Redwoods or Lake Tahoe?

Sep 12th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Original Poster

Redwoods or Lake Tahoe?

We will be in Sunriver, OR., next summer with our kids (10, 8, 6 and 2). We will have 3 nights before the date that we need to be in San Francisco. We were planning in heading south via the Redwoods and stay one night in Crescent city, the second in Trinidad and the third in Mendocino. However someone suggested us to go to Lake Tahoe instead.
My question is what would be more special to see and experience.
If you know the Redwoods and would suggest staying in different towns than the ones that I suggested we welcome the advice. Thanks in advanced.
Sep 12th, 2019, 03:21 PM

I live between the two and own a condo at Lake Tahoe. I visit both frequently (used to own property just south of Mendocino) I would go to the Redwoods. Lake Tahoe is wonderful. But in the summer months parts can be very very crowded, and traffic can be bad in many places around the Lake. The Redwoods are a whole different world.

I would stay Ferndale or Trinidad, even though it is longer drive than Crescent City. However the drive from Sunriver will be quite long - at LEAST 6 hours car time (the drive to Lake Tahoe would be even longer).

I would not do three 1-night stands. I'd want something like 2 nights in Ferndale and one in Mendocino or vice versa.
Sep 19th, 2019, 02:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Janis once again! I have indeed been reading that Lake Tahoe can be very crowded in the summer. So we have decided to go to the Redwoods and folliwing your advice we’ll atay 2 nights in Trinidad and other 2 in Mendocino.
Sep 19th, 2019, 07:04 AM

That will be a lovely division of time.
Sep 19th, 2019, 07:34 AM

Depending on how you get to Sunriver, you might want to plan a route south on US 97 to Rt. 138 to get to the north entrance of Crater Lake NP. drive around the lake and then exit back out the north entrance and then head west on 138 down the Umpqua River to Roseburg. From Roseburg go north on I-5 a few miles and take Rt. 138 and 38 west to the coast and US 101. A few miles before you get to Reedsport, you have the chance to see some Roosevelt elk at the Dean's Creek Viewing area.
I realize that it is a long drive from Sunriver but it gets you a view of many of the things I love about Oregon. Soon after you get into California on US 101 you have a chance to see the "Trees of Mystery". It is a bit of a tourist trap but they do have a great view of the Coast Redwoods from a chairlift.
Oct 8th, 2019, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Tomfuller, thank you for your wonderful suggestions! We’ll try to follow them hiwever we’ll be travelling with a two year old so we’ll need to see how it goes.