Search

NYC Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NYC Trip Report

As a way of saying thanks for all the helpful info. received from this board, I thought I'd share our trip report with you all.

Day One:

We took the red-eye flight to JFK and arrived 25 mins. early. We took the Airtrain to Jamaica station, then LIRR to Penn station using $3.50 city ticket. We bought donuts at Tim Hortons just to have a little something in our bellies. From Penn station, we walked over to 33rd PATH and took that to Westin Jersey City. We were able to get on the Starwood Preferred Floor but no view of Manhattan. Luckily, our room was ready so we dropped off our bags and headed to Citifield (via PATH & LIRR) for the Met’s last game of the season.

When we got to Penn, we almost lost each other bec. Hubby went to ask which train goes to Citifield while I watched the info. board. When we got to Citifield, there was already a line for Shake Shack so we bought our lunch first thing. We loved the shack burgers, the krinkle fries and the black and white shakes.

After lunch, we toured the park and checked out the posh Caesar’s Club since it was included in our tickets. I wanted to stay at the lounge and take a nap at one of the many sofas but hubby insisted I sit with him as he watched the game so I ended falling asleep on and off during the 6 innings we stayed through. We left Citifield via the 7 train and headed to midtown. We walked around Herald Square, Broadway, and Flatiron Bldg. As we walked, we were semi-watching the Polish day parade. At one point, we ran across the Empire State Bldg. but Hubby didn’t believe that was it because he couldn’t see the top of it. I pointed out the sign and he finally acquiesced. For the rest of the trip, whenever we caught a glimpse of the Empire State bldg, I would tease him and say, “There’s my Empire State building, where’s yours?”

We pulled out our guidebook and followed along whilst looking at the buildings and their architecture. We went into Macy’s and saw the wooden escalator.

We walked down to Madison Square Park, pulled out our guidebook and followed along as we checked out the different buildings and their architecture. We saw the long line for Shake Shack so we passed on getting frozen custards.

Afterwards, we headed to dinner at Blue Smoke, where we had fried chicken, rib sampler and dessert sampler. After dinner, we headed back to the hotel, swam in the ice cold pool, and retired for the night.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:00 PM

Great start - I'm exhausted - hope you slept well.
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:35 PM

we tried Shake Shack too in the UWS as everyone was going on about it - interesting burger but a little greasy
nice taste though - the frozen custard was yummy - we shared it though as Im sure there is a gazillion calories in it!
have fun ...i love NYC
cant wait to visit again...who knows when?!
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:38 PM

Wow! I was tired after the trip from JFK to NJ and then back to Queens!
Old Oct 13th, 2009, 04:45 PM

Nice report!

Quick tip:
If you just want to order custard or drinks at the Shake Shack there is an express line with no wait called the blue line at the Madison Square Park location.