Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Oahu and Kauai

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 08:27 AM
Mike

We have been to Kauai twice before, most recently, last year.

We are going to be in Kauai for 6 nights and on Oahu for 3 nights. We are looking for great dining experiences. Any recommendations for dinner? We will be on the north shore of Kauai for 4 nights and the south shore for two.

We have eaten at The Beach House, but have heard some, not so good reviews lately about service. We also ate at Roy's and did not have the same great experience as we had the first time there. Service poor and food was cold.

Would love to hear from anyone with recent experiences here and other recommendations.

Please don't forget Oahu, never been there before.

Thanks,

Mike

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 10:10 AM
xxx

On Oahu, Kincaid's at Ward Warehouse, Legend's Seafood at the Chinese Cultural Plaza, both always teaming with local patronage. Alan Wong's for food similar to Roy’s , Michel's with an amazing view and good food is also a nice experience . I have heard a lot on this last trip about 3660 on the rise in Kaimuki (sacred cooking spot, in Hawaiian), also Chef Marvo apparently up for the James Beard Award according to our concierge at the Hilton in Waikiki. Go to alohachefs.com for more ideas and see photos of cuisine. Oahu is definitely the place to eat of all the islands.

Kauai North shore; Friday night seafood buffet at the Sheraton P'ville. Breakfast: Wake up cafe Hanalei if you are staying nearby. If in P'ville recommend Hanalei Bay Resort main restaurant. Evening entrees also look to be inviting but I would not compare to Roy's. Too bad about your most recent experience, I think all of his restaurants have new chiefs so I can imagine that the quality can vary. We have a Roy's in NY, great opening year now it is still good just not as good. Never cold food though, I hope you spoke up about that. I got a visit from Roy Yamaguchi’s Partner who later brought the head chief to my table after I gave an observation on the cold dinner roles. I was nice he just asked me what I thought about the meal and so I told him.

Sorry to say the food experience on Kauai’s North Shore is a bit dim. I think it is Paradise Cafe in a dinky little strip mall on Kapaa side that has garnered the most recognition from food critics. So funny you would never guess this by the restaurants location. Kapaa as you know is a 30 minute car ride from North Shore.

Zelo’s beach house in Hanalei is nice but more of a grill than not top notch gourmet. Our guidebook has it down as a top choice in the area but I would not agree. I would keep to the P’ville Sheraton restaurants if you are looking for 5 star dining each night nock your socks off view if you have remember. Good Luck.

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 11:42 AM
Helena

Visiting Hawaii for first time in mid Ocotober. Flying into Honolulu and would like to stay on tht Island. We would like beaches, swimming, and relaxation. Any recommendations for where we should stay?

Old Sep 1st, 2001, 11:55 AM
Katheine

Helena you want to go back and select the post new message option. This is still Mike's message. You will get a better response if you start your own message.

First trip to the Island I strongly encourage you to choose a neighboring island especially if you seek out rest and relaxation. Some people on this board who are connected with the tour industry will lead you otherwise. Oahu the gathering place is more for events than seclusion. Yes there are nice drives in the country but most people's expectations of the islands is on the North Shore of Kauai, not a good time October (rain), Maui or the Big Island. You will also find the condo's are much more reasonable in price on neighbor islands. Wander through the website www.vacationspot.com for a look at this. I will give you more recommendations on your next post if you do not want to switch destination from Oahu.

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:12 PM
t

top for Mike

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 05:33 PM
Mary

Sorry to hear that service at the Beach House has been less than stellar. What a beautiful spot, one of our favorites on the south shore. We have had some wonderful meals at Piatti at Kiahuna Plantation. (I u/stand that they may have changed their name back to "Plantation Gardens.") Sitting on the beautiful veranda overlooking the torchlit gardens and smelling wonderful aromas from the woodburning ovens is an experience I could repeat again and again. They use fresh local ingredients and have moved away from their mainland menu, emphasizing local fish and meat. I think that this restaurant is often overlooked. Personally, have been underwhelmed by Roy's. Wonderful food and professional service but have felt rushed; there is a real sense of "move 'em in and push 'em out."
We also enjoy Cafe Hanalei at the Princeville Hotel- a view from the terrace that surpasses all views.

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:07 PM
Tammy

xxx, Could you be mistaking Paradise Cafe for Pacific Cafe in Kapaa?

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:10 PM
xxx

entirely Tammy have you been?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 03:30 AM
Tammy

I have not, but have read about it in Zagat's. Have you been there or just heard about it?

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 08:19 AM
Terry

We were just in Kauai and would recommend Sushi Blues in Hanalei. Excellent Pacific Rim cuisine.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:55 AM
michele

Oahu recommendations:
Michel's -very old world elegant place
reservations advised
Indigo-Euro-Asian, very hip, downtown

Chai's Island Bistro-one of the few places with outdoor dining (go figure)-classic food with a Thai twist (I had Asian Osso Bucco). In the Aloha Tower mall. Great orchids. Music some nights

Cafe Miro-tiny French cafe with a prix-fixe menu. Popular with the locals and Japanese visitors (chef is from Japan and trained in Paris). Cozy spot

Cafe Monserrat- near Diamond Head-"world cuisine" I had a kobocha squash soup with masala spices and a citrus raita followed by grilled swordfish with aioli. Very pretty pastel colored dining room.

Padovani's-upscale French, more formal ( I think you can eat in the bar, though, if you want casual). Wonderful cheese course

Happy dining,
Michele

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 12:22 PM
someone

ANY TIME YOU WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR ALL OF OUR HELP MIKE. DON"T BE SHY WE WON"T BITE.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 07:53 PM
Eric

Mike- I just ate at the Beach House on Saturday night. Our meal was very good and the service was excellent. Sasha, our waiter, was very professional and made recommendations that were great. We arrived fifteen minutes before our reservation to watch the sunset, it is beautiful there, and were seated before the time we had been quoted on the phone. The bar tab was transferred to our dinner tanot all dinner houses provided this service) The restaurant was VERY busy, but had a significant amount of staffing. Our bus person was also very efficient in bringing bread, water and replacing iced tea with fresh glasses(this was only the second time this was done on our trip, the first was at the Formal Dining room at the Lodge at Keole) and keeping our table cleared(my own pet peeve). I made a point to tell the manager about our good service(something I rarely do) and received a phone call the next day at the Hyatt following up to make sure my experience was good(again I have never had this happen at a resort). Maybe it was the waiter and bus person that we had, but we were satisfied with our service and meal, so maybe give it another try. I also thought the prices were reasonable for Hawaii.
our dinner.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 12:31 PM
karen

Hi, Mike -

We have always enjoyed dining at the Bali Hai Restaurant at the Hanalei Bay Resort. The service tends to be somewhat slow, however, we never mind because of the wonderful food and breathtaking views. Go early for a drink at the adjacent Happy Talk Lounge before dinner. There are not a host of "great" dining experiences on the North Shore, but some really very good restaurants can be found. Pacific Cafe in Kapaa is absolutely wonderful. Too bad it is in a strip shopping mall, but the food is well worth the trip. We have never been enamored with Roy's but many love it. We have found the dining experience to be much too rushed, tables much too close and also the location in the shopping village does nothing to enhance our meal. We have crossed this one off our annual visit. We have found the meals and sunsets at The Beach House to be worth the price of admission, however, the service is uneven. The food is usually quite good, but so much depends on your servers. There is another place on the South Shore in the Poipu area, which we have come to enjoy quite a bit - Casa di Amici. They have some wonderful seafood entrees with a decided Pacific Rim influence. There are some interesting pastas as well. The Hyatt has some exceptional restaurants albeit a bit pricey but the norm for most hotels. The setting is quite nice at Tidepools. "Outstanding" or "great" dining experiences are dificult to define and are so personal, but these are my recommendations. Have fun and enjoy!

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 05:32 PM
kal

Aloha ya'll,

Karen,
116 mo' days until I'm slurpin' up saimin at Hamura's on Kress St, sippin' a brew at Whaler's and having a great "Kiahuna Joe's Omlette" (with jalapenos!)" .

Mike...Also Kintaro's, Mema's, Hong Kong Cafe.

We love pupus and brew at Pac Cafe.

2 new ones on the island last Dec/Jan, Coconuts and Lemon Grass.
Mahalo y'all (practicing for New Orleans next week),
Kal

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 08:24 PM
Melissa

My family was chowing down on Eight Treasures & Chinaman's Hat (Chinese Burrito) at Maple Garden on Isenberg Street last night. The subject of Kauai came up and everyone said you gotta eat at Hamura's.

Old Sep 5th, 2001, 09:21 PM
mike

Thanks to everyone,

You have all been so helpful. What a great site. We are counting down the days until we leave. One month from today.

Best wishes to you all, hope each of you get back to the islands soon.

p.s. To SOMEONE above, what is up with your FREAKIN ATTITIDUDE. I don't seem to recognize you as having helped anyone on this site. I think most of us on this site are grateful for the wonderful feedback. I don't think we need to recognize each and every individual that offers there advice. We take the time and offer our opinions under our own free will. I don't think the typical guests to this site are as sensitive as you obviously are.

Why don't you go flap your lips on some other site where your words are appreciated. They aren't here-A_ _ hole!
Aloha!

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 03:35 AM
Tammy

Mike, Kal mentioned Kintaro. That's the sushi place Paul and Shelli like.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 05:39 AM
karen

Hi, Kal -

Not to intrude on Mike's post, but how are you? We're at 166 days and not quite counting yet. We, too, love to go to the Whaler's for a few brews and to enjoy the great view that it affords. Where exactly are you from, Kal? Just curious.

Yes, Mike, no one on this site expects individual thanks for advice/information offered. All responses are given to help others make their choices more informed. Don't let a post disturb you; it's truly not worth the energy to even respond.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 09:20 AM
Rick

Ate at the Beach House twice a week ago. It was marvelous food, (ahi and then had scallops) and service very good(I think her name was melia).
We always love eating at Braenecke's. Laid back atmosphere and they do the fresh food on the grill the way I like it.
Enjoyed Duke's also. Must admist, my experience at Tidepools in the Hyatt was average. Maybe next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -