Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Kauai condos - has anyone rented directly from the owner? Through www.vrbo.com?

Mar 10th, 2002, 08:44 AM
Iza

I have seen several nice looking condos for rent by owner advertised on this large website www.vrbo.com. I am a bit hesitant to rent directly from an owner that is not on the island and unavailable to respond in case there are any issues. I am also worried that we may get there and maybe the place is a dump or maybe we pay upfront and there is another family still there...
Please share any experiences, good or bad, you had with renting from directly from condo/house owners.

Mar 10th, 2002, 11:02 AM
Jackie

We have rented twice so far directly from owners, FL and Grand Cayman, and have two more reservations for FL and Maui. You can contact vrbo via email and find out how long a particular property has been on their site and if there were ever any problems or complaints. If the property has been listed for a while with no problems, it's probably OK. vrbo doesn't want any misrepresentations or scams either. It's not good for business

We had great experiences doing this. The condos were just as they appeared in the photos (would not rent without photos) and we were very pleased. It's such a savings, sometimes as much as $200/nt. that this is our preferred way of traveling now. I always call first to personally speak to the owner and then the rest is done through email. I believe that some of the properties may be on the site through agents and I don't think I would use those properties.

Both owners were very anxious for our comments on return. One sent us a check for $100 because housekeeping had not checked the place before our arrival. It was cleaned but obviously hadn't been touched up in a while. This $ was unsolicited by us. The other owner will knock $100 off a return trip because our weather was bad!

We gave had very good experiences.

Mar 11th, 2002, 01:23 PM
joan

Ditto what Jackie has said! We've rented several times via www.vacationspot.com. One thing bears repeating: Call and speak with the owner. The "vibe" you get over the phone is essential!

Mar 11th, 2002, 01:24 PM
joan

Sorry - we've rented in the Caribbean, Bahamas and North Carolina, not Kauai - YET!

Mar 12th, 2002, 12:32 PM
John

We've had grat experiences, both on Maui and Kauai. Would do it again in a heartbeat. But I agree, we always phone the owner beforehand.

Mar 12th, 2002, 02:17 PM
Jessy

I agree with listening to their vibe over the phone. I ignored this last year and had a poor experience. That was an agency on Oahu though, so stupid they treated me like I was making my one and only trip to Oahu. I am on one or two of those islands every year and I send people. Great experience on North Shore of Kauai. Won't share any more as I was unable to find space at one property having mentioned it here umteen times. At least that is what I think happened.

It's always a risk lza but just remember most (I would think)want your return business. Private owners I would think would be very reliant on word of mouth more so than an agency.

Did you get your airline tickets yet? United cancelled a direct flight from LAX to LIH at 1:20 if you were looking. I am waiting for a drop. Don't know if this is a good or bad sign.

Mar 12th, 2002, 06:25 PM
jack

A close friend rented two condos in Maui last summer. The owners failed to mention that one was located near the restaurant (trucks unloading at 6:00 a.m.), and the other condo has some pesty bugs flying around the entire time. There is not anywhere to move when you rent from the owner, as opposed to an entire unit.

Mar 13th, 2002, 09:10 AM
Paige

We've rented thru VRBO.com twice in Colorado. The first time I was pretty leary too. I knew the complex the condo was in so that helped and I called to verify that these people owned the unit. Everything turned out fine. My sister-in-law has rented this same unit each year for the past three years and the owners give her a bigger discount everytime for repeat business. We are off to our second VRBO rental this Friday. I actually drove by the house when I was in Colorado this summer so I knew exactly where it was and what it looked like before I booked. Once you find a condo you are interested in try posting that project name on this website to see if anyone stayed there and can give you insite. I also think calling the owners is helpful and makes it more personal. For the house we are renting this week the owner has supplied us with the names and numbers of the local couple that are his caretakers if there are any problems, as well as giving us his cell phone number.