Restaurants in around Fanueil Hall, Boston

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hubby and I will be taking a two night weekend getaway in Boston without the bambino (WOOHOO!)next month. We prefer to not drive and are looking for recommendations for restaurants for dinner. We're staying at the Millennium, right across from Fanueil Hall. We'd love a really nice and totally YUMMY Italian place in the North End, easily reachable by taxi, I would think. And maybe a seafood place for the other evening.

Also, pubby, casual places for lunch? Maybe soups, burgers and salads? I'm thinking we'll find plenty of that in Fanueil Hall, but if you have any specific recommendations, I'd love to hear them.

We were thinking of trying the Union Oyster House, but the reviews I've read have been less than impressive.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:23 AM

The North End restaurants are all within walking distance of the Millenium - no need for a taxi. We like Terramia on Salem St. Mama Maria is another favorite. For seafood in the North End there is the Daily Catch on Hanover St.

For pubs inn the Fanieul Hall area (actually Government Center) I like Kinsale (an Irish restaurant and pub). In the Financial District I like Mr. Dooley's Tavern on Broad St. All walkable from the Millenium. Also popular is the Black Rose ut really there are so many that it is best just to walk around until you find one that appeals.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 10:24 AM

For seafood, my family loves McCormick and Schmicks, Legal, Jasper Whites Summer Shack and the Barking Crab.

For burgers, our favorite is Clery's on Dartmouth St (not far from Copley Place) Not in Faneuil Hall, but I hate to see you spend most of your time there - explore the city a little - you can walk to Clery's (or some other lunch spot) passing the Common, Public Garden, snake your way down Charles St, then down Comm Ave over to Newbury/Boylston and down Dartmouth st and even wander thru Copley Place if you like shopping or down into the South End areas around Dartmouth, Clarendon, Union Park, (maybe go to the Buttery for some delicious cupcakes

If it's a clear day/night you might want to see if the Skywalk at the Pru is open - great view of city and beyond.

Walking in Boston is easy, to me it's a small city and easy to navigate and lots of things to pass by on the way to your destination.

In the North End, we like Rabia's, Sage, Prezzo, Picollo Nido - you can walk there and enjoy the NOrth End a bit before and after dinner - enjoy the waterfront a bit on your way, the Old North Church, etc and get some coffee and pastry after dinner somewhere else, and then walk back to your hotel or take a cab if you want,but it's an easy walk.

Make rezzies ahead of time, on opentable.com for many of these if you want andyou can see their web pages and menus there or on menupages.com for boston.

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 11:28 AM

It's been a while since I was in Boston, but if it still exists, Durgin Park is a "unique" experience. Maybe for lunch, as it's not fancy.
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips everyone. We live in Southern NH and have been to Boston quite a bit in our younger, pre-kid days. And did I mention that it will be January, and I'm a cold weather woose(OK, how does one spell that?)? LOL So I'm not really sure how much long distance walking we'll be doing, unless the weather is unseasonably warm. And the way this winter in New England is going so far, that is entirely possible! We're really just getting away to have some alone time together.

I've been to the Black Rose, but will definitely check out the other places mentioned. I've read reviews on Mama Maria and people either love it or HATE it. How reliable do you find Trip Advisor's reviews?

LOVE the Pru idea, hadn't thought of doing that. I'll suggest it to DH.

I've also seen mixed reviews on the Millennium since I booked our room. I'm hoping that it's nice. And even if it's not top-notch, as long as it's clean, quiet and comfy, how much time will we actually spend in the room? Depends on the weather, I suppose.

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 07:22 PM
sistahlou

For seafood, Neptune Oyster in NEnd. KingfishHall would be another good choice, as the place has more room to fit in the bambino.

For Italian, Giaccamo's sister restaurant in the South End, since you're a woose and will be taking a cab anyway. Quieter, calmer, very friendly hood joint, and the same excellent affordable fare as the NE. Chicken Parm, Frutti de Mare, Fra Diavlo, Scampi, Piccatta......all well priced and well executed. Why not venture out a bit. Great fun!
Good times indeed~
Life is good!

Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:33 PM

Please don't let the weather keep you inside !
Bring your warm boots & accessories and walking keeps you warm ----
Personally, I think Durgin Park is nothing like it was decades ago - and I don't feel the food is as good and last time I went, which was about 5 years ago - I don't know, it isn't the same to me as it used to be - and if you want to spend time alone, you might prefer to enjoy a meal elsewhere -

I don't know what to say about Trip Advisor, sometimes their reviews have been right on for what I was searching for and other times not at all - we stayed at a hotel that got slammed in TA, and it was the most delightful, cleanest, old historic hotel in the country we were in w/ impeccable service....it all depends on personal take, just like here -

some will love Durgin Park, others will not - Some like me will say Clerys has the best burger in town, others will love them better elsewhere....

Mama Mia was fun - I enjoyed it but I enjoy all theater/shows/musicals -

Also, you should google calendar of events for Boston - a zillion pp will come up but you can try Boston.com, cityofboston.gov

Also, the new Institute of Contemporary Art will be open on the waterfront - if that interests you
Old Dec 7th, 2006, 08:35 PM

i shouldn't post when i'm half asleep -
you men mama maria the restaurnt -
i think there are better choices in the north end
but some people love it there -
Old Dec 8th, 2006, 07:42 AM

I thought Durgin Park was disappointing when I was there. We had a very good meal and lots of fun at The Barking Crab. (chowder and lobsters) We loved Hamersley's Bistro as well.
Have a good time!