Reload this Page >

restaurant suggestions

Search

restaurant suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2001, 10:08 PM
L

restaurant suggestions

I need a few restaurant suggestions for Dallas next weekend. Friday night and Saturday night. I'm staying near SMU but can probably get around. It's a business dinner with 2 other women. My company's paying. Already tried Green Room (didn't like the food but glad I tried it) and the restaurant at the Melrose on my last trip.

Prefer something original, not a typical chain.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 06:40 AM
Chris

I've never been to Dallas....just clicked on this cause I love restaurants.....However....I would not have clicked had your heading been "Dallas Restaurants" instead of "restaurant suggestions"

You will not get many responses to this thread.....I suggest reposting with an appropriate title.

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:18 AM
Sandy

Los Vacayeros, 6615 Snider Plaza (at SMU), ph 214-361-9885 is a great Tex-Mex place. Wonderful food and not expensive.

If you're looking for something more upscale, III Forks, 17776 Dallas Parkway, is a fantastic steakhouse.

You can get any type of cuisine in Dallas but Tex-Mex and steaks are kinda the trademark fares.

Have a great visit,
Sandy

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 08:36 AM
Arabella

If you like seafood, Cafe Pacific is in nearby Highland Park Village. You can enjoy dinner, then stroll around this landmark Dallas open-air shopping center.

SMU isn't too far from the Mansion on Turtle Creek, probably the best restaurant in town.

Have fun!

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 10:50 AM
dallasite

You'd better make sure "the company" "will" pay before you hop off to the Mansion . . . we're talking big bucks here. Lots of companies will pay for pricey business dinners but draw the line at The Mansion.

We're talking around $200/person . . .

Old Oct 3rd, 2001, 07:31 PM
lena

Any way to edit a message? I realized after I posted it that the title was too vague. I didn't want to post it twice. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I was considering Mansions but not at those prices...Dallas seems to have extremes. The hotels were either under $100 and then jump to over $350. III Forks sounds good. I'd like a little cowboy ambiance. I don't like seafood but Highland Park is very pretty, I'll see if they have a website with a menu and see if they have chicken or pasta.

Old Oct 4th, 2001, 06:18 AM
bighair

Don't expect to find cowboys at III Forks, it's a very upscale steakhouse where you'll find the "beautiful" people of Dallas. You'll need reservations and dinner (with wine) will run around $100/person. This is not a chain. The owner used to own Del Frisco's.

III Forks is named after the III Forks territory in Dallas (an outpost where 3 main roads came together).

If you want something more cowboyish, try the Texas Land and Cattle Company, there are several all over Dallas.

Hope you give us a report when you return and let us know where you ate and how you liked it.

Old Oct 6th, 2001, 07:36 PM
lena

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will take these ideas with me. I've already mentioned them to some of the folks I'll be taking to dinner to see what they think. Do you know if Cafe Pacific has non-seafood dishes. (I don't like seafood but will eat something else if the atmosphere is nice). What about the other restaurants in Highland Park? III Forks sounds good. For BBQ I ate at Live and Die in Texas (?) last time, it was good. Are Cattle Co. and Dallas Land similar to it? Yikes you just brought up a good point. I don't want to be paying for wine or drinks at dinner....hmmm how to tactfully say I'll pay for dinner but not the bar? I usually do lunch or have a larger group and get a fixed price menu which doesn't include alcohol. Hopefully if I order iced tea, they'll take my lead.

What about Mansions or Crescent for lunch, the prices on their website seem reasonable.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:22 AM
Arabella

You could get afternoon tea at the Mansion, which more affordable than lunch or dinner. Call and see if they still offer it.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:43 PM
lena

thanks for everyone's help but I cancelled my trip this afternoon. I just couldn't go out of town this week. I will be re-scheduling the trip and will keep these suggestions.