Relocating to South Florida

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 10:52 AM
Cheryl

Relocating to South Florida

Hi. Would love to get some feed back on a good cities between Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. We heard west is the best. Any comments appreciated.

Thanks

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 10:00 AM
dottie

If you're fond of ocean, living west may be frustrating. Not knowing economics or who's moving, can only tell you that I think area south of downtown Miami is "realler" to live in: Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, Pinecrest. If you want to respond with more particulars about your move, I'd be glad to throw in my two cents' worth.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 11:28 AM
AMS

Florida is still unsafe and unless you are relocating for employment reasons I would recommend you look at other areas. The recent Veterans Day killings in the South Florida Aventura Mall on Nov. 11, 1999 proves my point. The media protrayed this as a domestic violence episode but I strongly believe this was mafia related. These acts of violence and destruction are a daily routine in South Florida which the media desparately attempts to cover-up. The streets are quite unsafe where there have been several tourist slayings over the past several years. Also, there was an recent assassination of a famous designer in front of his South Beach Miami home which may have been mob related. Also, there are serious health concerns in South Florida stemming from overcrowding, air pollution and an AIDS epidemic that is out of control. The problems in Tampa, Fl. are even worse. Until something is done about the state-wide corruption that has set in, my recommendation to you is steer clear of Florida if at all possible.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 12:29 PM
susan

Oh for heaven's sake!! I know it's useless to try and change a conspiracy theorist's mind, but I'd be remiss in not mentioning that south Florida is no more or less safe than any other region. I agree that Miami can be dicey if you aren't familiar with the city but so what? The same may be true for any city in the United States. And this is certainly the first I've heard that Versace's murderer was connected to the mafia. I suppose law enforcement just failed to investigate that angle. As for the tourist murders, most took place in the early 90s when rental cars leaving the airport were clearly marked as rentals and were therefore magnets for folks who wanted to prey on tourists. Several years ago, however, the rental companies ceased using marked cars and there've been no further problems with tourists.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 04:03 PM
AMS

This is in reply to Susan's message. You forgot to make reference to the Florida Aventura Shopping Mall killings ocurring this past Thursday on Veterans Day. Did the victums in that episode also have marked rental cars? Lets stop putting the blame on rental car companies. The tourist killings have occurred much more recently than you depicted in your message. Furthermore, the victimized tourists did not have rental cars. If they did they would not be walking on the streets.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 06:35 PM
susan

I think all of us on this forum would be interested in your verifiable statistical information. Please be specific in quoting your source for the crime statistics. And while you're at it, I'd love to know how you conjured up the mafia connection to Versace's murder, which was VERY well investigated and reported.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 07:13 PM
AMS

This is in reply to Susan, the preceding message. The string of Florida tourist killings and beatings are substantially more recent than Melinda indicated and, therefore, can still be characterized as ongoing. Just visit your local library and look up the microfilm of major newspapers for verification. As far as Versace's murder is concerned, we simply cannot always accept at face value what the Police tell us. There are times when the police make implausible and contradictory statements and if we accept them as true we are the victums. There are several published books detailing mob corruption into law enforcement. One such book is "Tin for Sale" which is currently out of print. With respect to Versace you have to look at motives and due to Versace's tremendous wealth and influence its hard to accept the notion that his murder was simply the workings of an isolated prankster.

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 04:53 AM
susan

Isolated prankster???? You apparently don't remember that Versace was murdered by a serial killer who had been the object of a nationwide manhunt for months.

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 10:19 AM
AMS

This is in reply to Susan, the preceding massage.
I think you and I can both agree that serial killers do not kill notables such as a Versace due to the liklihood they might get caught. Serial killers target individuals who do not have public visibility. I'm glad you mentioned the fact that the killer was deemed to be a serial killer because now I am even more convinced that other factors were at play. The rational explanation for a serial killer targeting a notable is that there was some go-between that had coerced the serial killer to kill Versace in return for some favor such as escape out of the Country. The most likely go-between would have been a member of the underworld though it is plausible that some other hidden sinister organization or persons wanted Versace killed.

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 10:50 AM
noname

Susan, drop it,let it go!