Reload this Page >

red rock canyon or zion nat'l park

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 11:12 AM
Marsha

Will be in Las Vegas in July, driving from San Diego. How far is it from Vegas to these two locations and does anyone have a preference? I'm not sure how much time I want to spend in the car. Any other side trip suggestions? Will be in Vegas for 3 full days. Thanks.

Old Apr 24th, 1999, 05:19 PM
Marsha

Hi Marsha - Both excellent choices, and both very different. Red Rock Canyon is only about a 1/2 hr outside of Vegas, while Zion is maybe a 2 hr very scenic drive. If you wanted to stay closer to Vegas, consider seeing the spectacular Valley of Fire State Park, which is about a 1 hr drive from Vegas. By taking the scenic, but very desolate route, you'll have many 'Kodak' moments opportunities.

Can suggest Death Valley, which is about a 2-1/2 hr scenic drive from Vegas, although July probably isn't the best time to visit DV. The vastness of DV is overwhelming.

Scenic Airlines offers day trips to the Grand Canyon from Vegas if you're interested in leaving the car behind for a day.

You didn't mention if you're interested in doing any hiking at your destination, but by staying closer to Vegas, you could enjoy both Red Rock and Valley of Fire and still have time to see all that Vegas has to offer.

If time permits, stop at the Ethel M (as in Mars) candy factory, just outside of Vegas. They're got a great free tour of the candy making process (and delicious free candy samples after the tour), plus a very nice cactus garden adjacent to the factory. That's a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours.

There's also Hoover Dam to explore, although it sounds as if you'd prefer a National Park as your sidetrip.

Have a great time wherever you wind up.

Old Apr 25th, 1999, 03:18 PM
Polly

Marsha gave you wonderful advice. We loved Valley of Fire...wishy-washy about Red Rock Canyon, but it is SOOOOO close to Vegas you will not be wasting much time even if your impression is similar to mine. Besides, it is a great "natural" break from all the glitz...nothing against glitz, just that sometimes one might need to break it up. Since Marsha mentioned Ethyl M, I must also add the marshmallow factory. Though we had only adults in our party, I believe we all enjoyed watching the marshmallow process more than the candy. I can't remember the name or directions, but you should be able to get that information locally.

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 05:05 AM
Lincoln

I went to Red Rock Canyon last month. I went to Bonnie Ranch which is located 10 minutes away from the entrance to Red Rock Canyon and spent an hour horseback riding in the desert. I 've been to LV numerous times. That was my second best experiences. My first? Running into Michael Jordan while gambling at the Mirage.

Old Jun 5th, 1999, 02:47 PM
jack

Went to Zion. Unbelievable. Green oasis in the middle of these cliffs. Stay in the National Park Hotel if possible. Great hiking. This was a great trip and I recommend highly. Not too crowded even for summer.

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 03:55 PM
Karen

Chalk up another vote for Valley of Fire State Park. It's only about an hour from Vegas, not nearly as crowded as Zion and it's gorgeous to boot. We've camped there twice and I'm dying to go back a third time. I'm sure it will be blazingly hot in July though, about 10 degrees hotter than Vegas. But most of it is very accessible and, if you go early in the day, you can get some great hikes in (just be sure to bring LOTS of water on any hikes you do).

Zion is about another hour or two away, and way to big to do well as a day trip. Red Rock Canyon is ok too, but Valley of Fire is way better.