Regret-filled recommendations??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever made a rave-filled recommendation for hotel, restaurant, etc, that you later regretted, when the person returned from their trip and told you that the meal was awful, the hotel room was filthy, etc? Even if you make the recommendatin with the best intentions in the world, you feel kind of responsible.
In my case, I recommended a hotel in Istanbul from which my friends had all their belongings stolen. And i was just telling Kal, i recomended a hotel-twice--even aftte the first person told me they were coveed with bedbug bites. i thought it was a fluke, ignoed their comments, and recommended it again--only to hear the same thing!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:33 AM
GoTravel

Yes. I recommended The Captain's Quarters in Lauderdale By The Sea to BuffaloGirl and she ended up having to switch rooms several times due to poor service by the manager. I am embarrassed.

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:33 AM

You can't be faulted. Ownership/management of hotels and restaurants change all the time.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:41 AM
GoTravel

vespertine, it was the same manager. I didn't realize that they gave new customers the worst rooms. Aack.

Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:46 AM

That's too bad. Sometimes you wonder if it's even worth it; like recommending a movie you love and your friends thinking it blows.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Yes, but when people come back and tell you how much they LOVED a place you recommended, it feels so good!!!!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:02 AM

I recommended the Union Square Cafe to my mother and cousin and they were treated terribly! The maitre d' ignored them, then would not allow them to sit at the bar while they waited for their table (they had a reservation but the restaurant was running late). He claimed the bar seats were for diners as well. I was so disappointed because I had a fantastic meal there and will venture to say that it was one of the top 3 meals I've ever had. My mother, cousin and I are going to NYC this May and they will not go to any Danny Meyer owned restaurant because of their experience
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:09 AM

Yes, last experience was when I was asked by a friend for a SF restaurant recommendation. Gave them three. They picked out one of them.

I listened to complaints for weeks. The problem? Evidently they like quanity or quality. quot;>

But a point of interest is that some recommendations I have made here on Fodors has turned out well. That always makes one feel happy. Maybe people that write into Fodors do a better decsription as to what they are looking for.

Learned my lesson again. Guess in future when I am asked I will have to do the third degree as to what friends want. Or just say "I don't really know", LOL.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:13 AM

I know how they felt at Union Square. It's my one complaint there. I've been there three times, they've never been able to provide me with our reserved table at the proper time, and we've always had to stand behind the bar and have a drink and wait -- feeling like we were in the way of waiters and other guests. I wish if they couldn't provide tables on time, they could at least provide a comfortable place to have a drink and wait. The bar was totally filled with diners.

I've been lucky with my recommendations I guess. And have gotten many thank yous and comments back agreeing. I can't think off hand of anywhere I've recommended that got me a "I hated that place".
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:17 AM

Calinurse: I wouldn't feel the least bit responsible if the belongings were stolen from a hotel I had recommended if my recommendation was based on my personal experiences, if I had not heard of any such negative experiences by others, and if I had no reason to suspect that security might be a particular issue.

With regard to the bug bites, you did have information that made you suspect it might be an issue yet you didn't pass it along. Had you done so along with your positive impression, and if your friend still decided to give it a try, you would have no responsibility for your friend's dissatisfaction.

kcapuani, I wonder if you can turn your mother's and cousin's restaurant experience into a real positive. You know the restaurant is capable of giving superb service because you've already experienced it. You might want to consider choosing a Danny Meyer restaurant and calling its maitre d'. Explain that you've had really terrific service but also explain your mother's and cousin's experience, that the only way you can convince them to give the restaurant a second try is with the maitre d's assurance that you will get special service. If you get a satisfactory response, make arrangements with the maitre d' to expect your call the day of your reservation as a reminder that you are expecting devoted attention to your dinner party. Once you've done that, my bet is that you'll more predictably get top notch service from that restaurant than a restaurant you've never been to.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:17 AM

I find the same true w/tour books. When I was in DC a month ago, we read that this pizza place was the best in town. It wasn't all that great. Sometimes it's just high expectations that ruin it (again, like when everyone tells you how great a movie is, it's bound to be a letdown). Sometimes you wonder what the hell happened.

I recommended a Oahu hotel once to a co-worker. She came home early (paid over 1000.00 to do so) saying that Honolulu was like Detroit with palm trees. Never heard that one before, but then again, this woman would prefer Epcot over Europe!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Liking or disliking a restaurant or hotel is a very subjective thing. What I like may not be what you like. The best we can do is relay the experience we had at a particular place and the recipient of the advice needs to decide for themselves whether it is something that may interest them.

Of course, on occasion a highly regarded restaurant will have an off night but that is beyond anyone's control.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 01:00 PM
jor

CaliNurse, I think your mistake was recommending a hotel a second time after the first couple told you they were covered with bed bug bites. The second time you recommended it you should have told them about the bed bugs the first couple told you about so they could make their own dicision about whether it was a fluke.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 01:08 PM
jor

BTW, I got bed bug bites in a hotel in Alaska. Just looking at the trails of bites up and down my body gave me the creeps about what went on that night.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 01:38 PM

Pretty Good: HON is Detroit with Palm Trees!!
M
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 01:39 PM
JJ5

My experience is that I need to know the people themselves. Really know them and their likes/dislikes. And then I will recommend.

Because then I feel like I am recommending something that mights have a pleasant outcome. There are people who have asked me, like my brother, many questions about what, where, how and I DON'T recommend. Because we don't like the same things. Restaurants especially are very subjective to the person's eating habits. And many of my friends have very varying likes in food, surroundings, budget levels.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 01:44 PM

Yea, I guess a lot of people get Honolulu and Detroit mixed up. What?

I did think of one thing. I had friends who had never been to Europe. I convinced them NOT to do a tour and helped them endlessly plan themselves for a trip to Rome, Venice, and Paris. They hated it! They were nervous wrecks the whole time and were just very uncomfortable. Since then they have taken package tours and they are happy as clams. Talk about NOT knowing your friends!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 02:10 PM

Thanks MikeBuckley. I will suggest this plan delicately because my cousin did send a letter and no one ever wrote back. But I'd love to go back so I will give it a try!
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Kal

Cali-
It's obvious that your friend's don't say the magic words "...and don't let the bed bugs bite!!!"

I like to tell the story about the guy in our rental car van in Honolulu telling us that "other than an ocean, there's nothing here we don't have in Wisconsin".

I had a relative try and compare us going to visit them up in Klamath Falls, OR rather than "spending all that money" in Kauai.
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 07:39 PM

Who has not had such an experience? Nowhere is everything always consistent. This certainly cannot be the first time this has happened to you, can it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -