Reload this Page >

Relocating to Arkansas

Search

Relocating to Arkansas

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 01:03 PM
collegeworker

Relocating to Arkansas

My husband is set on moving to the Clarksville, Arkansas area. I'm not sure I want to. I have visited the area, but there does not seem to be a lot to offer in way of jobs, etc. Does anyone have any pros or cons to offer on this area? Thanks!

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 01:44 PM
yyy

Please accept my sincere condolences.

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 01:46 PM
bob

What is the attraction of Clarksville for your husband? And where are you now? Does he already have a job already lined up there? Otherwise, why is he considering it?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 02:56 PM
why

Why on earth would anyone want to move to this state? Are you retired? What kind of work does your husband do?

Old Oct 28th, 2002, 03:14 PM
ahha

and you are your husband's sister too?

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:33 PM
pcw

I hope all the other responses were not from locals! I have lived in Arkansas my entire life but have travelled extensively. Arkansas is a lovely state with many assets. Just depends on what you are looking for and what you are used to. PROS: Located in a very scenic part of the state. Close proximity to lakes, Buffalo and Mulberry Rivers for whitewater, lots of hiking, camping and every type of outdoor activity. Temperate climate, Friendly people. Relatively low cost of living. Located about 1/2way between Little Rock and Fayetteville or Ft. Smith for a taste of small city life. CONS: rural setting, if you're a city girl you may not be happy. Not sure about job market much will depend on you and your qualifications there are opportunities for good jobs. Do you have kids? I think you will find decent schools. Hope this helps.

Old Oct 31st, 2002, 12:44 PM
Admiral

A neat thing about living in Arkansas is that you are really close to the cultural and entertainment attractions of Mississippi!

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 06:59 AM
prudence

My folks retired to Mountain Home area twenty years ago from Chicago. This town of 10.000 has drawn over 3,000 Chicago retirees. It has extremely affordable housing, clean, pure air, mild climate except for the occasional winter ice storms where nothing moves, absolutely gorgeous scenery if you are careful to purchase a home on a bluff (my folks are 800 ft up and face hundreds of miles of undulating shoreline and a series of low rise mountains outside their front window.) Property taxes are almost non-existent. Downside: pockets of low income, poorly educated wage earners live in small shacks with lots of debris piled outside, fishing is THE sport, hottest, most humid summers outside of the rainforest, lack of ethnic restaurants, lack of dept. stores. Folks drive 2 hours to a major city for big time shopping. If you are ready to slow down in life it is for you. If not choose a college town or town near a city. I know of a 30 year old stockbroker who opened a craft shop for a change of pace in Mountain Home and ended up fleeing the area back to the city because of sheer boredom.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Jim

I was in Little Rock years ago and was surprised by the number of gangs they had! I mean LA and NYC category gangs.
Eureeka Springs was beautiful. Theres good and bad everywhere and I imagine Arkansas is no exception. Not long ago it was the poorest state in the union, but those statistics change frequently.
Overall I'd say it looked a lot like West Virginia espescially the northern part of the state. I dont think I passed through Clarksville, but I "think" its one of the bigger towns there.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 09:13 AM
ryan

I've been to Northwest Arkansas several times. As a lifelong NYC resident, I expected the worst, prior to my first visit. I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised at the natural beauty of the area. Personally, I couldn't live there, but I can see the attraction for someone who enjoys the outdoor life.

In terms of employment, the big three employers, at least in and around the Fayetville area, are Wal-Mart, Tyson Chicken and JB Hunt trucking.

In terms of the schools, I've heard mixed things from my business contacts who live there. Several who moved there from elsewhere, have complained about the public education system and have chosen to send their kids to private school. In terms of national rankings, I believe that Arkansas sits near the bottom in terms of education quality.

Old Dec 7th, 2002, 11:28 AM
Harry

Arkansas--Arkansas????
You must be kidding!!! Be sure there is a good airport close by so you can fly out of there every other weekend!!!!!

Old Feb 11th, 2003, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's a great place to move to if you have cancer. Every day seems like an eternity.