rent to own florida coasts

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15th, 2014, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to buy in FL. Please give me some ideas prior to traveling there, I plan to be there mid-Sep travel plans are flexible. Rent to own ok and can stay as long as needed. The property for purchase will be used for a few years and should be a good investment if and when a re-sell is desired. Leaning towards Tampa/St Petersburg, Jacksonville beaches, but will have to spend time at each before deciding.

Open to either coast, must be close (within walking distance) to beach/es with good kayaking, walking beach/es, some swimmers/surfers in family, fishing optional. I have traveled to Pensacola and Sarasota, other areas strictly airport connections and hotels nearby, i.e., Miami, Tampa, Orlando.

Thank you for suggestions I can provide more details upon request and prefer responses for residents.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 07:49 AM

I think you may be 18 months too late for the kind of location you are looking for, though I suspect that "deals" in less attractive areas still exist.

The good stuff always comes back first, and though prices have not recovered everywhere to what they were in 2006-07, owners of good places have little incentive to do a rent to own. The best places are still expecting cash.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 09:24 AM

Could you give us some more details, e.g., your budget, number of bedrooms, are you thinking condo, do you plan to rent the property when you are not there? We have a 2/2 condo in Bonita Springs, which is north of Naples and very close to SW Florida International Airport.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 09:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As I sit here on the beach in Fort Lauderdale I am looking over to the two adjacent beachfront houses which are both for sale. One is going for 6.5 and the other for 7.5 MILLION.

Be aware of ALL the costs of owning property in Florida including possible flood insurance costs as well as the property tax rates and the high cost of hazard insurance. be also aware that if you use the place primarily for rentals then the value of the contents MAY also be subnject to additional taxes.

A general rule of thumb is your first year's property tax will be about 2% of the total purchase price since unlike some places, when a property goes through a sale in Florida it is re-assessed for tax purposes by the county. Homestead exemptions may not be available to you
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

SusanMargaret and others:

1. 2BR/2Bath, $250,000 or so, but under $300,000, condo my preference, for reasons previously listed, i.e. maintenance,etc.
patio home good choice as well, cost of living moderate, restaurants, grocery and public transport needed.

2. Probably
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

2.Sorry did not finish: Probably not needing to rent while away, will try to coordinate stays with family members, prefer gated community. No need for extras such as golf, workout center to keep prices down, but pool would be nice,

3.Nice friendly community, with mature adults, enjoy mingling happy hours, cocktails/wine on the beach stuff, no games bunch.

4.Have two sons each with children two boys 12 & 8; two girls 11 1/2 & 8 all love the water.

BTW any nice places in your area Naples/Bonita Springs in my price range needs? Thanks
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:02 AM

The public transport thing is going to be very, very difficult. I am most familiar with the St. Pete Beach/Clearwater area, and I can tell you that while bus service exists, it's slow, and the weather--often hot, often rainy, makes it a last resort option for most people. It shouldn't be hard to find a place within walking distance of both the beach and restaurants; grocery, tougher, but not impossible. Can you compromise on public transport?
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

taxi on occasion will work, is that available? I can also do JAX areas or W. Palm Beach, if those meet my budget...thank you!
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Cash purchase.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:30 AM

Helpful responses from you. Re the beach and access to it. Technically, there are few fully privately owned beaches in Florida. The major exceptions are some of those small islands you can buy, mainly in the Gulf Coast areas.

My point is that sometimes beach access can be an issue so if you do come down for a look around make certain about the nearest beach access from any property you might end up buying IF being close enough to the beach is a big issue.

I wish I could advise you further in terms of real estate prices but they vary from area to area obviously. If I have ended up providing too much "technical" information for you then I apologize and wish you the very best of luck in your search.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 10:48 AM

Sure, taxis are available. And the public transport situation may be different around JAX or West Palm, I don't know.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all for your posts. What small Islands should I be looking at? I can stay at a hotel for a couple nights, but sure would like to find a rental for a decent price while looking. If you have any ideas, other than extended stay, will like to check out.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

More on my search. I love music by the beach, Caribbean, rock, jazz...definitely no rap. Maybe one of the smaller Islands more my style....any ideas?
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 01:44 PM

Locomotor, if I thought you could afford one of those small islands such as the one recently listed in the NY Times for about 12 million dollars I would have said so. But since you have said you are in the 300,000 Dollar range I will depart from this enlightening (about you) thread and wish you the very very best.
Old Aug 15th, 2014, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

If we wanted to spend in the 12-15K range, would do Tahiti...for now will stick to the US and then go from there.