Search

Registry - Naples

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2002, 08:05 PM
ab

Registry - Naples

From looking at the websites the Registry looks like a much nicer place to spend than the Edgewater. I'm not going to cook or use the kitchen in the Edgewater, although the suite for the same price is a good deal. The pool area at The Registry looks like a nicer place to hang out. My family will be hanging out for 2 days while I'm working.

? Does the Registry look as nice as the website? The reservation folks won't give me a straight answer about renovations. They only said that if they are renovating they would be notified to tell customers and they haven't been told anything.

Any recent feedback? The fodors rating has last year entries about the rooms being outdated.

I'm going in two weeks

Old Aug 9th, 2002, 01:04 PM
Judy Fernyhough

Both are really nice but quite different.
The Edgewater is a lot smaller and more intimate, with just an average pool, but it is right on a fantastic beach and the beachfront rooms in particular are wonderful. The Registry is a much larger resort with several pools, one of them really fun with a beach entrance and slide. There are more amenities here than at the Edgewater. The beach is a short tram ride or 15 min walk throgh a shady mangrove forest. This beach is very beautiful too. The rooms are being renovated but I don't think you will be able to hear anything. Ask for a renovated room if possible. The staff are excellent.

Old Aug 11th, 2002, 09:41 PM
ab

Be careful with reservations. They have on-site and off-site reservations and they don't communicate or have access to each others information. I was told one cancellation deadline by off-site but when I called the hotel they said they were closed and to call today. Today was too late to cancel, even though Diane told me I had until Sunday noon. The lady today, who claims to be the only person working on Sunday for three properties, insisted that
"it was not possible, no refund," over and over. With an occassional, is there anything else I can do for you?

"it was NOT possible" that Diane made a mistake and I was stuck with 2 nights at the hotel, even though I have 4 nights at their sister property.

Finally I called the hotel directly and they cancelled the reservation.

Be careful with off-site reservations.

It was going to be a very expensive weekend.

I decided to go with the Edgewater since the Registry is just about to start the room renovations. (so they must be pretty run down by now) and the .6 miles of mangrove between the hotel and the beach sounds terrible. I have enough mosquitoes around here...

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:32 AM
OO

ab, there isn't 6 miles of mangroves between the hotel and the beach!! Where did that figure come from? We've stayed at the Registry and loved it. It's an elegant hotel, truly first class. They have a bit of an attitude perhaps, but that is the only thing negative I could say about it. We walked the boardwalk to the beach, and I doubt it took us 15 minutes--plus it's a pretty walk and the beach is lovely! Sorry to hear you had such a hassle with your cancellation, but sorrier still you won't be staying there.

Renovations in exceptional hotels like the Registry are done well before things are looking threadbare or dated. The Registry goes head to head with the Ritz Carlton, the two best hotels in that area, and both must stay on top of things. My husband's hotel is about to start a renovation this fall. It does go in blocks, with a floor being taken out at a time thus not disruptive to the guests. Our rooms look fine now, however, not worn, but will be spectacular when finished. Our last one was done 4 years ago, which shows how frequently better hotels are renovated.

Old Aug 12th, 2002, 04:41 AM
OO

Oops! I see now you said *point* 6 miles, not 6 miles. LOL Guess it's time to clean these contacts. Truly it wasn't a problem. Mangroves are protected and cannot be cut, so all the newer hotels will have them...Ritz, Registry, but they are nesting grounds for the shore birds so you'll see blue heron, roseate spoonbills, egrets, ibis, wood storks etc as you go along. The walk truly is not a problem.

Anyway...sorry for missing your decimal point. I'll go clean my lenses now. gt;

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 10:16 PM
ab

Went to the Registry for a day, although we stayed at the sister hotel, Edgewater. The pool wasn't as grand as the photos/ brochures depicted but it was fun for the kids. The hotel lobby was nicer that I imagined from people's comments. It looked like a fun hotel to stay at.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 01:31 PM
scott

Quick answer: stay at the Registry. The Ritz is too formal for families. The Edgewater is smaller and not as upscale.
The Registry has a tower and suites located within a short walk of the tower. I have stayed in the suites both time I went there. It is a pretty and well maintained hotel with a nice pool. It is not on the Gulf but there is a free golf cart-like shuttle that takes you there through the mangroves on a boardwalk. Stay there in a suite for a few dollars more.

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:36 PM
Andy

Ab-- I have stayed at the Ritz Carlton Naples-Vanderbilt Beach and at the Registry== I LOVE them both--

Old Aug 23rd, 2002, 06:45 PM
Andy

AB--hit the button before I was finished-

WHat I was saying is THE RITZ is traditional elegant with high tea-KIDS ARE there- it depends on the time of the year you are there-- If it is in the summer,YES-LOTS of KIDs and YES_steps from the beach and the BEST pool in NAPLES, IMHO. Rooms are on the small side( even the 1 bed suites) but are furnished beautifully.....

REGISTRY is a CONTEMPORARY ELEGANT hotel-with HUGE rooms-ALL of which have a view of the GULF-Stay on floors 5 or above. The Lobby is contemporary and marble and crystal....The Fancy Restaurant ( I forgot the name) in the Registry is to die for--we ate there 2 times in the 10 days we were down===they have the BEST RACK of LAMB.
Ok- Negatives--pool is SMALL and depending on the season , can run out of lounge chairs , but the pool is gorgeous with a STONE MOUNTAIN Waterfall...There is a jitney to take you to the beach- ( a 5 min ride) or 10 min walk (depending on how fast you walk)....NO Problem at all....

Staff snooty--no no no---at both hotels-
These hotels are used to a standard of elegance that they give to their guests...the Concierges at BOTH hotels are terrific.......

If you have to choose between the Edgewater and the Registry, definitely go with the REGISTRY!!! I have stayed there many times and YES,the website does look like the hotel.....

CALL the 800 number for reservations....
Don't book ONLINE---