Notices

Restaurant with view in New York

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 03:59 AM
molly52

Restaurant with view in New York

We will be in New York (first time)at the end of September and would like to have a meal in one of the high rise restaurants with a view of the city. Can you recommend one which is not TOO expensive? I've read that "The View" is a bit of a rip off. Any ideas???

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 04:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is TOO expensive? And does it have to be in a high rise building? The River Cafe in Brooklyn is well loved for its views and its food. You can find its menus at www.rivercafe.com and can read more about it with a search here, or at menupages.com
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 05:01 AM
Suerich68

"The View" also has a dessert buffet option that's not too expensive. Take a look at their menu on the website.

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:12 AM

The best NYC view is from across the rive in NJ.

Try Arthur's Landing, or Liberty Grille both high scale, great food and with right on the Hudson.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 06:36 AM
GoTravel

Foley's Fish House in The Renaissance Hotel in Times Square has excellent views of Times Square. Outstanding and the food is quite good.

Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:15 AM

The best combination of view and food is the River Cafe in Brooklyn but it is expensive.
rivercafe.com

Slightly less money is the Water's Edge in Queens (and they have a free ferry service from east 34 st.)
watersedgenyc.com

I also agree Arthur's Landing in NJ is good as is Foley's in Time Square.

Asiate is the rest. in the Mandarin Oriental hotel (35 floor of the Time Warner building) if you like Asian Fusion.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 10:04 AM

If you want to see "The View" go just for a drink or dessert. (The problem isn't the prices - which aren't that high - but that the food isn't very good.)

I would do River Cafe if you can afford it - to me the best views of all. If not - you have received some other good suggestions.
Old Aug 23rd, 2006, 08:30 PM

Agree that for view and food the River Cafe is the way to go.

But I also think that Arthur's Landing is a good choice, and you can take a ferry to the restaurant from mid-town, so it is really convenient. Go to www.arthurslanding.com. They have a sister restaurant called Spirito Grill which also has views, but I haven't been there and can't comment. I think it is more casual than Arthur's Landing. Take a look at www.nywaterway.com or call 1-800-53-FERRY for ferry details.

In Manhattan itself, I actually think that the Boathouse in Central Park has great views, with that wondeful juxtaposition of the lake, trees and tall buildings behind; however this is better during the day (or early evening with the longish days in September):

The Boathouse
Park Drive North and E. 72nd St.
Central Park
New York, NY 10021
212-517-2233
http://www.thecentralparkboathouse.c...tions/home.htm

Old Aug 24th, 2006, 08:11 AM

I second the person who mentioned Foley's. Good place for a drink: Marriott Marquis bar - you are billboard level. Also W Hotel.
Old Aug 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
molly52

Thanks for all that! I've been to your suggested websites and I'm drooling already. Looks like you gotta pay that bit extra for the location and view so I suppose that's fair enough. Molly.

Old Aug 25th, 2006, 03:28 PM

I second the Boathouse and the River Cafe. But remember... in addition to the very high tab at the River Cafe there will be a hefty cab fare to get back and forth.
Old Aug 25th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Great view, great food and more affordable. If the River Cafe is just too much you can have a great time here. It's not as close to the water but still has the view and you can walk right up the cobblestone street to the pier.

http://petesdowntown.citysearch.com/...Home_Page.html