Restaurant on the Big Island for our 50th

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24th, 2023, 09:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be in Hawaii right after Christmas celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with our 2 kids' and their families. We want to go out to dinner on our anniversary somewhere nice, keeping in mind there will be 5 adults and 3 10 year olds-so it can't be really fancy. We are staying at the Waikoloa Beach Villas, which I believe are close to the Hilton Waikoloa. Any recommendations for a restaurant in the area would be greatly appreciated!
Old Sep 25th, 2023, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by crennaker
We'll be in Hawaii right after Christmas celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary with our 2 kids' and their families. We want to go out to dinner on our anniversary somewhere nice, keeping in mind there will be 5 adults and 3 10 year olds-so it can't be really fancy. We are staying at the Waikoloa Beach Villas, which I believe are close to the Hilton Waikoloa. Any recommendations for a restaurant in the area would be greatly appreciated!
that’s easy. Right in that area is a wonderful restaurant called Roy’s. When we were there which was sometime ago we ate there twice. It was so good.

check them out!

https://www.royyamaguchi.com/roys-waikoloa-big-island
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 10:59 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Roy's is actually a chain. We thought it was ok, but overpriced. This was several years ago.

You will be relatively close to the Mauna Lani hotel and The Fairmont Orchid hotel. They both have very nice restaurants, on the water. It's not unusual for kids to be dining with parents. Your ten-year-olds should be fine at either one.

https://www.aubergeresorts.com/maunalani/dining/
https://www.fairmont.com/orchid-hawaii/

Last edited by MoBro; Sep 27th, 2023 at 11:02 AM.
Old Sep 27th, 2023, 06:32 PM

Roy’s has 21 restaurants world wide. That’s not many.

I think being part of a “chain” should not diminish their quality. Their reviews are very good.

We loved the Roy’s in Chicago though it closed during the pandemic along with many others including some Michelin starred establishments.

As for price Hawaii is very expensive in general. Roy’s is not an outlier. Looking at the menus Roy’s is actually quite reasonable if not less compared to the other two.

JM2C

Last edited by jacketwatch; Sep 27th, 2023 at 07:03 PM.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 09:04 AM

Agree that Roy's is probably the best option for a special dinner and not as expensive as most of the other nearby sit down options. They also have a few prixe fix options.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 12:27 PM

Have eaten in Roy's several times in differnt places and always have a nice meal and evening. The Hilton itself, lucky enough to stay there twice for husband's business trips, has several nice restaurants. It's been a while and so I am not sure which ones still in existence or might have changed but there was a high-end French restaurant as well as a continental restaurant with incredible sunset views at the very top of the resort that was quite outstanding.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 01:56 PM

If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I'd choose Merriman's In Waimea. Since you are already on the west side it won't be the hour we drive to it from Kona. Food is wonderful, service delightful. Peter Merriman has a restaurant on every island, but it's scarcely a chain. Reservations a must.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by bjordan49
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, I'd choose Merriman's In Waimea. Since you are already on the west side it won't be the hour we drive to it from Kona. Food is wonderful, service delightful. Peter Merriman has a restaurant on every island, but it's scarcely a chain. Reservations a must.
I love Merriman’s and was also going to suggest it. We go every trip but usually for lunch.
Old Sep 28th, 2023, 03:05 PM

Napua at Mauna Lani is another one to consider. I love the location at Makaiwa Bay, but, again, we have mostly done this for lunch in between snorkeling at the Bay.
Old Oct 21st, 2023, 04:33 PM

The Four Seasons Resort at Hulahai has the Ulu Ocean Grill, which would be fantastic for your celebration! Most of their food is sourced from Hawaii, you can be seated on the sand or inside and it is a very special experience without being too much for the kids- casual attire is ok.