Reload this Page >

Report on NYC on a Budget - Just Back

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 02:54 PM
Nova

Just returned from a four night stay in NYC (Friday - Tuesday). Stayed at the Red Roof Inn near 32nd and Broadway (not far from Macy's). Paid $125 per night - excellent value, particularly since a continental breakfast was included. Excellent location, very clean rooms - two double beds, quiet. It's small, but would definately recommend(despite the slow elevators). Continental breakfast served starting at 7:00 a.m. (fruit, instant hot oatmeal cereal, bread, bagels, rolls, juice). We made the mistake of going out for breakfast our first morning, not realizing just how substanital the continental was. Paid $34 for an ok breakfast, but decided we'd rather eat at the hotel and spend $ elsewhere.

Oh yes, took the subway and bus from the airport to Midtown - absolutely no problems -very easy to do. Must have exact change when getting on bus - $1.50 per person. Bus takes you to subway station - another $1.50 will get you on the subway. We are not big city people or savvy travellers, but still had no problems. $9 total for the 3 of us - took approx. 1.5 hours. Bought the Rough Guide to NYC before we left and highlighted all pertinent info. It had a map of the subway stations, buses, etc. with clear instructions how to get from airport to our hotel. Highly recommend it.

Inexpensive lunches (under $3) are so easy to find - street vendors sell sausages, hot dogs, etc., slices of pizza are available.

Dinner was usually around $50 or so.

Went to the Museum of Natural History. What a gem. Recommend you buy the extra ticket to see the Space Show, narrated by Harrison Ford. Excellent.

The Metro Fun Pass is worth getting. Unlimited rides for one day - $4 per person.
3 rides and it pays for itself.

We splurged one night and saw The Blue Man Group. It's different.

The people we met were wonderful - very, very helpful, considerate, and pleased that we were visiting.

All in all - a memorable experience - we love the city and the people, and look forward to returning soon.

Thank you, New York City!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 04:19 PM
x

There is so much written here about that subway-bus method of getting into the city, and most folks warning newbies off the idea, that it's nice to hear how well - and simply - it worked out for you. Glad you had a good trip!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:18 PM
Statia

Nova:

I remember your posting before your trip and I'm glad to hear that everything worked out wonderfully. Yes, NYC is a fabulous town.

I'm also glad that Red Roof worked out well....I usually stay at Hotel Stanford, just down the block, when I'm there on business. At least I know I can recommend both hotels now.

Thanks for the update!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:16 PM
aa

Curious - the train took you to 42nd ST. How did you get to the hotel on 32nd. Did you have much luggage and was it a problem on the bus and the subway?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:35 PM
Nova

We transferred to the subway going to 34th St. - one stop away(Macy's & Penn Station stop) and simply walked a very short distance - 5 minutes (blocks seem so small in NYC)to hotel. We had only hand luggage - one each, which made the bus/subway travel so much easier.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 12:47 PM
x

Depressing

Old May 23rd, 2002, 01:06 PM
Owen O'Neill

Glad you had fun and reported back - this type of info is so helpful to people who wish to travel to NYC on a budget. As you discovered, it's possible to have a great time in the city without spending loads of $$ and public transportation is excellent. On future trips please note that there are great breakfast values in NYC but noot everywhere - I've seen palces where a hard roll, coffee and small OJ cost $10-$11 and others where a hearty hot breakfast can be had for $4-45. It does take shoppinig around. IMHO the Stanford is a real gem and worth checking out on your next trip. They don't include a breakfast but there was a mini-fridge in my room and a small tabel wiht two chairs that would serve nicely for having breakfast or snacks in the room while recharging your energy.

Old May 24th, 2002, 05:38 AM
Statia

Owen:

Hotel Stanford does have breakfast now...on the second floor in the bar. However, it's usually crowded with no place to sit and has less to offer than what Red Roof seems to have. A few cereals, milk, juice, toast, etc.

Another plus at the Stanford is having a 24 hour restaurant and bakery/coffee shop on the premises.

Old May 24th, 2002, 06:15 AM
KenCT

There are many, many great things to do in NYC that don't cost a lot. Most museums have afternoons or evenings when they are free. Others have a "suggested" fee, but if your budget is tight, you can usually pay what you want. Park and libraries are free. And the best part about the city - its people and its architecture - don't cost a cent.

As a previous poster indicated, food can cost a little or a lot. Many people will recommend Chinatown as a the place to go for low cost dining. But one of my favorite alternatives is to take the subway out to Brooklyn Heights, spend some time on the promenade with those incredible views of the Manhattan skyline, then get lunch or dinner at one of the many low cost restaurants on Atlantic Avenue.

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 08:48 AM
ali

just returned from a long weekend getaway to NYC with my husband. stayed at the red roof inn for $100 per night. we had a small one king bed room, but it was clean. the complimentary continental breakfast was more than i expected. the staff was not too friendly but that might not depend on the hotel chain. despite some minor issues, i would recommend the hotel because of its cleanliness and location. easy access to subway stations, restaurants, and shopping. we felt safe walking in that area at night.

it's a city worth exploring on foot! we took several long walks in the city. it was quite romantic! one night after dinner, we walked from the rockefeller center to saint patrick's cathedral and up 5th ave to the edge of central park. on another night before dinner, we walked from the financial district to battery park. on the second morning we walked for more than two hours in central park. wear comfortable shoes!

if you like sushi, you should go to sushi yashuda on 43rd street. we had melt in your mouth sushi! it was amazing. the service was excellent too. you can tell that the chef has put a lot of attention to the details. reservation recommended. $$$

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 09:58 AM
nyer

Metro Cards can be purchased before your arrival. The transfer from the bus to the train is then free. $1.50 for the whole trip
www.mta.info

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 10:43 AM
katie

I've been to NY on a budget and have stayed at the Broadway Millenium (3star) for less than $100 a night using priceline. Pretty large rooms.