restaurants in Boston

Sep 3rd, 1999, 09:17 AM
susan

restaurants in Boston

I'll be spending a long weekend in boston in october..would like some recommendations for restaurants not to be missed..nothing too fancy or expensive, just good food with a cool/laid back atmosphere..i'll be staying at club quarters in the financial district so anywhere within walking distance would be nice..have eaten at Durgen park, pizzeria regina, some place on Newbury street and had some killer appetizers at Elephant&Castle on my trip last fall..so any new suggestions would be appreciated!! (need a really good North End choice..) thanks!

Sep 3rd, 1999, 11:20 AM
Larry Gutter

Suggest Il Cappriccio on Hanover St. in No.End. Always excellent food (over many years) and great cannolis DOWNSTAIRS in street-level "cafe"..Restaurant is upstairs! Enjoy!

Sep 3rd, 1999, 01:19 PM
Boss Ton

There are so many!!!

Giacomo's on Hanover St in North End is a home run--but also very popular; the lines on a weekend may be nasty, but there are some other really good places nearby:

"All'oro" (kind of fusion-y)
"Calamari Caffe" (tiny, your entree is served in the skillet it was cooked in)
"Artu" (just off Hanover st, excellent meat and fresh vegetable dishes)
"Il Vilaggio" great seafood

I could go on and on! Althought the North End dining scene can get busy on the weekends, the restaurants are so close together that you can stroll around, look at the posted menus, and select a place where the food looks (and smells) good!

Sep 7th, 1999, 05:11 AM
Boss Ton

Just a clarification regarding my post above: I was just in the North End this weekend. When I strolled by Il Villagio I peeked at their menu and noticed that they are not primarily a seafood place--however when I did eat there a while back I ordered the nightly special that was a seafood dish and it was very good.

Sep 21st, 1999, 01:27 PM
EDIE

ARTU'S IN THE NORTH END, HAS REALLY GOOD FOOD, REASONABLE PRICES, LOCALS GO THERE. AND I AGREE WITH GIACOMO'S AS WELL. ALSO, POMODORO AND CAFE BACCI, BOTH OF WHICH ARE RIGHT ON HANOVER. AVOID AT ALL COSTS LA FAMIGLIA.