Restaurants for my parents trip to NYC

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants for my parents trip to NYC

Hi!! my parents will be visiting new york (again) in a couple of weeks, they´ll stay for a week and will stay at the Towers of the NYPalace. They have been there many times, so this time I want them to try new places apart from the ones they love and which they will probably revisit

Dinner: one or two of the following:
Aquagrill (I'm looking foward to eating there myself!)
Gramercy Tavern (I was there last time and liked it)
Eleven Madison Park (I'm not sure the type of menu will fit in my parents taste as it's almost a surprise menu)

Casual Lunch: depending on the area they are each day:
Peter Luger
JGMelon
Union Square Cafe
Minotta tavern
Fred's at Barneys

Pre-post theatre:
Marseille

Two other things: my father has been recommended to go to "The Palm 1" is it good? for dinner or for lunch?

Another: what good musical/show is there for a couple in their 70's??

What do you think? Any other restaurant suggestion?

Thank you all for your help
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:23 AM
Original Poster

shows: Once? the best man?...
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Original Poster

Anything goes?
Old May 9th, 2012, 05:33 AM

Well, if you don't already have reservations at Gramercy Tavern or Eleven Madison Park, it's very unlikely you'll be eating at either place. At least they could pop into the Tavern room at Gramercy Tavern (doesn't require or accept reservations). There are fewer options for EMP, but lunch is probably possible if booked this week.

I love Marseille, but it is in no way in the same league as the other restaurants, but it's reliably good and seems to really excel as the weather gets warmer. And it's especially good pre- or post-theater. I eat there often

Lunch at Minetta Tavern might be possible, but they may have to go through the concierge at the hotel. If they are already in contact with the concierge, I'd recommend going that route to set up all their reservations immediately (today if possible). That will give them the most chances to eat at their choice. The city is really packed with tourists right now, and I'm surprised at how difficult it is to get a table somewhere.

If they don't want to go all the way to Luger for a casual steak lunch, they could do Le Relais de Venise L'Entrecote, which is very close to their hotel.

I'd skip the Palm. It's good, but it's not in the same league as Peter Luger. They don't need to go to both, and the steak at the latter is better. An alternative would be Wolfgang's, which is very much like Luger without the drive to Brooklyn and the requirement to pay cash, though it also lacks the atmosphere.
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:04 AM

"War Horse" at Lincoln Center (considered Broadway) is not ligt and fluffy but an amazing theater experience. They should definitely go. I havent seen all the shows you mention, but theyre all considered very good.

For restaurants, Peter Lugers is over in Brooklyn, not really in a location that they might otherwise visit but it is considered a destination restaurant.

Minetta Tavern is terrific but they'll likely need a reservation. The prix fixe lunch during the week at
Asiate in the Mandarin Oriental hotel at Columbus Circle is very good with great views. Across from it, Robert restaurant inside the Museum of Art & Design has awesome views but the food isnt in the same league but good for a casual lunch and the museum is also terrific. The Boat House in Central Park is also a nice spot for lunch but should be booked in advance. BG restaurant inside Bergdorf Goodman
Has great people watching and is a very pretty space. Not cheap but no more expensive than Fred's at Barneys. Fishtail is a nice seafood place near Bloomingdales with a pleasant lunch menu. Sit upstairs in the red room. I havent been to the Palm in years. While it is a NYC institution, I think there are now better places for steak including Minetta Tavern and ofcourse Peter Luger's. Not sure why it was recommended for lunch. BLT Steak and BLT Prime are well regarded. capital Grille in the Time Life building has a good value pre theater menu. http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/Loca...heatreMenu.asp

If they like mussels, Jubilee is a cute French bistro east of their hotel with terrific mussels in lots of different sauces. Very popular so should be booked but a more casual place than the others you list.
Old May 9th, 2012, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!!! Of course I'll ask the concierge to make all the reservations for them, I always do it that way and it works better than trying it on my own.
Nobody mentions aquagrill...is it worth it?
I think my dad's friend recommended The Palm for the lobster, not steak, is it possible?
They've never visited brooklyn and have heard there are nice area/shops there, know where that is? They want to do that before Peter luger
Warhorse, is that like the film? Is it a play or a musical?
Doug in the theatre day, they just want a normal pre-post dinner, thats why I thought of marseille, capital grill sounds good to!!
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:36 AM

Carlota: I'll offer further recommendations if you wish, but for now:

THE PALM. While best known for steak, their large lobsters have also long been a signature menu option. Most people have them broiled, but the kitchen will prepare them any way you wish..steamed, for example. Regulars also praise the Italian dishes, particularly the veal, as in veal Parmigiana, or other traditional preparations.

NO MAD. While 11 Madison Park is difficult to get into, and the menu may present challenges for some less adventurous diners, Chef Daniel Humm has just opened a new restaurant and the word of mouth has been excellent; their chicken dish for 2 was called "the best chicken of my life" by a friend . Since 11 Madison is famous for their poultry, it sounds plausible. Wide menu, with prices much more reasonable than 11 Madison. Not reviewed yet, so tables are difficult, but not verging on the impossible, to book. I will give you my opinion about it next week, if you like.

http://www.thenomadhotel.com/#/dining

I would not recommend The Boathouse, unless your parents favor setting over quality of food.
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:48 AM

love! love! love! aqua grill and prefer it over any other restaurant on your list
Old May 9th, 2012, 07:52 AM

Two more:

For a casual and not expensive lunch, I would recommend ABC KITCHEN. This is the "market-to-table" venue under the helm of Jean Georges Vongerichten. The restaurant is very pretty and while the lunch menu lacks some of the highlights on the dinner menu, there are some very good options. I'd give it a high recommendation for dinner, too, as long as they understand that it is fairly casual and service can be less than polished.

Another recommendation for lunch is also under the Jean Georges umbrella, and run by his son: PERRY STREET in the far west West Village, overlooking the Hudson river. Architecturally exciting, high chance of celebrity spotting, attentive service and above all, good, Asian-inflected food at a fair price.

http://www.abckitchennyc.com/

http://nymag.com/listings/restaurant/perry-street/

I did not give my opinion of THE PALM, above. While there are other newer steak houses, the old fashioned NYC vibe might be a good bet for your parents and the steak is certainly excellent. I prefer Peter Luger among the long-running steakhouses but if that is too inconvenient or if they cannot get a table at a reasonable hour, The Palm might suit. If pressed, I'd say that eating there might be akin to eating at Posada de la Villa, or maybe even Botin, or similar long-running traditional favorites.

I'll be returning to Madrid later this year and look forward to conferring with you about restaurants! I'll start a thread here soon, so check back if you have time!
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:03 AM

I prefer Gotham Bar and Grill over Gramercy and Union Square

Tocquewville is very nice.

Strip house for steaks

Nougatine for one of the best lunch values in the city
Old May 9th, 2012, 11:05 AM

I agree with Aduchamp in liking Gotham Bar and Grill over Gramercy and Union Square. and I was super underwhelmed by ABC Kitchen. That's two bad jean-Georges restaurant experiences, I'm going to try to avoid his restaurants so as to not encounter a third.
Old May 9th, 2012, 01:16 PM

Where was the second bad Jean Georges experience?
Old May 9th, 2012, 02:16 PM

Vong in Chicago years ago. Though in his favor, I did have an excellent meal at his flagship restaurant in NYC Jean-Georges.
Old May 9th, 2012, 04:39 PM

I'm also not a big Jean Georges fan but I did like lunch at Perry St very much and my recent lunch at ABC kitchen was very good. My problem with both is I didn't like the options on the prix fixe menus so ordered a la carte which is not cheap.

The Palm is famous for BIG lobsters (3+ lbs.)which you can share. I don't understand why the friend would say for lunch rather than dinner. If you like big lobsters, its good for either meal. I'd have to take a nap after lunch there.

Its very true the setting at the Boat House is better than the food, but every meal doesnt have to be a gastronomic masterpiece.

The food at Aquagrill is very good.
Old May 10th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Original Poster

thanks! ekscrunchy! I'll be glad to give you tips of Madrid Restaurants!! please tell me when you start a thread so I can give you feedback
mclaurie, they just recomended The Palm (no specification on wether dinner or lunch, as I dont know the place, that's why I wondered for which meal it was better
If they go to the Palm to have Lobster, does it make sense to go also to Aquagrill or they have nothing to do?

At the moment the schedule would be like this:
Dinner:
The Palm
Gotham Bar ¿all agree it's better choice than Gramercy Tavern?
Aquagrill

Lunch, I'll give them many options depending on where they are, the only one sure is Peter Luger
Peter Luger
Union Square Cafe
BG
Asiate
Boat House

Pre Theatre
Marseille
Capital Grille time life building

Showsne of the following please help me number them in order of preference: couple 70´s my mother is not so fluent in english, recent shows they have enjoyed: Mamma Mia, Alvin Alley ballet, they love classic music and always go to a concert,

Warhorse
Once
Anything goes
Best Man
Evita

Finally I want them to visit places they havent seen, it has occurred to me:
The High Line: is it worth a visit?
Broklyn: any ideas on areas/shops?
any other new or unusual to visit?
THANKS!!!
Old May 10th, 2012, 03:36 AM

Additional choices for pre-theater might include:

OCEANA
DB BISTRO MODERNE
MOLYVOS

A possible pre-theater restaurant that I've heard good things about from friends, and which is apparently popular with those who work at Conde Nast, is LA SILHOUETTE, run by a former Le Grenouille chef, with owners from other top NYC restaurants. It is on West 53rd Street @ 9th Avenue.

McLaurie: All of the recommendations I offer are those that I think have top quality food, since those are the restaurants I would eat at myself. I look for a good price/value ratio because I do not like paying good money for mediocre food. Unlike you, I DO seek a gastronomic experience (extravaganza might be pushing it; if only...) I'm just as likely to eat Sichuan food in a dive in Flushing (Queens Chinatown, for those not from NY) as I am to eat at MoMad. But I will do my best to make sure that it will be one of the best Sichuan dives in Flushing. When I do spend money to go out, I want great food, in it's category. I suspect that we differ tremendously on this point. I've often noticed restaurants that you've recommended and many of them would just not be my style. To each his own.

From previous threads about NY and Madrid, I know that Carlota's standards are high and I assume from her list here that her parents are equally discriminating.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:39 AM

the high line is wonderful if they like walking. I did it in winter.
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM

I would say Gramercy Tavern is better than Gotham. Gotham is not a bad option for lunch. I don't know why you dropped Minetta Tavern, but I wouldn't unless you don't think they could get in. The Palm and Aquagrill are in different neighborhoods and different kinds of restaurants.

Anything Goes is a feel good musical but I don't know if not being fluent will affect their enjoyment. Same with War Horse. I wonder if it's possible to access the explanation of the stories somewhere. didhelikeit.com is a website that shows what various critics thought of each show. Evita didn't get great reviews. Once was a movie. Maybe there's a copr with subtitles so they could see the story.

Have you checked lincolncenter.com to see what concerts will be on while they're here?
The Highline is well worth seeing and doesnt take that much time to visit.

While Brooklyn is enjoying a big renaissance for dining, shopping and nightlife/music, I'm not sure it would be appealing for your parents. Williamsburg is the hip area. There is a big weekend flea market with lots of good food. if they enjoy flea markets, thats an idea. brooklynflea.com
Old May 10th, 2012, 05:47 AM

This is interesting http://thisisgonnabegood.blogspot.co...liamsburg.html
Old May 10th, 2012, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Yes! I forgot to put it on the list!!
One other question: a good restaurant for dinner walking distance from the nypalace?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -