The Breakers palm Beach: Is it worth the $

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Isabella

The Breakers palm Beach: Is it worth the $

My husband and I are looking to get away for a long weekend. The Breakers looks beautiful and gets great reviews on fodors rants and raves. Has anyone stayed here as of late?
Thanks for your help.

Old Jan 28th, 2003, 06:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Travel Channel called it THE BEST beach resort.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:10 AM

Travel channel also featured it on Great Hotels--made me want to go!
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 06:29 AM

I was surprised just yesterday to see a full page ad and picture in Travel and Leisure for The Breakers. I haven't seen it in quite a while, but it was always so stately and grand sitting back from the beach. In the picture it is apparent that now the old hotel is blocked from the beach by a huge block of rooms which have been built on. I'm sure they have done a great job, in fact the rooms are probably much nicer and more comfortable than the ones in the old hotel. I was just shocked to see that the beautiful old hotel now looks like a giant Marriott from the beach.
As a side note, the old Breakers was the architectural "inspiration" for the Ritz Carlton built in Naples.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 08:52 AM

I stayed at The Breakers a few weeks ago on business. It's an incredible hotel and a beautiful property right on the ocean. There were 4 or 5 really nice pools along a long elevated breakwall that goes along the ocean front (that the ocean "breaks" against). At the far (south) end of the property there is access to a nice, small beach area which is also part of the hotel property. This was the only beach area that was hotel property, although the pool areas are beautiful. The service and food were all top notch.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 09:48 AM

We planned a 5 day trip to the Breakers a number a years ago in the summer. When we got there, the place was absolutely deserted. One of the pools was closed; the halls echoed. We left early the next morning and haven't been back. I assume if you go during high season it's wonderful, but I wouldn't go during the summer. Oh, and one other thing...the shops on Worth Avenue were closed, too.
Old Jan 29th, 2003, 04:55 PM

I have been to their spa numerous times. When I entertain the girls in Fla., we drive up to the Breakers for a full day of spa luxury. I rate it truly one of the best in the nation. The hotel has a lot of ambiance, too. They just featured it on cable as one of the famous Florida mansions. I believe they said that the first 2 Breaker hotels burned to the ground and the one that stands is the third one! Good Luck!
Old Jan 30th, 2003, 10:11 AM

I never stayed there but when I lived in Palm Beach it sure looked like a great place. perfectly manicured grounds, just one of those picture perfect stately grand old hotels. another option would be the RitzCarlton in Manalapan (considered Palm Beach, but just a mile or so south of PB)
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM

Reply to JoeBob - You mentioned the Ritz but isn't there also a Four Seasons there? Can you tell me which one is closer to Worth Avenue shopping and other activities. Thanks