Rent a Miata in Miami?

Oct 9th, 2001, 08:44 AM
Swede

Rent a Miata in Miami?

Has anybody rented a Mazda Miata in Miami? If so, did you like the company you rented from and was the car in good shape? We're going there in January and would like to rent one of these fun machines for a few days.

Oct 9th, 2001, 11:25 AM
carexpert

Swede - Unless you are traveling without luggage, the Miata is way too small for driving on a trip... there is a high-end car rental store near South Beach that rents just about anything...why not grab a Porche, Jag, Mercedes or even a Lamborghini. They even have Hummers if you need more room. I can't think of the name right now, but perhaps one of our Miami friends can point you to the shop. have fun...

Oct 9th, 2001, 06:41 PM
Spicoli

Better check the rates before you get all excited, though.
Want to know what a one day rental is for a Ferrari? $2000 USD.
Bentley? $2500 USD.
Even a corvette is $389 a day.

Oct 10th, 2001, 05:46 AM
lena

Once you depart from the regular car rental agencies the prices are extravagent. A Miata doesn't seem worth it...maybe a Ferrari or Porsche..you can always rent a convertible sports car from the regular agencies. January is probably the only month you could drive with the top down. It's much too hot to go without AC in Miami. We had t-tops for years and only took them off in January in the morning and night. Our drivers are pretty reckless here so a bigger car would be safer. The Miata is adorable but it's little. Miami is more of an SUV, Lexus,Infiniti and BMW town.

Oct 10th, 2001, 06:38 AM
al

If all else fails try calling a Mazda dealer in the Miami area and asking them where to rent one. As a former Miata owner, it's a fantastic handling car and lots of fun to drive, but it has very little room for luggage. If it's a convertible you're primarily looking for, why not just go through Hertz, Avis or Alamo and rent a Mustang?

Oct 10th, 2001, 08:34 AM
Swede

The Mustang from the regular rental places is no fun since it's a rather big car with the small engine. Besides, it always says "Mustang or equivalent" which means I may end up with a Pontiac Sunfire or something equally boring. The Miata is close to the road, small, and therefore sportier than the underpowered Mustangs you can rent from Hertz and co.

As for the safety issue, we're heading to Key West right away so I'm not too worried about driving it around the big cars in Miami.

Thanks for the replies, I'll have to keep looking...

Oct 10th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Gail

This time last year we rented a mitsubishi eclipse from Alamo at the airport-(well, its off airport, but they shuttle you there) to drive to Key West. Again, small for luggage- we had two sets of golf clubs- but a fun car to drive!

Oct 10th, 2001, 09:27 AM
Suzie

Having a convertible does not prevent you from using the AC. We had it on the whole time in Kauai and it worked great. Warm wind in your hair cool wind everywhere else.

We had a Mustang and Swede is right. Totally gutless. But hey, it looked good!

Oct 10th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Larry

Swede: Take it from someone who lives in the Keys- there is almost nowhere down here where you will enjoy a powerful engine. There is basically only one road, the speed limit is mostly 45 mph, and the police are everywhere. If you want a Miata because it looks good, fine. But if you want a sporty car for the "performance" while vacationing in the Keys, I think you find much better things to do with that $.

Oct 10th, 2001, 06:08 PM
J

But the drive from Miami to the Keys (and back) would allow Swede the opportunity to enjoy a sportier engine, right? I'm with him. I spend way too much money on cars for the exact same reason. But it can be one of life's last great legal pleasures, enjoying a well crafted sports car.

Oct 11th, 2001, 02:54 AM
Beachbum

Everytime I've seen the title to this post, I think it would make a great Jimmy Buffet song......think I'll hum a few bars and wait for that wonderful salty breeze...........ahhhh

Oct 11th, 2001, 03:30 AM
Larry

J- the drive from Miami to the Keys is less than an hour. So Swede will be able to enjoy the Miata's sporty performance for approx. 1 hr and 45 minutes (there and back). Is that worth the extra $$$? Only Swede can decide.

Oct 11th, 2001, 04:14 AM
OliveOyl

I've got to echo the luggage concerns expressed above. I drive a BMW Z3 and know I couldn't fit a normal sized suitcase in my trunk. When we take trips, it's the "grown-up" car that goes.

And really, though fun to drive, with nice tight steering etc, these aren't exactly high performance machines roaring off the start!! LOL Despite the above, though, can't imagine a nicer drive than the highway through the keys with the top down, and yes maybe the air conditioner going!

Oct 11th, 2001, 05:10 AM
J T Kirk

Nearly everything's been said, but that won't stop me!!!
I like to drive. I like to drive fast. I like to drive sports cars. BUT I HATE to drive on the Interstates around Miami. To me, you need something big to deal with the nuts on the road down there. Just my own persoanl humble opinion, and I mean no disrespect to those who live in and around Miami.

Search this Thread