Kauai - Marriott Resort & Beach Club

Sep 5th, 1999, 06:34 PM
Ann B.

Kauai - Marriott Resort & Beach Club

Just received a great deal from American Express for this resort (really cheap). I have heard negative things about this hotel. Has anyone stayed there lately? I would greatly appreciate an update.

Sep 6th, 1999, 05:21 AM
Bart

Aloha Ann, if you got a really great deal grab it and enjoy. We have visited Kauai 3 times and stayed at Marriott once- the last time, Previously stayed at Hyatt and Aston north of Lihue.
The Marriott is a beautiful hotel and fantastic pool. IMHO, the Hyatt is the nicest resort on Kauai.
As you may have noted, most people stay on either the north shore - Princeville or the south shore - Poipu. The good thing is you are 1/2 way between both so siteseeing is easier. There is nothing wrong with the hotel- it's just not an ideal location.
In Hawaii all the beaches are open to the public so you can use the facilities at any hotel on the island.
Hope this helps.

Bart

Sep 17th, 1999, 09:43 PM
Charlie

I got the same offer, I believe. I also had an identical offer from the hotel itself 2 years ago and took them up on it. I am seriously considering going again (can't beat the price). The hotel was VERY nice and the public areas were great. The beach is not up to par with the rest of the resort but as someone has pointed out, you can have any beach in Hawaii. This hotel was completely re-done a few years ago when it was taken over by Marriott. Many of the negative comments you've heard may have been about the hotel when it was under other management (Westin?) and had an out-of-place European look. That's gone. My wife and I really enjoyed our stay. The hotel is perfectly placed for day-trips.
When you enter you go down an escalator. I still remember the gasps and from people when they saw the garden area on the lobby level.

Sep 18th, 1999, 06:08 PM
lee

Ann, this is exactly what I'm looking for. My daughter wants to get married at the chapel at Kauai Lagoons and I would need to reserve about 5 rooms, (pretty costly). Do you think I would be able to get the same deal from American Express if I called and asked about it. Can you be more specific about the details, is there a apecific time frame?

Sep 20th, 1999, 01:34 PM
John

What exactly is the deal? I'm interested!

Sep 21st, 1999, 02:13 PM
Janis Bender

Ann, My husband and I stayed at the Kauai Marriott Resort & Beach Club the first week of June (also as part of a special offer)and it was great. We had a wonderful time. The pool is terrific and contrary to what one of the other posters thought of the beach not being up to par with the rest of the resort, I thought it was just beautiful. Have never seen a beach like it. It's located in a cove and not only is there nice white sand, but there is a lawn area along the beach with lovely green, soft grass under the palm trees. It's all set up with lawn chairs and there seemed to be plenty for everyone. Just sitting there taking in the beauty and feeling the soft breezes of the tradewinds was something to always remember.

All the resort staff were friendly and helpful as well. We were not disappointed. It was a wonderful week and we will return to this resort.

Janis