Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown DC?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 03:55 AM
jr

Has anyone stayed at the Residence Inn by Marriott at Thomas Circle? Any comments on the place? Is is safe? Clean?

There's another Residence Inn further away from the White House. I'd prefer to stay as close as possible though.

Old Sep 25th, 2000, 10:26 AM
Ruth

I work a block away from the Residence Inn at Thomas Circle. It's only been open for 1-2 years so it should be ok as far as fixtures and cleanliness. The neighborhood is very safe during the day and is ok at night as long as you exercise the regular urban cautions of watching where you walk and who's around you. It's definitely easy walking distance to the White House and there are now some decent restaurants within a few blocks--depeding upon how much you want to spend for dinner. It's about 4 blocks from the McPherson Metro and that should be an ok walk at night. Have a great time.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 11:56 AM
jr

Is this area very accessible to public transportation?

When you say "ok" at night....does that mean not very nice/deserted streets? Is this location considered downtown? The recently renovated area of downtown?

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:29 PM
dlb

I'd recommend staying at the Residence Inn on 29th St. The neighborhood is safer& close to Georgetown, M Street & Dupont Circle. There are two metro stations within easy walking distance. (The White House is in easy walking distance from 29th St., as well - would take about 15 minutes.) Have fun - DC is great!

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 02:47 PM
Christina

I used to work right near there on Vermont between the metro and Thomas Circle and I would not say it's okay at night, unless it's changed drastically in the last few years. There are lots of prostitutes and vagrants etc around there; my company used to pay for us to call a cab when we worked at night so we did not have to be on the street around there at all. There were so many hookers that the police put up signs forbidding right turns on the streets around there after dark so cars couldn't circle the block picking up women. I don't know if they still have that traffic law or not. Even at night, there are quite a lot of people around between the metro and that hotel, so I don't think anything terrible will happen to you and there is another well-known hotel there right on Thomas Circle also (Wash Plaza, used to be called something else, I think it was where the former mayor Barry got busted on tape for smoking crack) so you will not be alone in that neighborhood if you stay there. The Wash Post newspaper offices are right around there, also, and other businesses, so there are lots of people around in the daytime. There are a couple popular (and expensive) restaurants around there (ie, Georgia Browns), but they are closer to the metro not up near Thomas Circle. There are a lot of vagrants/homeless in the parks there (the one just in front of the metro and one one block away, Franklin) who may be harmless or not, but it's not that pleasant walking through them in the daytime let alone at night. That area is considered downtown, I'd say, and is more renovated than it used to be, in any case--but it's not the area you are probably thinking of which is around 7th St and Penn Ave and the Lansburgh theater, that is a newly renovated hot area with lots of bars, restaurants, nice apartments, etc. Thomas Circle is safe during the day and I don't think there are usually murders around there, even at night. If you are used to large cities and urban environments like that and are a guy, I'd stay there if you think it convenient. If you are a single woman, I would not, if you will be walking from that metro to your hotel at night. The panhandlers etc around that particular metro stop can be somewhat aggressive, also, and the metro exit is not as open as some others, so I would not want to come out there by myself at night. The area is very accessible to public transportation as that metro stop is right there (McPherson Sq).

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 04:30 AM
JR

I just checked out the web page for Residence Inn at Dupont Circle. It has a Mobil rating of 1 star; AAA rating of 1 diamond; Michelin rating of 1 star. I can't imagine, with all of the amenities offered by this chain, that the rating would be so low. Is this place really run down?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 06:27 AM
lisa

Christina -- Yes, that area has changed drastically in the past few years; it has been cleaned up significantly. The problems you mentioned which were very real just a few years ago are gone (well, I'm sure they're not really "gone," probably just moved somewhere else; I know not where). It's still not one of the better areas in the city but it's not terrible like it used to be. However, I have never been inside that Residence Inn so I can't vouch for it, except to say that I do believe it hasn't been there very long so I can't imagine it would already been run down, but who knows.
JR -- if you're still looking for a place to stay with your elderly mother, I think there have got to be better options out there than this one. The other area you were looking in on New Hampshire Ave. near Dupont Circle metro is better than Thomas Circle.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 07:13 AM
JR

Thanks for the information. I've been trying to find a variety of sources. The area around Dupont Circle sounds good, and we will probably go with the Clarion there. The Residence Inn at Dupont only gets a 1 star/1 diamond rating. This seems curious to me with all of the amenities. I was attracted to the Thomas Circle Residence Inn because of it's newness and proximity to the White House. I like the idea of a kitchenette in the room--but only if the place is clean. NO bugs!

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 08:43 AM
Ruth

The Residence Inn is south of Thomas Circle so to get to or from the Metro, you don't cross Thomas Circle, but just head straight down Vermont Ave. The police really seem to have the hooker problem under control--like Christina, I remember when this area was swarming with them. The streets will probably not have a lot of people on them at night--say after 8 or 9. I haven't had to work late around here but I don't think I'd be terribly nervous about walking a few blocks. As I said in my earlir post, you have to be street-aware.

Old Oct 2nd, 2000, 11:36 AM
Ann

I'll have to agree that the Thomas Circle area has really done a 180 in the past few years. It used to be pretty nasty at night, and now it's the hot neighborhood for real estate. Go figure.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 04:38 AM
Kimberly

I have stayed many times at the Marriott metro. It is a very nice hotel and in a very safe place.

Old Oct 3rd, 2000, 06:09 AM
DougD

Another hotel to consider is the Wyndham City center, on New hampshire Ave,in te Foggy Bottom area. This is a very safe, upscale area just south of Dupont Circle, and about 2 blocks from the metro. The rooms were clean and spacious, and were about $100 a night. There is no pool here however.

Old Oct 9th, 2000, 09:35 AM
CJ

Speaking of pools -- anyone know of a nice downtown hotel around $100 a night with a pool?

Old Oct 15th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Jeannie

JR- could you give us a trip report? I will be in DC in several days, and from yor posts, it seems you may have traveled with older family memebers. I will be with my parents, who are 79 and 73. Any specific suggestions related to the sr. citizens? Thanks