report from Camden trip with dog

Aug 30th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

report from Camden trip with dog

We had a fantastic time and I must say that Camden and the surrounding areas were VERY dog friendly. We stayed in a cabin on 7 acres on the ocean where our dog could romp all over. We took a 2 hours cruise on the schooner Appledore (yup, the dog came too) we ate at all of the various seafood restaurants on the water - any with dockside seating, there were always several dogs with their families. We took the ferry to Monhegan Island and did some wonderful hiking there and ate at the Dip Net in Port Clyde at the ferry landing. Wonderful meal.
Our dog was allowed in most of the shops and almost all of the shops put out water for the dogs. Thumbs up to Camden and Monhegan Island.
Aug 30th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the very helpful trip report. We got back from our second trip to Camden 2 weeks ago and are planning trip #3 for next year. We're adopting a shelter dog this week (!) so it's good to hear of your experience.

Did you use a particular website to find your cabin?
Aug 30th, 2005, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

yes, I used pettravel.com, petsonthego.com which are both good and on www.lanierbb.com you can search for pet friendly b&b's. We stayed at the high tide inn (hightideinn.com) which is on us1 between Camden and Lincolnville. It is a bed and breakfast with cottages and a motel on 7 acres on the ocean. They are very helpful and friendly there. Home baked muffins and popovers are included each morning (after 3 days, you get a bit popovered out though). They had tables and lounge chairs on the property and were happy to give you a tray so that you could take your breakfast outside and eat with your pup. We brought our pillows out and watched dvd's at night under the stars on the lounge chairs. Have a great time. Cheers on the shelter pup. We got both of our cats and our pup at the shelter too.
Aug 30th, 2005, 11:16 AM

Thank you for the extra info, gigi! Your trip sounds really fun.
Aug 30th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Sounds lovely...we always like to hear about dog friendly places. You didn't give the state, so I'm assuming you mean Camden, Maine, and not Camden, New Jersey...
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:29 PM

topping
Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:38 PM

Thanks starville. Don't know why this didn't come up when I used the search. But I have not always had the best results with search on this site.
May 30th, 2007, 11:30 AM

My husband and I also had a really good experience traveling with our dog (a Boxer) in Camden last summer. The schooner Olad also allows dogs on board. The nice folks at Bayview Lobster even supplied Frosty Paws for our pup.