Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Rental car...is it necessary to purchase the second driver fee?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering if this is necessary or not. My husband and I will be in Maui and Kauai for 16 days. Doesn't our personal insurance cover us? Or if we pay with AmEx, are we covered? Any info on whether or not its worth spending an additional $7 a day, would be excellent!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Just call your insurance agent and ask what your policy says. That's what we did.

According to the Travel Detective (book) most people's policies DO cover them and the rental Ins. is unnecessary...but I'd check (and DID). Belle
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Belle!
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Jenna, many rental car companies don't charge for spouses...although some do. Check the website or call the 800 number of the one with the best rate. The second driver fee and insurance are two different issues.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:04 PM
OO

I may be mistaken, but I believe the question you asked JennaJ, and the one OldSouthernBelle answered, are two different questions.

It sounds as if OSB is answering the question of whether or not your insurance will cover a rental car. It will, but with limitations.

What I think you are asking, is if it will cover a 2nd driver on the rental car if that person has not been added on as an additional driver at the rental company. The answer to that is most likely, "No"! Your own policy is written to cover you in an accident in any vehicle, your own or otherwise, if you have permission to use that vehicle. If you have not been added as a 2nd driver on the rental car, then they have not given you permission to use the vehicle and under those circumstances your company not only can, but most likely will, deny coverage. Don't chance it.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM

Renting thru' Hertz #1 Club Gold, one's spouse is an authorised driver automatically.
Others differ, Alamo for example wanted $5.95/day for an additional driver tho' some say they got it free so maybe it's negotiable at check-in.

For other insurance coverage that depends on your own coverage(perhaps) and possible (usually secondary) coverage thru' some credit cards. Check with your provider and relevant credit cards you have and/or might use.
Old Apr 27th, 2005, 07:22 PM

OO is offering good advice. This is not like sneaking another person into a hotel room. The consequences can be severe if the car is damaged when driven by person who is not listed as a driver on the rental agreement. If you're not on the rental agreement as a second driver your own car insurance will likely not cover any damage. Do not risk it.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:34 AM

We booked through Hertz recently and were told that with our AAA discount there is no charge for the 2nd driver.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:45 AM

I sure hope JennaJ doesn't take OldSouthernBelle's post as THE answer and doesn't come back to the thread to check for more info.

unfortunately Jenna's question mixed apples and oranges so that was a problem in the first place.

JennaJ: as most of the others say - additional driver fees and insurance are two entirely different things.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 05:47 AM

Only if you want to drive the car legally.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments. They were helpful. I have decided to add on a second driver and pay the fee's (of course, I will first try and negotiate a free add on).
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:24 PM

- Members of Hertz #1 Club Gold and National's Emerald Aisle automatically receive the spouse as an authorized driver at no extra charge

- Use of AAA discount code (provided you are a member of AAA) at Hertz also automatically includes the spouse as an authorized driver at no extra charge

- To the best of my knowledge, none of Avis' membership programs/rate codes provide for the spouse as an authorized driver without a charge

If your rental doesn't fall into any of the above categories, I suggest checking the terms and conditions of the rental with the rental car company. In my experience, most do NOT provide for the spouse as an authorized drive without a charge.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 12:28 PM

Correction to my post above.

- Spouse is an authorized driver provided the spouse is 25 or older on all AVIS rentals. No extra charge.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 02:32 PM

Do not let anyone touch the wheel of the car (and this includes valet) unless they are listed as a driver of the car.

You will be responsible for damages, no matter what.The rental co. (at check in) will want a copy of their DL. Then if it's free or a fee you are covered.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:36 PM

Well, I apologize if I misunderstood...thought the question was "doesn't our personal insurance cover us?"
Of course it would only have the potential to do that if you are listed as a legal driver of the rented car!

But...I'm glad to know some of you have found the fee negotiable...we will certainly ask for it to be waived...never hurts to ask! Belle.
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 06:58 PM

We recently rented with Enterprise and spouse was added at no charge.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 03:37 AM

Yes, some charge for the second driver even if it is the spouse. Most don't, in my experience. And yes, if that person is driving, he better be listed. Your credit card usually covers the CDW.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 04:06 AM

The irony of it all is that no matter who is driving, the renter is the one liable. That was made VERY clear to my party of 8, renting two Hertz cars. We were all AAA members, so all signed on for free, (what a ridiculous hassle that was) but we were told repeatedly that the original renter was the one they would come after in the event of an accident.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 04:40 AM

I've found variations among the rental companies. Be sure to ask. Many do not charge an additional fee for spouse or domestic partner. For our corporate rentals, other company personnel are covered.

Don't take changes. Ask and sign them up as an additional driver. If there is any chance they may drive, sign them up...and pay a fee if needed. I agree that this is not a time to sneak around. Too much at stake in case of an accident.
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 12:01 PM
tmt

There is a twist to even those rental car companies that USUALY do not charge a fee to add a spouse or domestic partner. Some local rental offices will charge you while others will not. National never charged me before, but the downtown Seattle location did...so I rented from Alamo which did not and the prices were similar.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -