Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

is he warning us again? do we still travel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 05:14 AM
lena

I know we can't hide out, we have to continue to function and keep the economy going but is it foolish to fly this week? supposedly he has warned us right before every terrorist attack, he warned us yesterday on TV. I feel like I should take the risk but my family and friends think I'm being extremely careless if I still fly this week. What a horrible feeling and I'm so removed from the real tragedy. Is anyone else feeling reluctant to travel right now?

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:44 AM
Michael

My honest opinion?
I couldn't care less what he says.
I'm living my life.
When it's my time to go upstairs I'm going no matter what I'm doing. In the meantime, I have no intention of letting any of this interfere with my life and plans.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Ingrid

For what it's worth: The warnings usually came several months before an attack!

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:51 AM
Danny

If you feel reluctant to travel because you're depressed about the current state of affairs, that's one thing ,and understandable. Most people have suffered from some of this.
If you're not travelling becuase of the odds of being 'attacked', I think that's silly.
How many flights are there each day? How many people are there in this country? What are your actual odds of being affected somehow, even if there iS an attack? Probably less than your odds of being seriously injured in a car accident today on your local highway.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:57 AM
Beth

I flew a week and a half ago for business, yesterday for leisure (visiting out of town family over weekend) and will be traveling again by plane on business in 2 weeks. Bin Laden hasn't stopped me in the least. HOWEVER, I would not travle international right now. This is not because I'm scared my plane will get hijacked but more the fear that something will happen and flights back to Us will be limited and delayed greatly. I can't afford to get stuck right now somewhere where it is impossible to get hoem quickly. My husband is federal law enfocement so he knows a lot more than you or I as the general public know. He has never questioned the safety of my flying in the next couple of weeks so I feel quite safe.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:07 AM
lena

My supervisor contacted me and suggested I cancel. If I was alone I would go but having young children I don't think I should take unnecessary risks. Last week I was going still traveling but right now I think this week is too uncertain. I'm not afraid of the travel but of being away from my kids if something should happen and I can't get back. I know the odds of a problem with the plane is unlikely but of something happening in America this week?

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:55 AM
ohoh

Prepare to live like this for the next year or so. How you react is up to you.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 08:17 AM
Parrot Mom

Yes, I am depressed about what could happen and I do have a leisure trip planned the end of the month.. Truthfully, I think Ill feel safer outside the country than in. Will I book another leisure trip for my winter getaway..sure..but the prices better be right.. I;m more worried right now about a hurricane hitting the Yucatan while I'm there...

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 06:00 PM
lena

It's a mom thing. I can't leave my family this week - I made reservations for a trip in November. It's just going somewhere in a few days doesn't seem wise and I didn't want to cancel all my meetings at the last minute.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:44 PM
Jane

Just live your life to the fullest! I see no need to cancel any travel plans at this point.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 07:55 PM
Hillary

I am traveling to Asia this week, and to Europe next month. I will continue to travel unless they shut down the airports. I am not going to live in fear. You need to go on with your life.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 10:03 PM
american

Don't let them win by being scared. Think of it this way: in the incredibly remote possibility that you might somehow end up where they strike next, it may fall upon *you* to be the hero.

Bio-terrorism is another issue, though. Sorry, I don't have any ideas there...other than it's much harder to accomplish without getting infected than people think. Better to not worry about what you cannot control. And watch a little less FOX TV

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:09 PM
Sherry

I feel safer now than ever before. I too am going to continue living my life. These terrorists are not going to scare me one bit. And if they are on any of my flights, I will be the first one to attempt to take them down. We will no longer tolerate this type of criminal abuse on our land and people.

Old Oct 8th, 2001, 11:38 PM
Bill

I agree that the warning has been spoken, but sat over here in England we think that we are more likely to be the next target, to refocus the world and show the potential mayhem.
Retaliation is iminent and we are all aprehensive about travel, personaly I have 4 flights this week around Europe on business and have mixed feelings.

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 04:11 AM
curious

I was adament about not flying - until my husband surprised me with a trip to Bermuda for my birthday last week! I was VERY nervous, until we woke up last Thursday to leave, when I was incredibly calm. We had a great flight - half hour from drop off to the gate, had beautiful weather and all told a fantastic time. The island was a little quieter than usual but not dead. Full restaurants and hotels. We arrived home just last night. I'm very glad we went and now realize that my fears were unfounded. It's like falling off a horse, once you get back on you'll be fine!