Search

Report from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Report from San Francisco

Hi Everyone

I have just returned from the best holiday of my life in California! i thought I would share some of my experiences if thats ok.

We flew with British Airways and had a smooth and safe trip over the atlantic. The first 5 nights were booked to stay in San Francisco itself (this included New Years eve). We stayed in the Canturbury Hotel on Sutter (I think the cross street was Taylor). It was fine, handy enough for us and plenty of space in our twin room!

On the first Sunday we spent a deal of time wondering about and getting acclimatized! We met our friend who lives out there on Sunday night and she took us to AsiaSF which was an interesting experience. The food was excellent and the waiting staff entertaining! We purchased 3 day passes for the Muni and used them well! I loved riding on the cable cars so much fun. We visited Haight, the Castro, a wee bit ofthe Mission district and of course spent time (not much) at Fisherman's Wharf. We enjoyed an excellent night out in Foley's irish bar and were well entertained once again. We walked accross the Golden Gate Bridge and enjoyed the amazing views on the way north! Coming back the clouds closed in and the heavens opened! Two days for my coat to dry out!

For New Years Eve we went to a club south of mission which had an eighties theme, this was fun!

After new year we went to Sonoma for 2 nights. We stayed at the Sonoma Valley Inn, which was lovely and handy again for the town square where we enjoed lovely meals in a mexican called Mayas and at the Swiss Hotel. The wine tasting was excellent and I had a ball! We went to about 12 different wineries over the 2 days. My favourites were Valley of the Moon, Bezinger(we did the tour there), Sebastianis and Vsutti. Came home with a load of wine! We spent our last night north of San Francisco in Cloverdale, fulfilling life time ambition of mine to stay in a motel! Why I am not sure!

Then we flew with Southwest to LA for a night, we stayed in a hostel nearish to Manns Chinese Theatre, while the hostel was nice enough, I have realised that I am to old for hostels! We went to Universal Studios, spent the whole day and a lot of the night there. The next day prior to our flight north we went to Santa Monica, Venice Beach, did a celebs homes tours and wondered a long the walk of fame! We just missed Celine Dion getting her star!

On our return to the bay area we did some shopping at Mall of America and Valleyfair, went to Alcatraz (a wee bit disappointing due to all the seismic refitting work going on) and the Museum of Modern Art!

We flew home exhausted after all our activites and having had a ball. I can't wait for my next trip back.

Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Scotgirl, I'm so glad you were able to enjoy this beautiful area despite our constant rain and gray skies the past few weeks.
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Oh it wasn't so bad I would say that rain put our plans out maybe just the once! Most of the time we found it cold and crisp but then we liked that, at home there was snow and deep frost so we felt that we got a good deal with the weather!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Great report, Scotgirl! Come back soon!
Old Jan 15th, 2004, 07:57 PM

My goodness it sounds like you covered a lot of territory during your trip. I'm not familier with the Mall of America, but I was surprised to see you managed to fit a shopping trip to Valley Fair in there as well. San Jose sounds like it was out of the way for you.

I'm glad to read you had a good time in California. I stay here for the Mediterrainian climate.

Old Jan 16th, 2004, 04:03 AM
jwc

I believe that Mall of America is the factory outlet mall in Milpitas. It is located in the old Ford auto assembly plant. It is kind of interesting with the memorabilia and history of the Ford plant. It is a pretty large outlet mall though not as large as the one in Gilroy.
Old Jan 16th, 2004, 07:57 AM

Scotgirl,
Next time you are compelled to stay in Cloverdale, hop onto Route 128 on your way out of town and head towards the Mendocino coast!
I'm glad you had a fun time in the Bay Ared and hope you find it worth another visit some time.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Abi

I believe that Scotgirl was referring to The Great Mall in Milpitas when she said Mall of America. The Valley Fair Mall in San Jose is great. You could get lost in there. You can't beat Santana Row for strolling and window shopping.
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

That's right Abi, it was in Milpitas! We stayed with a friend in San Jose for a few nights and she was kind enough to take us Scots to do some shopping on a large scale. We also visited the Winchester Mystery House which was weird!!
Old Jan 18th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Abi

Scotgirl,

Yes, the Winchester Mystery Hous is weird, but nice to see nonetheless. Glad you were able to spend some time in San Jose during your trip to California.