Rental/young fam/SummerVac/CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! I am researching summer vacation options for my young family (husband, 2 boys ages 7 and 2 1/2). I am a complete novice when it comes to California yet was thinking of a house rental by or near the beach. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Would love something very pretty (duh) and not super over-built. A beautiful beach would be fun but am also open to something more woodsy or mountainous as well. We are looking at a 10 day or 2 week vacation. San Diego (beach) would probably be a good idea but other ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks for all your help!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 07:07 AM

How much are you willing to spend on accomodation? Will you have a car?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:04 AM

Add to Placename's questions, are you looking for someplace where you will just hang out for a couple of weeks - swimming, beach, eating, watersports, that kind of thing. Or are you looking for something that's also close to sightseeing?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

I am open in terms of price. I don't have to have something super luxurious, but certainly don't want something like a flea bag either. We aren't budget oriented, but also don't want to rule out middle of the road places either.

What we want to do: probably just hang out and do the beach, eating, swimming thing. Picnics, maybe a boat outing if something is nearby. We do the all-out Disney World trip each year so we aren't looking to kill ourselves here. But if something is fun nearby, we would certainly do it. Mainly we are looking for something very pretty.

And we will rent a car.

Thanks guys!
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 09:00 AM

"Opon in terms of price" is an unhelpful term. I can think of places that rent for $10K a week.

I don't know what "middle of the road" means to you in terms of $$$.

Very pretty will not be middle of the road.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 09:20 AM

www.vrbo.com

You should probably also ask this question on Trip Advisor
www.tripadvisor.com
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM

Since you're a complete novice on California let me help you. The beaches are warmer in S. Calif, the mountain/woodsy atmosphere is more prominent in N. Calif.

Most agree that the northern state is prettier scenery; you have Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Napa/Sonoma, Mendocino's rugged coast, Monterey/Carmel, Big Sur, redwood forests, volcanic areas.

Southern Calif. has better beaches for swimming & picnics plus all the attractions in the LA and San Diego areas. Maybe others can help with what's pretty down there because I haven't seen much that qualifies, personally.

Either way, 2 weeks could easily be split between the 2 very different parts of California.