Reload this Page >

Reservations for Tavern on the Green

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 10:28 AM
Mary Anne Cook

Just read email about Tavern on the Green. Is it necessary to make reservations? Will be in NY Nov.29-Dec.3.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 10:31 AM
Julie

Unless you're just going for drinks, I would recommend reservations. Particularly at this time of the year. Weekends in New York tend to be very busy due to Holiday shoppers and weekenders.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 02:19 PM
NY

Absolutely-do make reservations as soon as possible!

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 04:20 PM
John

You know, Mary Anne, I was just reading old posts about NY restaurants. The Tavern on the Green is not well thought of if you're going there to eat. Very nice for drinks and atmosphere.
One of the more outspoken and knowledgable critics (long time Fodors readers will remember Sam) commmented that the food at TOTG was so bad that he would have considered "licking his own behind" (you can guess the actual wording) to get the awful aftertaste out of his mouth. Obviously a bit of hyperbole.
But not a single poster had anything good to say about the food there.
Just a little FYI.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 05:24 PM
zzz

Mary Anne, I would look into the Zagats food reveiws ,etc, before you make any decisions based on heresay by posters on this site.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 05:25 PM
confused

John, if they are "old posts" why are you telling Mary Ann that Tavern on the Green is no good now? It may have changed since those posts...

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 05:33 PM
mia

OK - I looked it up on Zagats, they say that it is an attraction for both locals and tourists, the food is considered improved and surprisingly good and they liked the Crystal Room, it is good for parties..they rated the food a 17. Now you can decide to make a reservation or not Enjoy NY~ M

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 07:32 PM
hobojo

Hi Mary Anne,

I just saw on the local news that TOTG has all the trees around it lit in red, white & blue at night. It looked absoulutey beautiful. However, when you make reservations make sure you request the Crystal Room-that is the famous room you see that overlooks the park. If you cannot get into that room-and it may very well be that it could be booked for a holiday party, I would recommend just walking by and admiring the lit trees at night. The other rooms are not special at all-I think there are much nicer places to eat in the city. If they take the reservation and when you get there refuse to seat you in the Crystal Room, just leave.

Old Nov 21st, 2001, 08:47 PM
John

Thank you Mia.
You just confirmed my suspicions.
I checked Zagat as well.

A food rating of 17 is HORRIBLE!
OLIVE GARDEN and CALIFORNIA PIZZA KITCHEN rate that high!!!!
And for $60 per person???

THe reviews I was referring to earlier were from local NYers who eat out a lot. Some snobby perhaps, but for anyone who is used to 'getting what you pay for', I'm betting TOTG is indeed all fluff and no substance.
Caveat 'eator'!!

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 03:47 AM
Mary Anne

To everyone thanks for your replies. Is there a brunch on weekends. May try that if that is the case. Just want to see the place with its Christmas decorations as much as the food. have been to the city 3 times,but never before Christmas so my daughter and I are as much interested in the beauty of Christmas as anything else there. Please recommend other places to dine. We are staying at the Grand Hyatt so places in the 10 or so blocks in that area. Thanks again.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 05:56 AM
hobojo

Everyone always rushes over to the Christmas tree at Rocefeller Center, and it is very nice, but I think a really beautiful tree that is overlooked is the lovely indoor tree with the 18th Century Neopolitan figurines that is on display at the Met. Museum of Art. It is quite lovely.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 07:02 AM
Carol

MaryAnne do keep in mind that when people criticize the food at Tavern on the Green (especially locals) it's because they're usually not there as much for the 'experience' as for the food itself. NY diners are likely the most critical in the US, and what's mediocre to someone who eats at NYC's best may be very good to someone who doesn't live in NYC. As a visitor to NYC, even if the food is mediocre, you (or your daughter) may get what you want out of the experience just from the atmosphere. Depends on why you're going. If you had your heart set on going, I'd go. Armed with expectations for a beautiful setting, and if you like the food as well, so much the better.

Old Nov 22nd, 2001, 04:51 PM
atexan

You bet you need a reservation.We had one a month before our visit in July and still could only go for Sun. am brunch.Anyway, glad I've been and will tell you I'll never go back.We were rushed in, sat down,waitor brought $16. water to our table and prompted our order with hesitation. Waaay overstated and highly overrated! Tsk, Tsk, never!!!