Restaurant suggestions: Bar Harbor, Boothbay Harbor and Ogunquit

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2004, 06:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Going to be in Maine from May 14-24. Can anyone suggest dinner restaurants in Bar Harbor, Boothbay Harbor and Ogunquit? We're not looking to spend an arm and a leg, but we like nice places with imaginative menus. We prefer to avoid the usual tourist traps.

Thanks for any help.

Peabody
Old May 5th, 2004, 07:02 AM

We're going to Bar Harbor in June for a long weekend. barharbormaine.com is the Chamber of Commerce website. Click on the "dining" tab and there are lots of interesting restaurants, depending upon your personal taste.

Of course, a personal recommendation from someone would give you something to consider. I'm going for the lobster!!!

If you stumble upon something really great in Bar Harbor, please let me know.
Old May 8th, 2004, 05:59 AM

ttt
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:40 AM

Hi there!
Nice place and imaginative menu usually ups the price tag, so it's hard to say. For Ogunquit, I'd try Provence as a first choice, and as a far second, Five-0. Hurricane is very popular and has a fantastic view, but I find it a bit touristy and overpriced.
Hope you enjoy!
Old May 8th, 2004, 08:30 AM

You might not have many choices in Boothbay since you're going before the season starts. My parents have a place there so we go every summer. Not sure if these places are open, but we love Ocean Point Inn for a good dinner -- can't beat the view. Good lunch or dinner spots would be Fisherman's, Lobsterman's and McSeagull's. The Tug Boat is supposed to be good, but I havent' been there in years. I've heard good things about Spruce Point Inn too, but have never been there. Hope you have fun.
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:20 PM

Late May is great time to visit Maine, you'll beat the bugs and the tourists. We like Anthony's Harborside in Boothbay, the Rocktide and the Thistle Inn used to be pretty good too. Robinson's Wharf for lobster-at-the-picnic-tables.

Don't miss The Boothbay Ice Cream Factory.

In Bar Harbor, try Georges, 124 Cottage Street or Maggie's Scales, check the prices first though - the first two might be pricey. Island Chowder House is good too. Jordan Pond House is the classic tourist spot for soup and popovers.

Ogunquit is full of imaginative dining, just ask around depending on what you're in the mood for.
Old May 9th, 2004, 06:37 PM
gyppielou

Ogunquit - Provence for dinner, Mike's clam shack for fried, or the shack in Perkins Cove for chili dogs, and Maine Diner in Wells for seafood chowder.

Old May 9th, 2004, 06:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I'm sorry, but I don't think the food of Provence is very good, The best restaurant, IMO, in Ogunquit and one of the best in all of New England is ARROWS, but not inexpensive, reservations, and go early to walk around the organic garden where they grow the food and herbs, Dinner only, and for lunch the, Hurricaine is good (reservations for the Sunday jazz brunch.)