Reload this Page >

Restaurant New Orleans "Nola"

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 03:11 PM
Carol Sue

Would appreciate any information on a restaurant named "Nola" Address: 534 St.Louis St. Neighborhood: French Quarter; New Orleans...Thumbs up or down and why? Thank you [email protected]

Old Feb 16th, 1998, 06:41 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Though I've not been there myself, on the basis of the report in ACCESS NEW ORLEANS, I wouldn't hesitate to go. It's the second effort by TV Chef Emeril Lagasse and it's in a somewhat better area than his Emeril's. ACCESS gives it three stars and notes that it's fairly expensive--medium high-class. but not as high as the original Emeril's. Bon appetit! Joan

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 07:04 AM
Tom

While I would rate NOLA as the superior of Lagasse's restaurants in New Orleans, I think alot of the attention on these retaurants is do to his cooking show rather than the food. I have eaten at NOLA three times and I wouldn't include it among my top ten restaurants in town. Mind you, the food is good (if a bit overspiced, a trade mark of Lagasse), the surroundings are hip/trendy and the service decent. And I have many friends who think it is a wonderful place. But at $100 +/couple, the allure of a trendy spot doesn't match with the food and service of Bayona, Galatoire's, Brigsten's, Gautreaux's and others.

Old Feb 17th, 1998, 04:38 PM
Dan

Amen to Tom's comments - haven't been to Brigsten's but have been to the others and especially love Gautreaux's, in the Garden District just a short taxi ride from the Quarter. Emeril's and Nola are very good but depend a lot on reputation of Emeril Lagasse and tourist trade.

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 06:36 AM
Michael

I agree with Dan and Tom. If your heart is set on NOLA's go by all means. I had an incredible dinner there. However the places that Tom and Dan mentioned are just as good and might give you a little more of that incredible New Orleans feel.

Old Feb 27th, 1998, 12:14 PM
becca

I have not been to Nola, but have been to Emeril's and it was wonderful! The atmosphere and food was excellent and would highly recommend dining there!

Old Mar 1st, 1998, 10:47 AM
Shari

We were at NOLA's 2 yrs ago and loved it. Yes, trendy contemp decor. Some delicious menu items from the "woodfire oven" We chose to sit at a bar overlooking the kitchen and could watch them . Fun. Planked fish and other woodfire stuff was excellent. Pricey? yes, but not too bad. We're light eaters and the menu suited us. One of the chefs kept bringing us little tastes of things. We will continue to go back!

Old Mar 3rd, 1998, 12:13 PM
lisa woessner

I have been to all of the mentioned restaurants, but rate NOLA as #1 in the best meal of my life category. of course, i must of hit a GOOD night there, but something was right!

Old Mar 7th, 1998, 05:44 AM
sue

I agree with Tom and Ken. Nola's was wonderful. Very trendy, great people watching and wonderful food, jowever, I wouldn't rate it as one of the best meals in my life. I enjoyed Emeril's better than Nola's, but we ate at the chefs table (you can too, just book weeks in advance). That was fun. I agree that the other restaurants mentioned were probably better than Nola's, but it certainly very good. We enjoyed Commander's Palace for brunch.

Old Mar 15th, 1998, 09:06 AM
Stephanie

I enjoyed my meal at Nola's and would give it the thumbs up. However, like most of the "posters", I would recommend other restaurants like : Emerils, Bayona's and Gautreau's. Criolla's was featured in Dining Around and that looked great. Fo a special meal (and pricey) The Grill Room at the Windsor Court Hotel is very good (food and service).

Old Mar 17th, 1998, 04:11 PM
Mary

Ate at NOLA's in October. My husband and I both loved it--I loved the cedarplanked fish! Also, the service was superior. I would not recommend Commander's Palace, overpriced for what you get for brunch. We expected a full jazz band and there were 3 people who played for 10 minutes.