trip to usa from ireland

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 07:20 AM
dave higginson

trip to usa from ireland

my wife and myself are taking a business trip to u s on 16 april .i run a small business,so money is on a tight budget.we would like to combine the trip into one of business and pleasure. we arrive from ireland at newark airport.( good place to stay please).we then travel to philladelphia,then onto greenville south carolina,where we finish up on the tuesday. we then have until the sunday to get back to newark.would like suggestions on things to do, places to visit, and where to stay.thanks

Old Mar 14th, 1998, 08:03 AM
miranda

Take your pick or combine some of the following:

Williamsburg, VA (living history/plantations/outlet shopping)
Washington, DC (our nation's capital in its spring finery!)
Cape May, NJ (ocean beach, beautiful Victorian homes and inns)

There's enough to do in any of these for a week and they are all on your route. Have a great trip.

Old Mar 16th, 1998, 09:25 PM
Tricia

Dave- My husband works for Fluor Daniels and they have offices all over the USA and the world- he is currently in Saudia Arabia. We live in Calif at present but he worked in the Greenville office and in the Marlton, New Jersey office, which was 20 minutes from Philadelphia. I don't know how interested you are in American history but I just loved it back there. People are so patriotic on the East coast. Washington D.C is a must. We were on such a tight budget we got ourselves a camping guide and stayed in the KOA campgrounds that have little log cabin houses and threw our sleeping bags on the bunks! They are well-kept, clean, the campgrounds have pools, groceries, laundromats. We took the train into Washington D.C. and it was quite an experience. You should be used to trains!! We have chains of hotels in the USA that run from budget to expensive. I even found out we have hostels and I have the internet site for it if you want it, but they are a little harder to find. When I was there I picked up the Sunday paper and went right to the travel section to get ideas on what to see. That is how I found Valley Forge, where Washington's soldiers almost starved during the winter, Eisenhowers house in Gettsysburg is not to be missed. Try to attend a civil war re-enactment if you see one in the newspaper. See Independence Hall in Philadelphia and walk the same steps George Washington walked on. You can visit the church he worshiped in. Have a Phiilly Cheesesteak Sandwich, Ymm.. and Cheesecake! E mail me if I can help any more. We have the Automobile Club here in USA, called AAA (for short) and I know it has sister association s in Europe. If you are a member in Europe you can get assistance here. They give out free tour books, maps and free routing service. If you break down on the road they will tow your car or fix your tire, or charge your battery, or even if you lock yourself out of your car they will get you back in it. Its about $40 a year to join. I went to the one in New Jersey all the time to get info!!

Old Mar 17th, 1998, 05:51 PM
Laura

I was in Ireland last year. I loved it. Hope you enjoy your stay in the U.S. From Greenville, S.C. you might want to drive north and visit the Outer Banks off of North Carolina. You can take a 21/2 hour ferry ride from Morehead City, N.C. to Okracoke Island and then take a short ferry from Okracoke to Cape Hatteras and then drive up the Outer Banks to the highway that crosses over to Virginia around Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Then take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel to Maryland and continue North on route 13 where you can make side trips to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands and then continue North on 13 to Lewes, Delaware and take the Cape May Ferry over to New Jersey, see some of the Jersey shore and drive back to Newark either along the shore or on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike. There is some great scenery on that route. Have fun!

Old Mar 17th, 1998, 05:52 PM
Laura

I was in Ireland last year. I loved it. Hope you enjoy your stay in the U.S. From Greenville, S.C. you might want to drive north and visit the Outer Banks off of North Carolina. You can take a 21/2 hour ferry ride from Morehead City, N.C. to Okracoke Island and then take a short ferry from Okracoke to Cape Hatteras and then drive up the Outer Banks to the highway that crosses over to Virginia around Norfolk and Virginia Beach. Then take the Chesapeake Bay Bridge/Tunnel to Maryland and continue North on route 13 where you can make side trips to Chincoteague and Assateague Islands and then continue North on 13 to Lewes, Delaware and take the Cape May Ferry over to New Jersey, see some of the Jersey shore and drive back to Newark either along the shore or on the Garden State Parkway and New Jersey Turnpike. There is some great scenery on that route. Have fun!