Rehoboth Beach/Southern DE

Mar 8th, 2001, 02:09 PM
Nick

Rehoboth Beach/Southern DE

I will be flying to Balimore in a few weeks and renting a car for a weekend and would like to visit Annapolis, and Wilimington, DE. On my way from Annapolis to Wilimington, do you all think it would be worth it to take a detour and see Rehoboth Beach, DE and those southern Delaware beaches? Are they special or just a waste of time?
Nick

Mar 8th, 2001, 02:55 PM
Howard

Rehobeth Beach is fine for a relaxing summer vacation, but why would you go there in the spring?

Mar 9th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Chris

Definitely visit Annapolis. I would only go to Rehoboth in the Spring if you wanted to take advantage of outlet mall shopping (no sales tax). Otherwise, it's definitely a wonderful town for a summer beach stay, but not a place to "see."

Mar 9th, 2001, 06:01 AM
Vic

I agree with above. Nice little vacation beach town but not worth a detour.

Mar 9th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Edye

They are all correct - don't bother unless it's a great beach day!

Mar 9th, 2001, 02:37 PM
lisa

And why Wilmington?
They have great shows at River Arts stadium, I know the Faberge show ended there in February and I 'm not sure what the next one is. Or when it starts. Downtown Wilmington is not terribly exciting. I apologise to any residents from Wilmington and if I am wrong, I don't mind being corrected.
There are some interesting places in the Brandywine area (Pennsylvania and Delaware areas)such as Winterthur and Longwood Gardens, Brandywine battlefield, Brandywine art museum showcasing the Wyeths amongst others.

Also Baltimore directly to Rehoboth is at least 2 hours and quite a detour from Annapolis.

Mar 9th, 2001, 06:19 PM
Al

As a resident of northern Delaware, I can recommend Hagley Museum, Winterthur Museum, the riverfront area and if you want to see something really unique, try Assateague Island. Located just south of Delaware, it's one of the nicest beaches on the east coast. The wild ponies are fantastic as is the other wildlife. Also, don't forget downtown Philadelphia which is very rich in history and a must see for anyone visiting the local area. Philly (as we folks here refer to it) is only a 40 minute ride from Wilmington. Enjoy!

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:38 PM
E. Sandorf

Rehoboth Beach, DE is a nice, quick summer getaway, and can be inexpensive too. I would not recommend it for the wintertime, spring or fall really though.

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:43 PM
where

I have to ask this question: Are you from the Midwest? Land-locked people, I know, have a fascination with seeing the beach (any beach), so maybe that's why you're thinking of Rehobeth. If so, go. But be aware that the beaches in Del. are nice, but not breathtaking. No Big Sur there.

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:46 PM
Thadeous

If it's open, the BackPorch Cafe on Rehobeth Avenue, one block from the boardwalk, is the place to eat. Avoid any place with Happy in the name, like Happy Crab, or any place except George's offering hand-cut fries. They may or may not be open - it's a bit early yet.

Mar 12th, 2002, 01:33 PM
amy

My favorite time to visit Rehoboth is in the off-season, when the traffic is light and the weather is moderate. The beaches are deserted (great for walking), and they have great restaurants and bars that stay open year round. A group of us usually gather at a friend's house and have a wonderful time having the town practically to ourselves. Now I don't like going in season, when the traffic and crowds are there!

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:46 PM
Carol

Hi Nick -

You mentioned Annapolis, may I suggest stopping in St. Michaels. It is so beautiful and quaint any time of the year. There is so much to do. Have a safe trip.

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:34 PM
New Englander

I second Assateage - it's an absolutely lovely long stretch of protected,natural beachfront, teaming with wildlife as opposed to people, esp. in the spring.

Mar 13th, 2002, 07:54 AM
shaggy

Al and Lisa are correct. Try the Brandywine Vally/Chaddsford area. Philly also. I live in New Castle and Work in Wilmington--there's nothing to do downtown. Assateague (sp) is very nice also, although I never did get to see the ponies when I visited.

BTW I'm reading the Local paper right now and see the FUSA Riverfront Arts Center is now having "treasures from the National Marine Museum in Paris".