Restaurant reservations in Napa/Sonoma?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 07:59 AM
Meredith

Restaurant reservations in Napa/Sonoma?

I've heard you need to reserve in advance for the French Laundry, but what about other restaurants? Should I make reservations before I go, or can I make them the day of once I get there. Also, do you need to make reservations to visit the vineyards, and/or to do a tour?

Old Jun 26th, 2002, 09:13 AM
Allie

Meredith,

Make the reservations. It is extremely difficult to to do a walk in for dinner at the more well known, popular restaurants unless you're eating really late. Practically impossible if it's the weekend. Lunch is not as tough, but you may still be required to wait.

Some of the tours require reservations, especially for the smaller, boutique type wineries. I would recommend, just to be safe, to reserve everything. The winery tours in high demand are typically booked one to two weeks in advance for weekends. If you need to change your plans, call and cancel in advance so they can still fill the spot.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 01:15 PM
J. Shelly

Reserve early. The French Laundry must be reserved exactly two months before the date of dining. They do not accept reservations more than two months in advance and if you call any later than two month early you will not get a table. Other places are not quite as bad, but if you call before vacation you will eat where you wish and not be disappointed.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 02:15 PM
linda

when are you going? We could book a day in advance for our tours, and even got in Dry Creek Kitchen the same day in April. During harvest will be another matter1

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 05:43 PM
kam

Agree with Allie---always book ahead. You can cancel without penalty. The French Laundry is impossible and requires you to give them a credit card in advance ( something that I can't stand) So, although we live in the Bay area, we almost never go to the French Laundry. The others, you should book about 2 weeks ahead.