Resorts near Bend, Oregon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are spending a few days near Bend, Oregon at the end of June. Are there any resorts that you would recommend? We are thinking of the Black Butte Ranch. Has anyone been there?
Old May 14th, 2004, 07:52 PM

I have not been to Black Butte in many years, so I can't really comment on it...although it was nice back then. Our favorite place which is just outside of Bend (about 10-15 minutes) is Sunriver Resort. We go there at least once a year, usually more...and there is so much to do that we never have enough time. There is incredible hiking and climbing in the area, whitewater rafting, the lava caves and the High Desert Museum as well. On the Sunriver property itself you can keep yourself busy with the miles and miles of bike paths, golfing, pools, tennis, canoeing, horseback riding and the spa. I always feel like a walking advertisement for the resort, although I have no connection to it...just that our entire family and extended family really enjoy the place.
Old May 15th, 2004, 10:42 PM

We lived in Portland 13 yrs, until a couple of years ago. I think Black Butte is regarded as the top resort in the Oregon Cascades, and possibly in all of the Cascades. It is tucked into the mountains and has lots of organized activities and recreational opportunities. Sunriver is also very nice, but is larger and less cohesive. It is more in the hills at the bottom of the mountains, just before the land flattens out. It doesn't have as warm a feel as Black Butte and may be less consistent.
I think it is easier to find accomodations for only a couple of days at Sunriver and it is slightly less expensive, on average, than Black Butte. My impression is that Black Butte has more weekly rentals. We have stayed three times at Sunriver, 2x in winter because it is close to skiing at Mt. Bachelor, the best ski area in Oregon. We have not stayed at Black Butte, but we have lots of friends who have nothing but praise for it. I don't think either would be disappointing.
Old May 16th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Hi,
Knowing both resorts (last time at Black Butte was at the World Cup Sled Dog Award dinner). Both are nice however the diversity of restaurants is better at Sun River. The concerts at Drake Park in Bend are terrific as is the downtown. Best restaurant in Bend is the Pine Tavern (have lunch on the Patio) watching the swans on the Deshuttes River. My vote is for Sun River.
Old May 16th, 2004, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all those who responded to my query. The answers have been very helpful. If there are any more people out there who want to weigh in on this, I would be very appreciative.

francophone
Old May 16th, 2004, 08:08 PM
minnie17

I, too, would recommend Sunriver Resort. It is a great place to visit. Lots to do.We have been going there for 25 years, and the available activities are endless. Have Fun.

Old May 17th, 2004, 07:54 AM

I was just at Black Butte a couple weekends ago with some friends, and we loved it. I've also stayed at Sun River. I find that Sun River is a lot more touristy and built up than Black Butte--I think Black Butte is prettier and more peaceful. Bend definitely has a lot more to do and better restaurants than Sisters. Both have beautiful places to see and hike around them. We took a hike along the Metolius River that was lovely. It depends on what you are looking for, but personally, I prefer Black Butte.
Old May 17th, 2004, 05:34 PM

I will weigh in for Black Butte Ranch. We have been to both, but ended up actually purchasing a second home in Black Butte Ranch which we had for 4 yrs. before the distance from FL become too much just for summers. (sold in 2002)

It is a matter of personal preference. There is more shopping and touristy type activities at Sunriver. The Ranch is laid back and very relaxing. The Camp Sherman and Metolius area (near the Ranch) is incredible. I also love Bend and agree that a drive there for one late afternoon and into the evening is worth it.

Whaaaa!! I want to go. Have a wonderful time.
Old May 18th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the help, everybody. It was a hard decision, but we thought we would try Sun River this time and Black Butte the next.
Old May 18th, 2004, 03:20 PM

You will not be disappointed A couple options for lodging...a home to rent, a condo, or the lodge. The lodge has a few varieties...we prefer the River Lodge. Very nice rooms, well appointed. A friend and I stay there when we do our girls getaway. When the family goes for longer we always rent a home. Sunriver does that, but for some reason we always go through a different property management company...Sunray (www.sunrayinc.com). Sunray rents MANY homes at Sunriver and is very professional and we have never had a problem.

The Sage Springs Spa is only about 2 years old and is gorgeous. It is right on the Sunriver property. If you enjoy these things, definitely treat yourself.