Search

Restaurants around Times Square area?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurants around Times Square area?

Hi,
My friends and I will be in NYC for a weekend in July and we are staying at the Courtyard Manhattan Times Square South. We have 2 nights, and I was hoping for some restaurant recommendations in the Times Square area. We are in our mid-twenties, and like Italian, steak, seafood, appetizers, pub food, Mexican. One of us is a vegetarian. Thanks!
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 05:00 PM

For Italain in the area, try Carmine's or Becco.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 05:11 PM

We like Zen Palate, a lovely Asian vegetarian place.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 11:51 PM

For Italian: Carmine's. Also, John's Pizza has a branch in Time Square.
For steak: Smith and Wollensky isn't too far (in the 40s on 2nd Ave., I believe), and non-beef eaters can get huge lobsters there.
Also, the Carnegie and Stage delis are in the theater district. You can't go wrong with these restaurants, but don't necessarily limit yourself to Times Square. For example, go to Lombardi's in Little Italy for pizza (it's the country's first pizza place) and Ferraro's a few blocks away for dessert.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 12:07 AM

Also, the best Chinese food might be Shun Lee's, which I believe is in the 60s; I'm not 100 percent sure.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 04:50 AM

Carmine's is a big family style rest. that attracts lots of families with kids. It's my idea of restaurant hell but with your large group, it might be just fine. Make sure to share because portions are huge. Some other Italian choices (I agree with Becco which has a $21.95 all you can eat pasta dinner and John's pizzeria is good too). Trecolori is very good and affordable.

There are lots of choices for steak. I'd suggest Cite or it's next door more casual Cite Grill. Not the very best steaks but the best all around scene for your group I think. Very active bar scene. After 8 (when the theater starts) there's a prix fixe dinner deal at Cite.

For seafood, Foley's Fish House in the Renaissance hotel not only has good food but a great view which would be fun. The Sea Grill at Rockefeller Center is very good, expensive and very grown up but they may have some discount coupons on their website (restaurantassociates.com).

For appetizers, Ruby Foos is a combo oriental (Japanese/Chinese) and has things like pu pu platters etc. It's big, attractive and would be fun for your group.

For pub food I like Joe Allen's on restaurant row (46 between 8th & 9th) but it gets packed before and after theater. (For your size group I'd suggest reservations wherever you go). Others like Angus McIndoe.

Heartland Brewery (called an anywhere USA microbrewery by the Zagat guide)has 2 locations in the area, the closest on w 43.

Finally, for Mexican, Hell's kitchen is the best in the area I think, but small & popular. If you want a scene one night, try Dos Caminos (2 locations not in your neighborhood.(brguestrestaurants.com)

Churrascaria Plataforma is a Brazilian skewer place that would be good with a big group although your vegetarian would have to do with the salad bar.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:10 AM

In the Times Square area I like Virgils BBQ ... very casual. Sparks Steakhouse is a good choice. (Avoid Gallagers.) Also, I really like the Red Eye Grill on 7th and (?)52nd (or near there). Great atmosphere and great food. It doesn't usually get mentioned much, but I had a great Italian dinner at a small restaurant on 46th .. Revista.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:18 AM

I also recommend you eat in neighborhoods other than Times Sq. Times Sq is a big tourist destination and the food isn't necessary the best variety/quality/value. Not that there aren't good palces in the area, but if you venture out of that area, there's much, much more. My favorite restaurant neighborhood is the E. Village, also good is Lower east side, upper west side, area around union sq, greenwich village to name a few.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:19 AM

Since your in your twenties (not rich?), I would strongly suggest walking two blocks west from your hotel to the avalanche of great inexpensive restaurants on 9th ave between 45th & 55th. The food is as good or better than the tourist restaurants in Times Square and much less expensive. There are SO many great options there.
Old Jun 15th, 2004, 05:20 AM

Hey there,

As a Times Square area resident (actually Hell's Kitchen -- the area west of Times Square) I'd second the vote for Hell's Kitchen -- it is Nuevo Mexican -- like no other and has suprisingly great appetizers and drinks -- there is often a wait on weekends -- but well worth it (9th ave and 46th)

Also -- 9th avenue from 42-57th Streets is a bit of an international restaurant row -- its a fun strip to explore even for a quick lunch.

Plataforma is the best Churascurria in NYC and worth it for the meat eaters -- the salad bar is extensive, but the vegetarian might be put off by the huge slabs of meet which move through the dining room on skewers -- if you go you must have a cipirinha -- a Brazilian cocktail made with fresh limes and sugar cane spirit.

For pub food -- we love Angus McIndoe -- and the fact that there is generally a Braodway celeb to see is an added bonus if you're into that.

Ruby Foos is fun -- as is Noche, a Cuban place that turns into a nightclub after dinner -- the soaring space is incredible and the food is good.

Have fun!