Reliable local restaurant chains

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 11:04 AM
Laura

Reliable local restaurant chains

The current thread on fast food chains got me thinking. Sometimes when I visit a new city, I'll see a restaurant or fast food place that seems common in that town, but that I've never heard of. I always wonder whether those places are worth a try. I'll bet some are outstanding.

Are there any common local food chains where you live that a visitor might enjoy?

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 11:05 AM
kam

Piatti and Il Fornaio in the Bay area.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 12:55 PM
Owen O'Neill

My former home of Syracuse NY has two that come to mind - Doug's Fish Fry has three locations - fast service (strictly counter service), top shelf food, very consistent and reasonably priced. Hoffman's Hot Haus has two locations - they serve hotdogs and coneys (white hots) manufactured in their own factory. The hotdogs and coneys are legendary throughout central NY state - it's only in the past few years that they opened their own restaurants. Although they only have two locations, one in Syracuse and one in Rochester, Dinosaur Barbecue also deserves a mention. Good barbeque and great fun atmosphere with live blues music most nights.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 01:08 PM
Kristi

Pit Boss BBQ on the west coast of Florida. They've got 4 or 5 locations stretching from Palm Harbor to Spring Hill. Their shredded pork platter and bbq beans are the best I've ever had.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 01:28 PM
Barbara

In San Diego, we have Pat & Oscar's (chicken,ribs, salad, pizza, fabulous bradsticks) the Fish Market(throughout California), Rubio's Fish Tacos (began here and has spread) and California Pizza Kitchen (now all over the place).

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Christie

In Dallas, the local chain BBQ places are quite good: Dickey's, Spring Creek and Sonny Bryan's.

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 03:28 PM
jhm

In NY, we have Saigon Grill (Vietnamese food), Haru (terrific sushi), and this little coffee place I know called Starbucks. : )

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 09:21 PM
BTilke

Il Fornaio is in Portland, OR, as well. In Portland, we like the Elmer's chain for breakfast or lunch--very good price value and great breakfasts; also the McMenamin's Pubs; their food is mediocre and the service can be scattered; but the beer is good and so is their terrific organic NA apple cider. Plus they all have an individual look--our favorite is the High Street Cafe in Eugene.
In the Orlando, FL, area, we love Sonny's for ribs. Delicious and cheap.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 06:55 AM
arjay

In the Charleston SC area, we ran across Stickyfingers...a barbque place...there are at least two of them. Ribs were EXcellent! (And they offer them with a dry rub, my spouse's preference, which most places don't seem to do).

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 07:55 AM
RButler

Haven't been there in awhile, but Atlanta has a chain of "El Toro" restaurants that have outrageously good Mexican for very little money. Anybody out there eat at one lately? Is it still good? Is the original on Buford Hwy. still there?

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 08:29 AM
randy

My hometown is Buffalo and while all of you just think of us for snow, we have lots of great things, including food. Ted's Hot Dogs (great char-grilled dogs, burgers, fantastic onion rings); Mighty Taco (our version of Taco Belle, but cheap and excellent for fast food-even baked, not fried shells for taco salads), Anderson's (frozen custard and our famous Beef on Wick sandwiches). These are just fast food type places, and we have some wonderful fine dining as well.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 10:49 AM
Dana

I ate at an El Toro on Roswell Road in Sandy Springs a couple of weeks ago--pretty darn good!

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 10:54 AM
Polly

Savannah, Ga has 'Carey Hilliards.' Good, reasonably priced seafood and bar-b-que as well as the most fantastic Brunswick Stew in the South. No gourmet food here. Just plain good cookin'.

Old Jun 29th, 2001, 11:26 AM
RButler

YEAH! Carey Hilliards is great...good pick, Polly.