working out from I-4. Food was excellent! Will dine there on next visit to Orlando area. If you like send me an email and I will get the name from my wife or our travel notes once I get home.
Dick