Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

New Orleans & San Antonio. What to do? Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 1999, 01:12 PM
Helma

I'm driving with my mother and sisters from Florida to California in Jan/2000. It's their first visit to the US (Jan 2000) and San Antonio/TX and New Orleans/LA are some of the cities I don't want them to miss. I would really appreciate any tips on places to stay and things to see/do!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 11:47 AM
cherie

Just came back from San Antonio. The "hot" place to roam is "The Riverwalk". There's dozens of restaurants to choose from there as well as a shopping center. Ther entire area is well-patrolled by police on foot and by boat! The urban-renewal is what many other cities could learn from...the area was delightful. Another area there I'd refer you to is the Alamo. We stayed at the Crockett (it was fine) and it overlooked the Alamo. The Alamo as lovely grounds, the most beautiful old oak tree and lovely cactus (in bloom when I was there last week) as well as quite a history. Within a few blocks of the Alamo are terrific antique shops (check the phone book/hotel guide) as well as a museum devoted to hunting, with stuffed game of every sort (not popular these days), however, a bit of Texabilia! Its called "The Buckhorn"....its a hoot. If they're up for real Americana Cowboy Stuff, they could have their concierge arrange for them to go to a rodeo as there are professional arenas within close range by freeway, and San Antonio has professional rodeo folks. There's a British Pub or two on the Riverwalk if they miss home! Every hotel chain in America seems to be represented on Riverwalk, too. A clean, nice town, I'd say.

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 12:26 PM
margaret

I'm sure your planning on going to the French Quarter in New Orleans. A swamp tour might be fun and interesting or you could try one of the haunted tours of the Quarter. I heard you can ride the trolly through the Garden District for a couple of dollars, you would have to check on that. I stayed at the Omni in the French Quarter. It was nice and it was in a a great location. I would stay there again.

Old Nov 11th, 1999, 06:18 PM
susan

how long do you have to make this trip? It's about a 10 hour trip between New Orleans and San Antonio...

Old Nov 12th, 1999, 05:52 AM
Christie

A rodeo might be difficult to find in January, as this is traditionally the "off season" for rodeos. They usually take place in the spring and summer when the weather is better.

If you have time, do a tour of the Mission Trail around San Antonio. The Alamo is only one of the historic missions, and they are all unique and beautiful.

If you can, stay downtown on or close to the Riverwalk. There are lots of hotels down there, although they do tend to be a bit expensive. If not, then any of the regular chain hotels should be fine.

Old Nov 13th, 1999, 11:06 AM
arjay

You will be showing your family two outstanding American cities - very different from one another, and different from anything else in the US. The French Quarter is a wonderful place to stroll/explore....and eat!! And I don't think another city can claim as wonderfully reclaimed an area as San Antonio's Riverwalk. Be sure to take one of the boat rides - you can do a dinner-on-the-boat, or just a boat ride. What fun you will have - enjoy!

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 05:01 PM
Helma

Thanks a lot everyone! This is by far my favorite travel forum.
I've been researching the net for places to stay and came up with some really nice B&B. I think that the B&Bs are a great way to experience new places as well different cultures. Any suggestions? Would we be better of in a regular hotel?

Old Nov 14th, 1999, 05:03 PM
Helma

Thanks a lot everyone! This is by far my favorite travel forum.
I've been researching the net for places to stay and came up with some really nice B&B. I think that the B&Bs are a great way to experience new places as well different cultures. Any suggestions? Would we be better of in a regular hotel?