Reload this Page >

Renaissance Vinoy Resort, St.Pete,Florida

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:24 AM
Suzy

Has anyone stayed there? We were thinking of staying there in Feb with our 16 year old.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:39 AM
x

the Vinoy is in St.Petersburg not St Pete....it`s probably a good 20 ride to the beach..think a 16 yr old would be bored there...

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 08:57 AM
Lori

St. Pete is a generic name; St. Petersburg includes the downtown are where the Vinoy is located, and St. Pete Beach is on the coast. Downtown St. Petersburg has become revitalized in the last few years with the addition of a new entertainment-type complex called BayWalk. There are movie theaters, several restaurants, upscale shopping, and nightclubs. And this is certainly within walking distance of the Vinoy. Also, the Pier is within walking distance, as is a small municipal beach and public pool. The beaches on the Gulf are indeed about 20 minutes away. As a Florida native, though, I would like to mention that February is our coldest month.

In addition to BayWalk and the Pier, the downtown area has lots of boutique shops, varied dining options, and several great museums. My favorite is the Salvador Dali museum, which, I believe, contains the largest collection of Dali works. I visited this museum many times in my teens, and enjoyed it every time. While I have never stayed at the Vinoy, I have been inside, and found the public areas to be fabulous. The building was built sometime in the 1920s, and was meticulously restored during the 1980s, I think. I have lived in the Tampa Bay area my whole life (30 years), and grew up near St. Petersburg. The resurgence of the downtown area is wonderful, and I certainly think there would be plenty of things for you and your 16 yr old to do.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:07 AM
suzy

Lori, thanks for the reply. We usually go to Florida every Feb. to Englewood because of relatives but have yet to stay in the Tampa area. I know that it can be cooler but for us in Seattle it's great weather you have in Feb.
I posted an earlier question about Cruise ships out of St Pete, day or night trips or even a 3 day one. Thanks

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Lori

Suzy,

HA! I guess any weather we could have in February would be much more pleasant that Seattle's! I did want to mention that, though, because I can't imagine anyone could go swimming in the Gulf at that time.

As far as cruises go... I have very minimal knowledge. As far as I know, there is not a port in St. Pete near the Vinoy. However, there is a marina (or a yacht club?) and they may be able to direct you to some type of cruise departing from the downtown area. In Treasure Island, there are at least two day cruises. However, I am sorry to say I don't know their names. I have been on the one that docks opposite of John's Pass (one docks there as well), and enjoyed it. However, the boat was old and there wasn't much to do. A meal was included, and there was lots of gambling. On the deck upstairs was a band playing oldies. I don't know the cost, as my company paid for the trip as a perk. In Clearwater, there are also at least two day cruises as well, although one is the same line as the one I went on with my company. I think downtown Tampa has a dinner or lunch cruise. Finally, the port in Tampa docks several cruise ships. Carnival seems to be there a lot, with 4+ day cruises.

I hope this vague info gives you something to go on.... if I can be of any further help, please email me at the above address.

Old Jul 30th, 2002, 09:26 AM
Suzy

Lori, I found a web sight and you do have large cruise ships that go out of your area. Holland American and Carnival for 5,7,10,14 day trips. Thanks alot for responding