Search

Chicago Fireworks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13th, 1999, 09:32 PM
vicki

Chicago Fireworks

Will be in Chicago for a weeks vacation over the 4th.Of course will not miss the Taste-am wondering best place to view the fireworks-also is it practical to bring folding chairs or is just too crowfed for that. Thanks, Vicki

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 10:25 AM
Erika

I've been to the fireworks several times, and I think the best seating is on the stretch of grass that leads up to the Adler Planetarium, facing out over Lake Michigan. Folding chairs are fine - I would plan on getting there several hours early, as people usually get there in the late morning and start staking out (literally) their own place. DO NOT drive there, your best best is to take public transportation, but be warned that the ensuing mass hysteria to get home when the fireworks are over will find everyone cramming onto every bus and el stop imaginable, so don't plan on getting home anytime soon. If you are staying in a hotel, see if they will pack you a nice picnic basket, as you'll need something to eat while you are waiting for the show. Even though it can all be a pain in the you know what, the thrill of listening to the 1812 Overture while watching the fantastic fireworks show is well worth any hassles.

Old Jun 14th, 1999, 10:26 AM
Erika

I've been to the fireworks several times, and I think the best seating is on the stretch of grass that leads up to the Adler Planetarium, facing out over Lake Michigan. Folding chairs are fine - I would plan on getting there several hours early, as people usually get there in the late morning and start staking out (literally) their own place. DO NOT drive there, your best best is to take public transportation, but be warned that the ensuing mass hysteria to get home when the fireworks are over will find everyone cramming onto every bus and el stop imaginable, so don't plan on getting home anytime soon. If you are staying in a hotel, see if they will pack you a nice picnic basket, as you'll need something to eat while you are waiting for the show. Even though it can all be a pain in the you know what, the thrill of listening to the 1812 Overture while watching the fantastic fireworks show is well worth any hassles.

Old Jun 15th, 1999, 08:53 PM
carmine

My family & I love to view the fireworks from the Navy Pier-great vantage point. Have a good time

Old Jun 18th, 1999, 08:44 PM
marc

Vicki,I like to hang with the crowda in Grant Park to see the fireworks-its truely an awesome sight.