Restaurant in midtown

Search

Restaurant in midtown

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Restaurant in midtown

Traveling to NYC with 17 year old daughter and her friend. We are staying at the Sheraton on 7th and 53rd. On Saturday or Sunday evening they would like to "dress up " and go out for a meal. I'M thinking preferably within walking distance. Is $150-200. anywhere near what I would expect to pay.(No drinks). I would like to try something in Hell's Kitchen. Appreciate any comments. Need to make reservations soon.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 07:37 AM

That's a reasonable budget, especially if you aren't drinking any alcohol. But there are about 500 restaurants in Manhattan that fit your general criteria, most of them NOT in Hell's Kitchen, which is not particularly known for its fine cuisine or great restaurants, though there are a few here and there.

If you really want to dress up and go someplace special, I have my own favorites. What kind of food are you looking for? You might enjoy one of the restaurants in the Time-Warner Center, which is not in Hell's Kitchen but close. But again, it's very hard to recommend something really good and not simply expensive without anything to go on regarding your preferences.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:41 AM

Hell's Kitchen is not an area with a lot of "dress up" restaurants. It's more casual. And Sun. night is a particularly poor night for a dress up restaurant. Frankly, people don't dress up that much any more except at places that will be much more $$$ than $150-200 for 3 like Daniel or Le Bernardin which probably wouldn't interest them anyway.

The girls would probably enjoy the meatpacking district on the edge of Chelsea. Buddakan is a trendy, grand looking Asian place that was the setting of the rehearsal dinner in the "Sex and the City" movie. http://www.buddakannyc.com/buddakan.html

The Standard Grill is another idea in the area. http://www.thestandardgrill.com/

The only place I can think of within walking distance of the Sheraton that might be fun for them is the Modern restaurant inside MOMA.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 10:56 AM

I agree, within walking distance The Modern might make sense. Though I'm not a big fan. It is unique however.

You might also consider Circo on 55th and 6th or Bar Americain on 52nd and 6th. Both have their positives and negatives. The latter is one of Bobby Flay's places. Both will give you a sense of New York.

Esca, a Mario Batali, spot might also be a good option.

Not sure it's open on Sunday, but I'd consider walking a bit north and going to Picholine on West 64th. Assuming they aren't big eaters, their cheese and wine (not for them obviously) tasting menu might provide some nice food experiences.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 11:10 AM

There's an excellent Italian restaurant a half block from your hotel that fills the bill--Remi on West 53rd between 6th & 7th.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 02:49 PM

And they'd be the youngest ones in the place.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 04:22 PM

Agree that very few people dress up for restaurants - unless you mean something different than I do by dress up. And midtown has hundreds of places.

Type of food would help -as would a definition of dress up. (I was in Texas a few years ago and saw 2 couple having dinner in a public restaurants - the women in ball gowns and way too much jewelry and the men in tuxedos. It looked really weird. It was a decent italian restaurant - nothing special although at the higher end pricewise.)
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 04:41 PM

I didn't read your original post carefully enough. Definitely the budget is very low for 3 people (somehow I was reading 2), especially for a fancy dress-up restaurant in NYC. But I do like the idea of the Modern, though the Bar Room is actually pretty casual. If you order carefully, you can certainly eat there for $50 per person if you don't order wine or alcohol.

And I don't think the dress-up part is what many people are considering dressing up. I suspect it's a lot more casual.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM

Tell me, mclaurie,so what if they are the youngest ones there? It's a damned good restaurant....and I've taken some young people there and they enjoyed it. Gee, I never noticed if they were the youngest one there.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 02:56 AM
Original Poster

I've talked to the girls who are soon to be 18 and they like all kinds of food. Probably not red meat but chicken or seafood. Dress up will be basically dresses to them, nothing formal. I'M thinking of a place with interesting decor as well as interesting food but not too far out there..My daughter loves pureed soups and interesting salads. We would like to be able to walk from our hotel. Just don't want to end up in a place too upscale. Another night we would like to try some Indian food if there is something in the area of 7th and 53. Thanks again.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 04:26 AM

I've found the best way to have Indian in NY is one of the lunch buffets. Bombay Palace on 52nd between 5th and 6th has been there for ages with a pretty decent lunchtime buffet.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 05:16 AM

I just have to ask why you are so obsessed with the idea of eating only in restaurants that are within walking distance of your hotel?

There are some great and even inexpensive Indian restaurants in NYC (or if you want something different and slightly less Indian, then there's Tabla). But not all are within walking distance of the Sheraton. The subway is safe and easy to navigate, so don't be so locked into the immediate area around your hotel. Midtown is not the best place for good inexpensive food.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Because I am a bit familiar with the area where we are staying, I feel more comfortable, alone with 2 teenage girls, with staying in that area but I could be convinced to venture beyond. We are seeing Wicked at 3 pm on Sunday and I was looking for something for Sunday evening. The weather forecast is promising for the weekend so I thought strolling around Times Square and then having dinner nearby would be a good plan.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:05 AM

I think The Modern sounds like your best option. It's a nicer place than several other locations mentioned. It is a place unique to NY in that it's in the MoMa and depending on your table, you can have a nice view of some of their artwork.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 07:35 AM

I'd suggest trying a restaurant outside of the Times Square bubble.

The meatpacking restaurant suggestions are good ones for young people. Or maybe try Tao which is on E 58th & Madison.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 08:30 AM

If you want to try a restaurant that is further than walking distance from the hotel/theater but you're a bit nervous about taking public transportation, hail a cab. Give the driver the address and you won't have to worry about taking the right subway etc. There is always time to try the bus and subway etc. when you aren't dressed up and aren't trying to get to a dinner reservation. Have fun!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 09:24 AM

Times Square is quite unpleasant - although tourists always seem mad to see it. (As a native I've never understood the attraction - it's an awful area - loud, tacky, mobbed, garish, and full of overexpensive chain restaurants, tacky souvenir shops or places to buy things nobody wants. How can there be a store just for M and Ms? It's colored candy that comes in little bags to annoy people with at the movies. How does it need a store???)

With 2 girls that age definitely head downtown to a trendy place where they may see "someone" or at least people who look liked they could be someone (rather than just other tourists).
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 09:33 AM

Shame on you nytraveler for becoming so jaded! Don't you understand that the fact that Times Square is "loud, tacky, mobbed, garish" are just the reasons people want to see it!
I'm one New Yorker who isn't repelled at the mere thought of Times Square and I really don't shudder or whatever when I walk through the area.....crowds, tackiness and all!
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 10:58 AM

We always take our visitors to Times Square, even the relatives from Chicago are impressed. And while we there we show them the T-Rex at Toys R Us.

They are enthralled by the lights, the people, and energy.

I got a hint many years ago when a colleague from Detroit and I were just walking around the East Village in the early evening and he thought there were a lot of people on the street and it was probably less than usual.

Personally, you can keep Times Square, but for those who haven't seen it, seem to enjoy it.
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 11:18 AM

I think Times Square is worth seeing for any tourist, but, it doesn't have to be for an entire day, or even afternoon. It's one of those "you have to see it to believe it" kind of places, but once you see it you can take a few pictures and leave.

The reality is, it's sadly turning a bit into an outdoor version of a suburban mall with all the chain stores and restaurants. But it's still lively, colorful, tacky, crowded, and all the rest, and that is why people want to visit it and what makes it so 'special' (in the tourist sense).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -