Resort w/ beach @ Key West

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:28 PM
francis

Resort w/ beach @ Key West

Does any more about the Wyndham Resort's beach facilities? Are they on-site or a ride away? Are there any other resorts with an on-site beach in Key West? Thanks.

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 01:32 PM
May

They are on site.
The Hyatt has a small beach.
The Pier House has a small beach.
The Hilton has a beach but it is a ride away
The Galleon has a small beach.
Southernmost on the Beach has a beach

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 07:17 PM
candace

As many who have been there will tell you - DON'T GO TO KEY WEST FOR THE BEACH!!! The coral makes it far too uncomfortable to wade or swim. We stayed at the Wyndhame for 2 nights - the hotel room was superb W/ a separate living room overlooking "the beach" - we had 2 balconies (from br and lr), but the smell was so briny, it was not pleasant to sit out there, the beach is going to be a big disappointment if you have been to any other Atlantic beach or to the Carribbean. The pool was very nice (btw), the beaches in the keys are all about the same, we went from Key Largo to Key West, stopping at 4 locales down the coast. Enjoy

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:12 PM
Debbie

Francis-We are also planning a trip to Keys.

Easy resolve about beach(although it is very true about the coral) is to go to Expedia and pull up hotels for the Keys. You can at least get a good idea of choices and see pictures and locations of the properties.

Most folks don't head to the Keys with the beach in mind...all the finer hotels have pools of course.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 12:18 PM
sn

The beach at the Moorings in Islamorada is one of the nicest I've ever been on--anywhere!

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 01:55 PM
scott

My favorite hotel is the Casa Marina (it used to be a mariott but may be the Wyndham). Most of the action is at the north end of Duval. The C.M. is at the south end, a block or so from the southernmost marker. It has its own beach, unlike most hotels but be advised that you should bring a pair of slip-on water sport shoes because there are numerous rocks in shallow water. Splurge and get a water view with a balcony (some rooms do not have one and offer a side street view)

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 02:27 PM
Barbara

Yes the Wyndham's on Key West both have on site beaches and water sports. I stayed at the Reach this summer and had a great time.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:02 PM
Melanie

Has any stayed at the Sheraton Suites on Smathers Beach? I'm aware that it is not near the action. We'll be there during Fantasy Fest and think we'd prefer to away from that crowd.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 03:09 PM
Sam

It is nice but not on the beach and not within walking distance to town. The rooms are very nice. They also have a shuttle that will take you to town. The beach is across the street from it.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 04:49 PM
Postal

The Casa Marina is actually about six blocks from the southernmost point marker and the southern end of Duval Street. The Sheraton Suites are across the street from Smathers Beach (although it also is not much of a beach) and very decent. I've walked from there to Old Town many times and it's a pleasant walk but takes about 45 minutes. Priceline often gets the Sheraton Suites for $80 or so.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 05:03 PM
Rose

We stayed at the Southernmost Motel this summer and I would highly recommend it. The first floor,poolside rooms are very relaxing. While there is a beach, it is not worth the effort, as most beaches in the Keys aren't.

Old Sep 5th, 2002, 07:43 PM
targ

The Sheraton Suites are reasonably priced and have comfortable, large rooms and the location is quiet. Probably too quiet for a lot of people going to Key West as it is some distance from the main part of town, but we found it very relaxing. The beach that is across the street is not that nice, unfortunately. Not worth even setting foot upon it. The restaurant in the hotel is "okay." One nice restaurant in town is Camille's. Great mahi, and I hear they serve wonderful breakfasts too.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 06:25 AM
susan

Melanie - if you're planning on being in Key West during Fantasy Fest next month you may find everything is already booked. Prices spike during special events (sometimes double) and places book months in advance.

Old Sep 6th, 2002, 07:09 AM
melanie

Thanks for the info.